British Speedway Forum

Belle Vue 1972 or Cradley 1983.???

Sidney the robin

29 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

Don't recall that one? Was he part of the Jiri Stancl  conspiracy which 'allegedly' enabled Bruce Penhall to win an important race untroubled? :)

Apparently Martin Rogers may well touch upon the Sunday People article after I put a question to him in an edition of "Backtrack" a couple of years ago.

I don't remember the exact story, but it was one of the follow ups. Chris Pusey in an exclusive interview, telling of how speedway was fixed.

If, as you say, he had an alcohol problem, then maybe there's a connection with that and him doing the story.

The Jiri Stancl one is actually quite an interesting one if you watch that final race and listen to Dave Lanning's commentary on how Penhall and Stancl seem to be "playing to the gallery".

Edited by Grachan
  • Like 1

After the way he beat Olsen and Knudsen that night, does anyone really think Penhall would have needed help to beat Stancl? I was more concerned that Carter would try to knock Bruce off his bike, and judging by the way he let Kenny go away from him for the win, Bruce was too.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Bryce said:

After the way he beat Olsen and Knudsen that night, does anyone really think Penhall would have needed help to beat Stancl? I was more concerned that Carter would try to knock Bruce off his bike, and judging by the way he let Kenny go away from him for the win, Bruce was too.

My views on the Sunday People's allegations are well documented but I would seriously recommend reading Martin Rogers' answer to my question in "Backtrack". It proved to be very enlightening.

Going to be a bit controversial here but strangely I preferred the mid to late 70s at Dudley Wood, not knowing if we would win and the racing was arguably better. I got bored with thrashing everybody and actually lost a bit of interest in speedway for a quite a while before starting up again in the late 90s at Monmore

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bruno said:

Going to be a bit controversial here but strangely I preferred the mid to late 70s at Dudley Wood, not knowing if we would win and the racing was arguably better. I got bored with thrashing everybody and actually lost a bit of interest in speedway for a quite a while before starting up again in the late 90s at Monmore

Personally I thought that the Cradley team of 1979 was a bit special?

2 hours ago, bruno said:

Would have to agree, I loved my Speedway in the 70's. Particularly enjoyed the Johnny Boulger years at Dudley Wood watching Stevie B develop. The all conquering team from 1983 meant that a lot of home matches were less than entertaining.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, salty said:

Would have to agree, I loved my Speedway in the 70's. Particularly enjoyed the Johnny Boulger years at Dudley Wood watching Stevie B develop. The all conquering team from 1983 meant that a lot of home matches were less than entertaining.

I would have to agree. The 70's were a bit special...speedway's last "Golden Era". I enjoyed watching my teams the "Rebels" at Oxford and White City and the incoming talent from our sister clubs at Eastbourne and Peterborough. Plus the "Cheetahs" in the National League. I had the best of both worlds watching both British League and National League encounters...great days!

17 hours ago, steve roberts said:

Don't recall that one? Was he part of the Jiri Stancl  conspiracy which 'allegedly' enabled Bruce Penhall to win an important race untroubled? :)

Apparently Martin Rogers may well touch upon the Sunday People article after I put a question to him in an edition of "Backtrack" a couple of years ago.

Still got that race on video stancl hardly moves when the tapes go up and was one of the first to get to penhall after the race

Just now, geoff100 said:

Still got that race on video stancl hardly moves when the tapes go up and was one of the first to get to penhall after the race

Long time since I've seen the video but surely no one would believe that Stancl was a serious threat to Penhall..just keeping out of his way perhaps which was common practice in important meetings. Recall Michanek not wishing to 'mess up' Malcolm Simmons during the 1976 Final.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, steve roberts said:

On one memorable night he scored paid 14 points at Cowley with Weymouth but generally he wasn't a success on the south coast. A great thrill merchant in his day and I know that it irked his brother Geoff that Chris' name wasn't mention during a Belle Vue reunion some years ago.

Watched chris in his final year at workington, overweight he was knackered after 4 laps with a red face and sweat pouring off him ron bagley thought if fit he could still have been a number 1 for the comets just lasted a few weeks!

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Sidney the robin said:

Pusey underachieved really  some of the reasons why have been well documented in recent years.Bob for me was a terrific rider think he could of been world class he was only just below that his figures at Exeter show that he was capable of beating anybody.Yes that Cradley side was something else Ravn was the joker in the pack really stepped up.

Pusey at his peak, was a very exciting rider Sid. I saw him a couple of times in full flight at Custom House when i was a kid. His polka dot leathers really made him stand out!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sidney the robin said:

That side cannot be that far behind the 83 side Steve ? what a squad of riders they had. Penhall, Erik, Phil, Alan, Kristian, Steve,Boogaloo, Dave Perks, John Hack, Les Rumsey..

They certainly were a strong side as evidenced by their winning of 2 Cups. I think by the end of the season they were the best team in the league, but injuries to Erik, Kristian and Stevie B earlier in the season cost them. Imo a stronger septet than the one that finally delivered the league title 2 years later.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, salty said:

They certainly were a strong side as evidenced by their winning of 2 Cups. I think by the end of the season they were the best team in the league, but injuries to Erik, Kristian and Stevie B earlier in the season cost them. Imo a stronger septet than the one that finally delivered the league title 2 years later.

Erik broke a leg early at Wolves and as you said Kristian/ Steve picked up nasty injuries amazing they won anything with that handicap.For me it was the Squad that was decent Perks averaged over 6 Les Rumsey was very useful and the young promising John Hack got his chance it really shows you how strong our league was then.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, cityrebel said:

Pusey at his peak, was a very exciting rider Sid. I saw him a couple of times in full flight at Custom House when i was a kid. His polka dot leathers really made him stand out!

I was a fan of Chris city really enjoyed watching him ride and in those days riders had there own identity Chris, Ivan, Broady, Boy Blue , John Davis come to mind.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Sidney the robin said:

I was a fan of Chris city really enjoyed watching him ride and in those days riders had there own identity Chris, Ivan, Broady, Boy Blue , John Davis come to mind.

Yes the days of individual identifiable leathers!

5 hours ago, salty said:

If I recall their collective team average was too high and they off loaded Bobby Schwartz to Reading prior to the 1980 season and complicated things when they signed Ila Teromaa and had to declare two juniors at reserve?