British Speedway Forum

U-21 FINAL: BERWICK, Wednesday, October 21st

Despite refreshing the website and Facebook page the first I heard about the alternative stream was a posting in the comments section of Speedway Updates. By that point I had no need to keep checking so I assume that they were both updated afterwards. 

It's all very unfortunate, as was the cancellation of the semi and final. Perhaps it might have been wiser to announce their cancellation earlier, say prior to the last four heats, when it surely must have become clear that the curfew was going to be broken. That way we could have realised at the time that  Bewley's fifth win had earned him the title. 

Given the power problems they did well to get the meeting on. Sadly the draw meant a very large proportion of uncompetitive races followed by a remarkable situation of having four unbeaten riders in heat 16. 

As I've said elsewhere it was a frustrating disappointment, no doubt also for Berwick Speedway and the streaming company. I have fond memories of trips to Shielfield Park. I'm just disappointed to have been let down this time.  

2 hours ago, Fromafar said:

I think the main problem being the link did not give any indication that it was broken, just said waiting for Berwick Speedway Website after the count down had finished, and as the count down worked it was easy to assume there was still something wrong for everyone.Still live and learn.

I'm afraid I not tech savvy enough to know how you inform people that a link is broken via a broken link :blush: It would have been nice to put some form of digital test card up but as I say the nuts and bolts of whether that is even possible are beyond me. 

Ironically had there been a crowd in the stadium we would have started on time as the power fault was identified and rectified by 6.50ish. It was restoring the livestream link that then took time.  

As you say there is a lot to be learned and some of the criticism will undoubtedly be useful going forward.

Announcing the cancellation of the semis and final earlier? Yeah I take the point but in a way you could not make a decision until the very minute that it became impossible to run them within the curfew. Had Drew Kemp not hit the fence with such a clout in heat 16 then it may have been possible to get the final three races in, from memory the decision was not made until just after that and announced as soon as was humanly possible.

20 heats with everyone having met once was a logical cut-off in sporting terms. After that you are committed to completing three more races come what may. 

Edited by George Dodds

1 hour ago, George Dodds said:

I'm afraid I not tech savvy enough to know how you inform people that a link is broken via a broken link :blush: It would have been nice to put some form of digital test card up but as I say the nuts and bolts of whether that is even possible are beyond me. 

I don't know who it was but there was a user called "Berwick Speedway" that was up until a point telling viewers on the stream's chat window that things would be up and running soon... only the last we heard from them was at about 19:10. The chat window was still live on the dead link at 19:30 as it was by chance that I saw that other users were saying that a new stream had been created

3 hours ago, RobMcCaffery said:

Despite refreshing the website and Facebook page the first I heard about the alternative stream was a posting in the comments section of Speedway Updates. By that point I had no need to keep checking so I assume that they were both updated afterwards. 

Yet when someone here asked why the stream that was supposed to start at 7.30 wasn’t live after 7.30 you spoke to them like a piece of crap on the bottom of your shoe.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, iainb said:

I don't know who it was but there was a user called "Berwick Speedway" that was up until a point telling viewers on the stream's chat window that things would be up and running soon... only the last we heard from them was at about 19:10. The chat window was still live on the dead link at 19:30 as it was by chance that I saw that other users were saying that a new stream had been created

Sorry not being obtuse but I don't know how Youtube's chat windows switch on and off

48 minutes ago, Ben91 said:

Yet when someone here asked why the stream that was supposed to start at 7.30 wasn’t live after 7.30 you spoke to them like a piece of crap on the bottom of your shoe.

He seems to do that to 95% of people he converses with on here. Thankfully, majority of us realise what a bell end he is and just ignore him. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, George Dodds said:

Ironically had there been a crowd in the stadium we would have started on time as the power fault was identified and rectified by 6.50ish. It was restoring the livestream link that then took time.  

As you say there is a lot to be learned and some of the criticism will undoubtedly be useful going forward.

Announcing the cancellation of the semis and final earlier? Yeah I take the point but in a way you could not make a decision until the very minute that it became impossible to run them within the curfew. Had Drew Kemp not hit the fence with such a clout in heat 16 then it may have been possible to get the final three races in, from memory the decision was not made until just after that and announced as soon as was humanly possible.

20 heats with everyone having met once was a logical cut-off in sporting terms. After that you are committed to completing three more races come what may. 

I would like to feel more confident that "lessons really will be learnt" as that is very rare among speedway promoters in 21st Century UK domestic speedway. It should have been an excellent Live Stream taster from a club and if no-one there is tech savvy enough, it may be better not to try again? I was very, disappointed and scored it as 2/10 for effort.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, emilali said:

He seems to do that to 95% of people he converses with on here. Thankfully, majority of us realise what a bell end he is and just ignore him. 

I can always find a little bit of time in my day to call someone out when it’s required. Especially someone who seemingly takes pleasure in talking to others like dirt. 

1 hour ago, Ben91 said:

That is your interpretation. I was simply expressing frustration that having taken the trouble to find out what was going on there was a succession of people lazily coming into the conversation and asking what was going on. If they'd bothered to read a few posts back the answer was there. 

Now I am direct in my approach since I don't believe in wasting time, especially on some of the people you get in here. You choose to interpret that in the way you choose. It was not intended that way. Most of what I post here is an attempt to inform or explain things to people and it is deeply frustrating to have that goodwill walked over by the lazy and stupid. If anyone has a go at me they can expect to get it back with interest. It's necessary given the nature of too many people in this forum, most of which is utter rubbish. There are some excellent contributors posting useful information here which is why I still use it. Sadly too many are like you. You're on ignore now so hopefully this is the last I will  hear from you. 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, emilali said:

Emali, I am only direct with those who force me to  be. This forum is full of loudmouthed idiots and if they don't like me, well quite frankly I could not give a damn. In fact I'd be worried if they did. There are some excellent people in this forum who post valuable information and insight. Sadly they are drowned out by the utter morons like you and Ben91. 

I just want to enjoy the sport I love.  I have enough friends in the sport to be totally unconcerned by ignorant abuse from someone cowardly hiding behind a stupid name. I do hope idiots like you ignore me since it saves having to block you. Unfortunately I now have to. It's certainly not my loss. 

When I look at a posting like yours it only reminds me how many here just aren't worth helping, as I was reminded on the night.

Shame this discussion had to take place on a Berwick-related thread. It's a track that I've always enjoyed visiting over the past 40-odd years. Lovely people. You could take lessons from them, whoever you are. 

Apologies to the decent people in the forum for having to deal with these cases of human waste. I obviously won't be making further comment. I didn't want to now but given the offensive nature of your post in the absence of moderation in the forum I've had to let you know that you crossed a line. 

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, RobMcCaffery said:

Emali, I am only direct with those who force me to  be. This forum is full of loudmouthed idiots and if they don't like me, well quite frankly I could not give a damn. In fact I'd be worried if they did. There are some excellent people in this forum who post valuable information and insight. Sadly they are drowned out by the utter morons like you and Ben91. 

I just want to enjoy the sport I love.  I have enough friends in the sport to be totally unconcerned by ignorant abuse from someone cowardly hiding behind a stupid name. I do hope idiots like you ignore me since it saves having to block you. Unfortunately I now have to. It's certainly not my loss. 

When I look at a posting like yours it only reminds me how many here just aren't worth helping, as I was reminded on the night.

Shame this discussion had to take place on a Berwick-related thread. It's a track that I've always enjoyed visiting over the past 40-odd years. Lovely people. You could take lessons from them, whoever you are. 

Apologies to the decent people in the forum for having to deal with these cases of human waste. I obviously won't be making further comment. I didn't want to now but given the offensive nature of your post in the absence of moderation in the forum I've had to let you know that you crossed a line. 

Be thankful the forum isn’t over moderated. You’d be on a life time ban long ago, the way you talk to people. Although you said you were leaving enough times, they probably thought it wasn’t nece:rolleyes:ssary 

• Like 2

Just now, iris123 said:

Be thankful the forum isn’t over moderated. You’d be on a life time ban long ago, the way you talk to people. Although you said you were leaving enough times, they probably thought it wasn’t nece:rolleyes:ssary 

We’re all just human waste living in Rob’s world. But it’s fine for him to call us it. We’re morons for not agreeing with every word he posts. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, skydog said:

Changing the subject... can anyone confirm whether it was going to be 2 semi finals or 1? Updates said 1 but the commentator kept saying people were still in with a shout when they clearly werent going to make top 6?

I believe it was going to be two semi-finals and it was to be something along the the lines of top scorer in alongside 6th,7th & 8th placed riders.
There never seems to be an consistency to how and if they run last chance saloon heats.

5 minutes ago, cinderfella said:

I believe it was going to be two semi-finals and it was to be something along the the lines of top scorer in alongside 6th,7th & 8th placed riders.
There never seems to be an consistency to how and if they run last chance saloon heats.

If that was the case it would be bonkers as finishing 6th 7th 8th gives you a better chance of progress from the semi than 2nd 3rd 4th and 5th

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, dontforgetthefueltapsbruv said:

If that was the case it would be bonkers as finishing 6th 7th 8th gives you a better chance of progress from the semi than 2nd 3rd 4th and 5th

I was surprised when I heard the guy doing the commentary say that.
I suppose arguably it gives the top scorer a better chance but we all know nothing is given in this crazy sport.

2 hours ago, cinderfella said:

Think it would be 1,3,5,7  and2,4,6,8, in the 2 semi finals surely.