British Speedway Forum

Torun GP 2nd - 3rd October

6 minutes ago, Mr. Clemens said:

Doesn't say a lot for the quality of riders in speedway does't ???  :rolleyes:

It doesn’t I’m afraid,but realistically there only 5 or 6 riders who could win the World Championship with the present GP series,there are a few youngsters coming through but not GP standard and it is a struggle to be able to afford to compete at the Top Level.Young Poles have the best chance with Sponsership IMO.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Fromafar said:

It doesn’t I’m afraid,but realistically there only 5 or 6 riders who could win the World Championship with the present GP series,there are a few youngsters coming through but not GP standard and it is a struggle to be able to afford to compete at the Top Level.Young Poles have the best chance with Sponsership IMO.

I think the FIM and BSI want to get away from the possibility that the young Poles will come to dominate the GP's, which would be great for Poland but not for world speedway as those 2 bodies might possibly see it.

They know that once Polish domination is total, interest from audiences around the world will diminish accordingly.

The problem these bodies have, regarding young riders from other countries becoming good enough, is the reason you gave and it will be interesting to see how they solve it. Perhaps they could sponsor them themselves.

14 minutes ago, Mr. Clemens said:

I think the FIM and BSI want to get away from the possibility that the young Poles will come to dominate the GP's, which would be great for Poland but not for world speedway as those 2 bodies might possibly see it.

They know that once Polish domination is total, interest from audiences around the world will diminish accordingly.

The problem these bodies have, regarding young riders from other countries becoming good enough, is the reason you gave and it will be interesting to see how they solve it. Perhaps they could sponsor them themselves.

It’s a sad reflection on a Professional Sport that the best riders don't get a equal chance of reaching the Top wherever  they were born.IMO.

It doesn’t happen in other forms of Motorbike Sport.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Mr. Clemens said:

I'd be very surprised if the FIM & BSI were that forward thinking.

• Like 2

On 9/24/2020 at 11:52 PM, THE DEAN MACHINE said:

We finally got a refund from Toruń today, bsi were worse than useless 

How did you go about getting refund?  I have mailed Toun multiple times and received a read receipt to my mails, but they have not replied to any of them.

15 hours ago, steve69 said:

Anyone know if the Torun trams will be free again this year to Speedway fans this weekend?

They have been for the last few years.

Gonna have to risk it.

Just too far to walk from the centre!!!

First world problem

20 hours ago, steve69 said:

Anyone know if the Torun trams will be free again this year to Speedway fans this weekend?

They have been for the last few years.

Gonna have to risk it.

Just too far to walk from the centre!!!

At 2.70zl each way or a massive fine if you risk it I know what I’ll be doing 

1 hour ago, iainb said:

Just heard on the radio this morning that Poland is to be added to the quarantine list at the weekend

Nothing is definite at the moment, but the chatter seems to be suggesting it will happen. The Independent's travel editor Simon Calder was (he said) packing for a trip to Poland, but intended to be back by Saturday 4am as "Poland is for the chop".

Poland was allegedly close in August to going on the naughty list, fingers crossed it slips through the net again or perhaps we re-calibrate our rules ! 

Rico :rolleyes:

With the decision on Poland being added to the quarantine list due to be announced on the same day as most UK flights to Poland leave (tomorrow), and the added restrictions announced by the Polish government, this is becoming increasingly difficult trip to justify. Has anyone else heard anything about crowds etc being limited further? 

49 minutes ago, googlehead said:

With the decision on Poland being added to the quarantine list due to be announced on the same day as most UK flights to Poland leave (tomorrow), and the added restrictions announced by the Polish government, this is becoming increasingly difficult trip to justify. Has anyone else heard anything about crowds etc being limited further? 

we are supposed to be flying out on Friday morn but it's all looking doubtful now. None of our party can isolate upon return and not willing to risk not obeying it either. Really bad timing it seems. We still hold out hope though!

We’ve just got to wait until the FCO makes an announcement tomorrow

The Polish government have added restrictions to bars and restaurants in the heavily affected areas from what I can gather

Until the minister make’s an announcement you can’t do anything

At least you’re going to know before you travel as in  previous years we’ve gone out on the Thursday and then you’d have been struggling to get back maybe

Edited by par_darrell

3 hours ago, par_darrell said:

We’ve just got to wait until the FCO makes an announcement tomorrow

The Polish government have added restrictions to bars and restaurants in the heavily affected areas from what I can gather

Until the minister make’s an announcement you can’t do anything

At least you’re going to know before you travel as in  previous years we’ve gone out on the Thursday and then you’d have been struggling to get back maybe

This may help you.   I used it for a trip to another country in the summer, think it is updated daily.  Type the name of the country in the box top right corner    https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/poland

Edited by Mark

22 hours ago, jhproductions said:

None of our party can isolate upon return and not willing to risk not obeying it either.

Yes it's a big risk, I understand they've repainted the TV Licence detector vans to catch people not obeying quarantine :rofl:

• Haha 2