British Speedway Forum

Peterborough Panthers 2021

On 3/19/2021 at 2:51 PM, Daniel Smith said:

To be fair, I don't see the discrimination. Also, the East of England Showground website no longer itself advertise disabled parking within the venue. 

"There are numerous designated disabled parking bays at key locations points within the parking areas." 

Taking the EoES out of it because it was a club decision to remove a working system that had been in place for the best part of 20 seasons for their disabled customers, here's the potential discrimination for you to see: -  indirect discrimination - putting rules or arrangements in place that apply to everyone, but that put someone with a protected characteristic (ie disability) at an unfair disadvantage.

It has to be said that they are probably legally entitled to do what they've done with good justification (not that I'm sure that it'd be a legal matter anyway?). I doubt that their current explanation would win the day if it ever came to that, which it will not. I remember Jim Lynch threatening to take the EoES to court when Mercer arrived at the EoES as CEO and threw the disabled out. That probably put the rent up a few hundred quid.

If the club are happy to take the hit of losing paying customers and resulting poor public relations at this time in particular then more fool them perhaps!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Crump99 said:

Taking the EoES out of it because it was a club decision to remove a working system that had been in place for the best part of 20 seasons for their disabled customers, here's the potential discrimination for you to see: -  indirect discrimination - putting rules or arrangements in place that apply to everyone, but that put someone with a protected characteristic (ie disability) at an unfair disadvantage.

It has to be said that they are probably legally entitled to do what they've done with good justification (not that I'm sure that it'd be a legal matter anyway?). I doubt that their current explanation would win the day if it ever came to that, which it will not. I remember Jim Lynch threatening to take the EoES to court when Mercer arrived at the EoES as CEO and threw the disabled out. That probably put the rent up a few hundred quid.

If the club are happy to take the hit of losing paying customers and resulting poor public relations at this time in particular then more fool them perhaps!

That's the thing. Many know I can't stand the way Buster does thing's, he's the reason I no longer go to Speedway, but, I genuinely believe Buster wouldn't have done this without the pressure being put on by the EoES owners. I know someone had a response from the owners saying it wasn't them, but do you really believe that?? 

Buster has made absolutely massive strides at King's Lynn to include ALL disabilities. Viewing areas, access around the whole stadium, improved parking etc etc. 

I'm not having it that he's gone to Peterborough and though "let's make thing's difficult for the disabled."

Buster is very very pro-inclusion, absolutely no way he would have made this choice without EoES input. Yes, he's a stubborn man but absolutely no way would he be happy himself with this situation. 

At the end of the day, he rents, the landlords own rules is that disabled parking is around the perimeter. Just because something has been done for 20yrs doesn't automatically give it a right to remain.

Having been to the EoES on TruckFests, antique fares, the disabled find ways of getting around. 

My question will always be 'If you don't have options to be able to get from the car park to the main stand at Peterborough, obviously you live a reclusive life which you don't have to do. 

Just for the record, I'm also disabled 

5 hours ago, Daniel Smith said:

That's the thing. Many know I can't stand the way Buster does thing's, he's the reason I no longer go to Speedway, but, I genuinely believe Buster wouldn't have done this without the pressure being put on by the EoES owners. I know someone had a response from the owners saying it wasn't them, but do you really believe that?? 

Buster has made absolutely massive strides at King's Lynn to include ALL disabilities. Viewing areas, access around the whole stadium, improved parking etc etc. 

I'm not having it that he's gone to Peterborough and though "let's make thing's difficult for the disabled."

Buster is very very pro-inclusion, absolutely no way he would have made this choice without EoES input. Yes, he's a stubborn man but absolutely no way would he be happy himself with this situation. 

At the end of the day, he rents, the landlords own rules is that disabled parking is around the perimeter. Just because something has been done for 20yrs doesn't automatically give it a right to remain.

Having been to the EoES on TruckFests, antique fares, the disabled find ways of getting around. 

My question will always be 'If you don't have options to be able to get from the car park to the main stand at Peterborough, obviously you live a reclusive life which you don't have to do. 

I am that person that had the E Mail which was unequivocal that this was not down to the EOES( I still have the E Mail).  At the time Peterborough was run by a triumvirate of Buster, Colin Pratt and Carl Johnson. I do not necessarily think the instigator was Buster.  As a matter of interest last time  I went to KL there were no designated Disabled Spaces  but the did try to direct BB holders to a small area near the ticket office. However the entire KL car park is nearer to the Arena than  even the existing arrangements at EOES.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Daniel Smith said:

The club have made no secret in the past of where the trouble lies regarding parking so I’m not buying silence and taking the rap this time. Of course nobody wants to make things difficult but ill-conceived and rushed decisions often have that effect. As far as we know, the landlord delegates parking to individual events and if the said event has the organisation and capacity for internal parking then they could use it? Don’t really get the last bit. Disabled concessions are about making things easier not more difficult. Whether anyone can possibly go that extra mile occasionally shouldn’t come into it.

A very admirable defence of Buster. Not seen too many of those but good to see.

I suspect that the problem here is that management take the view that they are management and  their decisions should not be questioned and that they will lose face if they back down. Something that can't be tolerated

8 minutes ago, wealdstone said:

I suspect that the problem here is that management take the view that they are management and  their decisions should not be questioned and that they will lose face if they back down. Something that can't be tolerated

Always a first.

54 minutes ago, wealdstone said:

Which management?? 

Buster regardless is going to be a villain Peterborough, I get that. 

The Speedway management have said the decision was made by the owners, the owners say it was the Speedway. 

Someone is lying, but that's where Buster does have issues, communication is dreadful, even when he's right. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Daniel Smith said:

Which management?? 

Buster regardless is going to be a villain Peterborough, I get that. 

The Speedway management have said the decision was made by the owners, the owners say it was the Speedway. 

Someone is lying, but that's where Buster does have issues, communication is dreadful, even when he's right. 

Amongst the triumvirate I am fairly certain it was not Buster. Agree that someone is lying ,I have it in writing ( well e mail ) that it was not EOES .  Carl Johnson has now gone. If ban continues  we will know  the guilty party. I will send you the E Mail if you like

• Like 1

As an away supporter I've been disappointed that car park charges apply when it is then followed by a walk of the distance that is needed to get to the track. I'm currently able to do it and feel extremely disappointed for those less physically able who want their Speedway fix. 

This situation is greatly compounded by this current Blue Badge status. Having assisted friends who are wheelchair bound to attend speedway meetings I have been amazed by the differing facilities and support offered at speedway tracks over the years.  For this to happen in 2021 is an embarrassment at both a Peterborough level and BSPL overall.

A thumbs up to those who have kept this topic live. 

A thumbs down to those who can get it sorted and haven't. 

• Like 6

4 hours ago, Lefty said:

As an away supporter I've been disappointed that car park charges apply when it is then followed by a walk of the distance that is needed to get to the track. I'm currently able to do it and feel extremely disappointed for those less physically able who want their Speedway fix. 

This situation is greatly compounded by this current Blue Badge status. Having assisted friends who are wheelchair bound to attend speedway meetings I have been amazed by the differing facilities and support offered at speedway tracks over the years.  For this to happen in 2021 is an embarrassment at both a Peterborough level and BSPL overall.

A thumbs up to those who have kept this topic live. 

A thumbs down to those who can get it sorted and haven't. 

I'm not too sure of the relevance of the car park charge? That's a separate issue I don't have a problem with, apart from Colin Horton bringing it in to allegedly cover the clubs SRBF contribution (if my memory serves me right), the charge sticking and subsequently seemingly just being subsumed in to running costs.

Also worth noting is the Blue Badge shake up 2019 to take in hidden disabilities. Wheelchairs and disability naturally have always seemed to go together but the criteria is somewhat wider these days covering all manner of physical and mental health issues.

Anyway, my last post on the matter. Noodles must be doing his nut :D

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/2/2021 at 1:29 PM, scoobydoo said:

Ahh for the National League days of the Easter Triangle 3TT

Then in later years on Good Friday it was Lynn in the morning,  Ipswich for the afternoon ,  then Peterborough in the evening

Sadly those great days seem to be gone for every had it not been for Covid I’m sure Kings Lynn would ran stock cars Good Friday instead of the inconvenience of speedway 

My first Lynn away meeting was at the Foxhole in Good Friday in 1992, the morning match was rained off and we travelled to Suffolk more in hope than expectation of seeing some racing but they’d had hardly any rain and Lynn won 48-42 secured by a last heat 5-1 from Gustafsson and Brhel, happy days. 

Top flight bank holiday meetings would be great but I don’t see it happening in the foreseeable future with fixed race nights etc. Buster would run cars at Lynn anyway for the extra income and I don’t really blame him.

Edited by Bagpuss

Talk about Bank Holiday doubles reminds me of the TRIPLES my parents and I went to for a few seasons. Rayleigh Speedway in the late morning followed by Rayleigh for PRI Bangers and either Anglia Rods or Mini Rods in the afternoon followed by the dash to Wimbledon for the evening Speedway. All done on public transport from Southfields with my mother having prepared a good lot of food that we had to carry around but at least the bags got lighter as the day went on. 

In later years White City and Walthamstow doubles were also good but did not involve Speedway. 

I’ve done Kings Lynn v Ipswich at 11am then down to Ipswich for the return meeting v Kings Lynn in the afternoon often used to start late to get the crowd in I seem to remember them dash back to Peterborough in the evening 3 in a day 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Haza said:

I’ve done Kings Lynn v Ipswich at 11am then down to Ipswich for the return meeting v Kings Lynn in the afternoon often used to start late to get the crowd in I seem to remember them dash back to Peterborough in the evening 3 in a day 

They were happy days. Watching Parker trying to steal the tractor at Foxhall , Buster coming to blows with the Ipswich officials , and Bunyan getting upset because the Stars fans laughed at him for demolishing the safety fence in all his rides.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, mrss said:

They were happy days. Watching Parker trying to steal the tractor at Foxhall , Buster coming to blows with the Ipswich officials , and Bunyan getting upset because the Stars fans laughed at him for demolishing the safety fence in all his rides.

Hi Guys, not stealing your thread but it sounds like happy days. We used have something similar at Swindon when we would race against Reading and Oxford in a three team tournament or race against Oxford away in the morning and home in the evening. Then after losing both Oxford and Reading, we then used to ride Poole away in the morning then home in the evening.

I remember one Good Friday back in 86 when we rode away at Oxford at 11 then we travelled onto Colchester to watch Swindon play there that evening. Sadly those enjoyable days have gone. At least you have some speedway to look forward to this season.

6 hours ago, Chris116 said:

Talk about Bank Holiday doubles reminds me of the TRIPLES my parents and I went to for a few seasons. Rayleigh Speedway in the late morning followed by Rayleigh for PRI Bangers and either Anglia Rods or Mini Rods in the afternoon followed by the dash to Wimbledon for the evening Speedway. All done on public transport from Southfields with my mother having prepared a good lot of food that we had to carry around but at least the bags got lighter as the day went on. 

In later years White City and Walthamstow doubles were also good but did not involve Speedway. 

Triples are for Snowlflakes, I genuinely remember the one day in my speedway supporting careeer when I fitted in - just - a Quadruple. Oxford in the morning and a double header at Rye House in the afternoon and Coventry in the evening! Back home to Northampton, Happy but cream crackered. It was over an Easter Weekend ( trying to find the diary that I recorded the matches in ).

Easter Triangle memories of Peterborough on Friday then Mildenhall on the Sunday finishing at Rye House on the Monday, watching the Fen Tigers in there tiger print tassled leathers and Rye in there Infladex coloured leathers and then the Panthers in there any coloured leathers ,always thought the tigers and rockets looked so smart wonder if thats where the idea for team colours really took off !!!