British Speedway Forum

U-21 FINAL: BERWICK, Wednesday, October 21st

I watched and have donated, and whilst the weather played a big part in the racing, I must admit that I was disappointed (to say the least) with the camera work.

Fortunately I managed to find the stream (eventually) thanks to others!

In my humble opinion the home straight camera was actually too close to the track, making it hard for the camera operator to follow riders as they zoomed past. The finish line camera, again was too close and the majority of the picture was taken up by the start marshall and the flag.

Hopefully the production team will learn from the constructive comments of others. I would give them a second chance if there was to be another stream from Berwick, but it would have to show a massive improvement for me to be a regular watcher.

Edited by Gambo
  • Like 4

Hopefully Berwick aren’t discouraged from doing this in future after last night, as they really aught to make streaming the new normal (geo blocked of course).

Many lessons to be learnt. 

I think the producer may have over thought it, the amount of camera changes were quite distracting. Less is more? Never gonna be a BT standard production so I wouldn’t even try from that aspect. 

• Like 2

I think the overall production showed lack of experience.
The only graphics were heat sponsors and the line up/gate positions before each heat. Not giving the heat results and times and even cumulative scores was poor and basic info missed.
The constant switching to the (static) camera on the 3rd bend between races was monotonous and would have been better filled by heat result graphics given there was no replay facility.
Berwick and their TV crew can only learn and lets hope they do listen and take on board the constructive criticism.

Some are saying they had difficulty finding the stream.  I went to YouTube, typed in “Berwick Speedway under 21” and it was there in front of me.   The racing wasn’t spectacular, I said previously the riders were probably lacking race experience this year, but obviously a big gap between the top four and the rest.  Could put up with the camera work, though it could have been better, and will with experience and feedback. A big fault is the meeting didn’t run smoothly. The two semis and final was possible if there hadn’t been so many delays for what seemed nothing.               
I donated £5, would have been a tenner if it had been a good meeting.

3 minutes ago, OveFundinFan said:

Some are saying they had difficulty finding the stream.  I went to YouTube, typed in “Berwick Speedway under 21” and it was there in front of me.   The racing wasn’t spectacular, I said previously the riders were probably lacking race experience this year, but obviously a big gap between the top four and the rest.  Could put up with the camera work, though it could have been better, and will with experience and feedback. A big fault is the meeting didn’t run smoothly. The two semis and final was possible if there hadn’t been so many delays for what seemed nothing.               
I donated £5, would have been a tenner if it had been a good meeting.

Lucky you, you must have landed on the fresh page they had created, as said there were 1800 of us on the original link, watching a black screen even though the meeting had started and was being shown on the link you were on, it was ht3 by the time I got there.    I only watched one heat and gave up, so I didn't contribute, would have if they'd managed to communicate properly.  Have happily paid for tonights meeting even though I probably won't be able to see it live, am confident enough that I'll enjoy it 'as live' tomorrow morning, decent track, decent production etc.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Pinny said:

The future of UK speedway is very bleak. Sad but true. 

The thing is there are three groups of people involved in speedway: the Promoters/owners, the riders and the paying fans.
Each group has it's own ideas as to what is needed to get the sport back to it's glory days.
Problem is there has never been a facility for representatives of these three groups to sit sit down and discuss ideas and until there is the standard of the sport will continue to be diluted till it dies.

5 hours ago, cinderfella said:

Just out of interest does anyone know why Leon Flint was wearing, R, B, W & Y body colours while everyone else wore standard meeting issue?

Surely not psychological gamesmanship? Lol

five different sponsors came forward for him. Same with Kyle Bickley and, from memory, Drew Kemp.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Midland Red said:

Much better that the winner was decided over the 20 heats, instead of the Mickey Mouse add ons

I ve seen a few people say this, but I couldn't disagree more.

The riders in heat 16 knew they had made semis and therefore could settle for positions. Had the 4 riders known that race would decide the title they would have almost certainly approached the race differently...

Hope Dan Gilkes is feeling better today, and Drew Kemp is ok after his heavy off.

Would loved to have seen another angle of the Rowe pass on Lawlor to see how tight that really was. 

Having had a year on big wide slick tracks in Poland, a grippy narrow Berwick must of felt a bit strange but felt he continued to demonstrate his continued development.

Also worth noting that the vast majority of riders involved last night have multiple years left at this level... so if we keep them all fit and improving over the coming seasons I still feel there is plenty to be excited about. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, teaboy279 said:

I ve seen a few people say this, but I couldn't disagree more.

The riders in heat 16 knew they had made semis and therefore could settle for positions. Had the 4 riders known that race would decide the title they would have almost certainly approached the race differently...

Hope Dan Gilkes is feeling better today, and Drew Kemp is ok after his heavy off.

Would loved to have seen another angle of the Rowe pass on Lawlor to see how tight that really was. 

Having had a year on big wide slick tracks in Poland, a grippy narrow Berwick must of felt a bit strange but felt he continued to demonstrate his continued development.

Also worth noting that the vast majority of riders involved last night have multiple years left at this level... so if we keep them all fit and improving over the coming seasons I still feel there is plenty to be excited about. 

Berwick is not that narrow though.! Track changes made it wider than it was and it was 
F.I.M approved before it was altered.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, teaboy279 said:

It would be interesting to know if the riders were pre-warned of the possible curfew kicking in bearing in mind the meeting started 45 minutes later than planned?

Would the riders have approached it differently though knowing the top scorers would have choice of gate positions?

11 minutes ago, teaboy279 said:

This is the key point for me, there is an age gap between Bewley and the best of the rest, and there are few that are 16. If all the de bet ones were 20/21 and at their current level it’d be different but they have several years left as junior riders.

• Like 1