British Speedway Forum

British final 2020

37 minutes ago, iainb said:

Not for me... I would assume that those that aren't riding have been offered the opportunity to ride and have declined. The quality of the line-up has been on the decline for years but as you said yourself you can only race what's in front of you. I can understand the reasoning of those that are riding abroad not to return to the UK for 1 meeting, but Tai wasn't going to ride in it anyway. The one's that do surprise me are Wright & Nicholls... not surprised at all by Cook's non appearance

Speedway being the expensive sport it is for riders (and folk wishing to stream ;) ) can you really blame riders for not wishing to put their machinery on the line for one meeting which  is to all intents and purposes meaningless as it isn't the usual entrance to a GP appearance.  Riders could blow an engine or wreck a bike in one race and with no further meeting to recoup their losses they can hardly be blamed for wanting to keep their machinery ready for (the?) next season.
Several riders have stated that with not having ridden this year they are not 'match fit' and that their judgement may not be what it should be and thus costly mistakes both injury and financially may occur.

Here's wishing a good and safe meeting for all involved.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, cinderfella said:

Speedway being the expensive sport it is for riders (and folk wishing to stream ;) ) can you really blame riders for not wishing to put their machinery on the line for one meeting which  is to all intents and purposes meaningless as it isn't the usual entrance to a GP appearance.  Riders could blow an engine or wreck a bike in one race and with no further meeting to recoup their losses they can hardly be blamed for wanting to keep their machinery ready for (the?) next season.
Several riders have stated that with not having ridden this year they are not 'match fit' and that their judgement may not be what it should be and thus costly mistakes both injury and financially may occur.

No, can't blame them at all... I just think it shows what some rider's attitudes are to the national championship, like I say, not surprised by Cook am surprised by Nicholls, was a great opportunity for him to add an 8th title, especially around Ippo

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SPEEDY69 said:

I wasn't intending to be rude to you so apologies if that's how you read it - there appears many on here questioning the price of the stream and saying it's too high. Cutting 1500 off the gate obviously left them with a sizeable gap to fill. 

No apology required. We were simply talking at crossed purposes. 

Whilst I have no expectation that the BSPA will do so, wouldn't it be refreshing if they were transparent about it and gave purchasers a bit of extra info to explain? I've seen a Speedway GB post on Facebook in which they say it is comparable to other similar events - which suggests that they think it is the going rate rather than that it includes a premium to recoup lost income caused by the cut in numbers allowed in

I'm not going to be overly critical because the BSPA have got a meeting on, in trying circumstances, and by arranging a stream have made it available to whoever wants to watch. 

Edited by Sir Sidney

Went to Plymouth on 8th to watch Eastbourne win the 3 team tournament, great meeting well done Plymouth promoters.  Next week I will be watching Eastbourne team riding again, well almost (5 out of the 7 anyway)  and hopefully seeing one of them win or finish on the podium in the British Final.  I don't care if it does to some seem a weak line up at least it makes a change to the doom and gloom in the News broadcasts and the offerings being shown by terrestrial channels on TV (I don't have Sky etc). Just wish I had been able to get a ticket.

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, cinderfella said:

Never understand this thinking of Yours (and many others in the UK) - how can a British Championship Final ever be meaningless ?

This is not a Mickey Mouse trophy event, this is a National Championship. I mean if that does not mean anything to You, what does ?

The Wild Card for the British Grand Prix is an additional bonbon for the winner, but is rather meaningless, compared to the title of British Champion.

On 9/16/2020 at 12:40 PM, Grachan said:

That's the thing, isn't it!

Woffinden - grows up in Australia, chooses to ride for Team GB, and people say he is Australian.

Crump - grows up in England, choose to ride for Australia, and people say he is Australian.

Anyone else notice a slight inconsistency there?

Yes I always saw that inconsistency. The difference between the two though is that Jason has never identified as British. He has Australian parents & even though he was born and spent a significant amount of his childhood in the UK he has always been an Aussie through & through. He's never spoken with an English accent and is 100% commited to Australia.

Tai on the other hand, even though he was born in the UK to British parents, speaks with an Aussie accent, identifies as Australian and only chose to represent GB as a career move rather than a genuine affinity. I think that's the difference people see.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a hater, that's just an observation. I'm also excited to see Jason in the British Final but I hope he doesn't win :)

1 hour ago, Bavarian said:

Never understand this thinking of Yours (and many others in the UK) - how can a British Championship Final ever be meaningless ?

This is not a Mickey Mouse trophy event, this is a National Championship. I mean if that does not mean anything to You, what does ?

The Wild Card for the British Grand Prix is an additional bonbon for the winner, but is rather meaningless, compared to the title of British Champion.

This year it is simply a Title against rider who chose to ride. It has to be said that the best of the British riders have for various reason declined to ride in the event to although the winner still has to beat the other riders in the field it is a diluted standard he is against. In days gone past riders had to qualify for the British Final often through several qualifiers whereas this field is as good as an invitation event with some riders there purely because other rider of (quite honestly) a higher standard declined.
As I said before being the British Champion ensured a place as a wild card at the prestigious GP but no such accolade this year and that is why, in my opinion, the meeting should have been more accurately rename The British OPEN Championship.

The title of British Champion should be the honour given to he who beats the  best of the rest and not an invited line-up.

• Thanks 1

There is a possibility of course that to get the government to agree to it as a test event it had to be something perceived as more prestigious such as THE British Final 

Why agree to an extra event if the BSPA asked to be able to run a random meaningless Open meeting

• Like 1

Okay I'm probably being a numpty here but I'm a bit of a technophobe so how do you get the stream.

I've just read about it in the Star and it said it can be ordered from sportcentral.tv?

I Googled that on my phone and can't even find it. I don't have a PC, laptop or tablet so only have this phone. Can it be Chromecast from phone or downloaded on a smart TV? 

Sadly the sport is bedevilled by this 'meaningless' rubbish. To me, all meetings are a night/afternoon at the Speedway. That's how it was when I first fell in love with speedway and it sustains my love for the sport. Racing matters, not rider status. Last night's Prague GP is a case in point. It was certainly 'meaningful' to most but it was a bore. I'm looking forward to the British Youth Championship round at Armadale later. It doesn't carry much 'meaning' but I suspect I'll see better racing.

'Meaningless' has seen varied fixture lists running to 26-30 weekly meetings to almost half as many occasional but 'meaningful' meetings and seasons that once ran through to October sometimes ending as early as August.

This isn't progress, it's regress and the sooner this mock-intelligent 'meaningful' sneering ends, the healthier the sport will be.

I was a customer for the Plymouth 3TT stream and once the riders had settled it was good fun. Oh yes, sport can be fun, even if the result doesn't matter.

Sadly the damage is done and the sport is all the poorer for it.

As for this year's British Final, the First step to winning anything is to enter. The sixteen racing at Foxhall have made that essential start and hopefully the result will be an entertaining one.

'Meaningless' has killed much in speedway - effectively almost all speedway that isn't linked to a major title. Individuals, pairs and 4TTs and challenges have mainly been lost. That's a lot of speedway gone. 

The next step? "Speedway? Meaningless".

Let's just allow ourselves to enjoy speedway and drop this damaging and stupid posturing. 

Edited by RobMcCaffery
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, AFCB Wildcat said:

Okay I'm probably being a numpty here but I'm a bit of a technophobe so how do you get the stream.

I've just read about it in the Star and it said it can be ordered from sportcentral.tv?

I Googled that on my phone and can't even find it. I don't have a PC, laptop or tablet so only have this phone. Can it be Chromecast from phone or downloaded on a smart TV? 

Yes, can cast it from a phone ok

1 hour ago, screm said:

Berwick`s Kyle Bickley replaces Dan Bewley who has decided he would rather ride in Poland.

I take it the "riding in your 'National Championship' takes precedence" rule doesn't exist anymore then?

Call it a Commonwealth Championship or whatever title fits those riders who are willing to underwrite the even by turning up, subject always to the BLM and any other group or movement not getting the hump because it falls foul of their agenda but for christ sake support it to promote British speedway. Who cares if they are Australian, European or British. Having a stream so that those who wish to tune in can do so given that the current owners of the rights to broadcast will not show it live means the stream is a plus and will make a difference. Why not see how it goes but do not knock it before those willing to gamble financially on the event and have invested in bringing it to a live screening have been given a chance so it could be just what the sport needs. If it works an a price point that can be agreed who knows where it could lead with lower league meetings being screened.

As to those riders who do not want to ride, it is up to them. Just remember when the sport really needed you, as the opt out group, you decided it was not for you and you have turned your back on U.K. speedway which is fine but don’t expect many to welcome with open arms in 2021.  

The fact that this meeting is going ahead is an attempt by the sport authorities to comply at a professional level with government guidelines so it is not comparable with Plymouth or any other streamed event and I really do not get all the criticism given this is not a normal situation.  

Everyone has been starved of their weekly fix and this is an opportunity to get behind this one off meeting as you will never know what you have missed until it no longer exists. Riders and supporters need to be on the same wavelength for the sake of Speedway U K  and those who can get behind this, think on.

12 minutes ago, Hawk127 said:

Call it a Commonwealth Championship or whatever title fits those riders who are willing to underwrite the even by turning up, subject always to the BLM and any other group or movement not getting the hump because it falls foul of their agenda but for christ sake support it to promote British speedway. Who cares if they are Australian, European or British. Having a stream so that those who wish to tune in can do so given that the current owners of the rights to broadcast will not show it live means the stream is a plus and will make a difference. Why not see how it goes but do not knock it before those willing to gamble financially on the event and have invested in bringing it to a live screening have been given a chance so it could be just what the sport needs. If it works an a price point that can be agreed who knows where it could lead with lower league meetings being screened.

As to those riders who do not want to ride, it is up to them. Just remember when the sport really needed you, as the opt out group, you decided it was not for you and you have turned your back on U.K. speedway which is fine but don’t expect many to welcome with open arms in 2021.  

The fact that this meeting is going ahead is an attempt by the sport authorities to comply at a professional level with government guidelines so it is not comparable with Plymouth or any other streamed event and I really do not get all the criticism given this is not a normal situation.  

Everyone has been starved of their weekly fix and this is an opportunity to get behind this one off meeting as you will never know what you have missed until it no longer exists. Riders and supporters need to be on the same wavelength for the sake of Speedway U K  and those who can get behind this, think on.

Couldn't agree less. As I've stated elsewhere if a rider who has spent money on equipment blows an engine or wrecks his frame he is going to be well out of pocket with no other meeting to earn for repairs.
Riders who chose to keep their machinery ready for next season have the right to be respected  just as those who (were invited to) ride and should not be discriminated against in any way next year. I assume you obviously object to Tai riding for Team GB as he declined to ride in the British Leagues when arguably, as a multiple World Champion, he is needed to boost the sport?
Remember Glasgow pulled out of the league this year well ahead of everyone else. Don't think we will see them getting turned away next year.

Edited by cinderfella
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, cinderfella said:

Couldn't agree less. As I've stated elsewhere if a rider who has spent money on equipment blows an engine or wrecks his frame he is going to be well out of pocket with no other meeting to earn for repairs.
Riders who chose to keep their machinery ready for next season have the right to be respected  just as those who (were invited to) ride and should not be discriminated against in any way next year. I assume you obviously object to Tai riding for Team GB as he declined to ride in the British Leagues when arguably, as a multiple World Champion, he is needed to boost the sport?
Remember Glasgow pulled out of the league this year well ahead of everyone else. Don't think we will see them getting turned away next year.

You are entitled to your opinion and I respect what you are saying. However a business decision by a club many months back is just that and only time has proved them right. What you are seemingly referring to is a risk assessment and that is not a level playing field as it is a matter of personal judgement. Each rider determines the risks in normal circumstances but these are not normal and for example many riders compete in open meetings at the beginning of a season and blow engines, have crashes, damage frames etc. so the same risks apply. Wrecking a frame or blowing an engine is irrelevant, it is part and parcel of the sport. Those participating in speedway have ideas and goals above expectations. 

To all intense and purposes speedway in the U.K. is an amateur sport filled with riders who have expectations beyond those which can now be fulfilled and many riders think it owes them a living but in reality it cannot afford these people any longer as the money is not in the sport.