2m rule scrapped from july 4th to 1m

33 minutes ago, ruckerroo said:

restaurants and pubs to reopen

Hairdressers to reopen

Hotels and campsites to reopen

OUTDOOR LEISURE ACTIVITIES CAN RESUME

Places of worship to reopen

SD 2M REDUCED TO 1M

Surely that's very good news for speedway getting up and running .

Carnt see speedway being allowed to be exception to rule regarding crowds at psporting events.Especially as cricket being played behind closed doors with the size of their stadia.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Richard Weston said:

Nothing in today's announcement to suggest sports stadia can re-open.

For speedway, there was no news.

Speedway still hopes for mid-August start (as above) but the big question is: Will fans feel safe and be willing to go out and support their club. 

I watched local BBC TV news tonight and it was 50/50 of the people interviewed who were willing to go to pub/restaurants.

50 per cent of a club's fanbase attending would be a disaster for most clubs.

At least they've lifted the lockdown of those 'shielding', which by their general age range would likely mean well in excess of 50% of a speedway club's regular attendees

2 hours ago, Skidder1 said:

At least they've lifted the lockdown of those 'shielding', which by their general age range would likely mean well in excess of 50% of a speedway club's regular attendees

Most of the shielded I've spoken too say they wouldn't go anywhere where there are lots of people, I certainly wouldn't. 

• Like 4

Lets be honest, using the term 'sports stadia' is a very loose term for most of the UK's speedway venues. I can't see there being any problems with crowds being able to attend speedway in this country in August.

The biggest problems to face is actually getting enough people to attend to make it anywhere near viable. People who have been shielding and classed as vulnerable won't be returning in their masses I wouldn't of thought. The second problem is having enough riders to make it possible, not without a complete restructering of teams in the top two divisions.

In conclusion, I think speedway will be able to restart this year - I just think it'll be financial suicide to do so in this country.

29 minutes ago, Buttons said:

That's if they will risk it, many won't

A perfectly valid guess ... but no more than that. Probably wouldn't have thought people would be queuing off the charts for Primark or Macc-Ds either but it happened. 

On 6/23/2020 at 2:59 PM, ruckerroo said:

restaurants and pubs to reopen

Hairdressers to reopen

Hotels and campsites to reopen

OUTDOOR LEISURE ACTIVITIES CAN RESUME

Places of worship to reopen

SD 2M REDUCED TO 1M

Surely that's very good news for speedway getting up and running .

Not so easy. Friend of mine who runs a pub showed me the list (46 pages) issued after the announcement of the reduction as to things he will have to do in order to open. Mind boggling.  Cant see any promoter or stadium owner having the cash to make tracks Covid safe for spectators.

2 hours ago, Najjer said:

Lets be honest, using the term 'sports stadia' is a very loose term for most of the UK's speedway venues. I can't see there being any problems with crowds being able to attend speedway in this country in August.

The biggest problems to face is actually getting enough people to attend to make it anywhere near viable. People who have been shielding and classed as vulnerable won't be returning in their masses I wouldn't of thought. The second problem is having enough riders to make it possible, not without a complete restructering of teams in the top two divisions.

In conclusion, I think speedway will be able to restart this year - I just think it'll be financial suicide to do so in this country.

Have to Agree.

54 minutes ago, HertsRacer said:

Not so easy. Friend of mine who runs a pub showed me the list (46 pages) issued after the announcement of the reduction as to things he will have to do in order to open. Mind boggling.  Cant see any promoter or stadium owner having the cash to make tracks Covid safe for spectators.

Again it has some relevance but a pub is an indoor facility with a single point of reference (the bar) and limited circulation space. Speedway stadia are outdoor spaces - potentially the bars and any behind glass hospitality could be a problem area.

Berwick's Shielfield Park could be limited to 25 per cent of its capacity but that would still allow 1,200 or so into the stadium with 400 plus seats. Problem areas are likely to be the entrances, loos and food outlets. Potential solutions are one-way systems and effective stewarding. It would be nice to see people's commonsense come into the equation but better to plan for a lack of it.

It would not be what people were used to pre-covid but - and supermarkets are an example - hundreds of people can gather in safety within an current environment that can be adapted with relative ease, albeit at some expense and requiring hard work and a will to make it happen. 

• Like 3

On 6/23/2020 at 6:34 PM, Skidder1 said:

Wait for the next announcement. Speedway is aiming for mid-August. See the Stewart Dickson interview on Speedwaygb.co.uk

Not sure how ‘in the know’ or knowledgable Dickson is but I think this is just misleading blustering and wishful thinking. He’s in a dream or should I say a nightmare and talking nonsense.

Live sport, including speedway, with spectators attending is way way off and certainly will not be in the next month or so.

Even when it is allowed, which will not be until a vaccine treating the virus is found or the spread of the pandemic has drastically improved, and considering the age demographic of supporters, many will not attend as they will not feel comfortable in crowds and many will have got out of the habit of going to speedway. 

The economic situation is a complete disaster, the UK is now plunging into a deep recession, just look at the news every day, with lots of businesses collapsing or on the brink of going bust, millions being made redundant and joining the massive list of unemployed, I fear many speedway clubs will go to the wall.

This is not doom and gloom but sadly reality!  

• Like 2

4 hours ago, George Dodds said:

Again it has some relevance but a pub is an indoor facility with a single point of reference (the bar) and limited circulation space. Speedway stadia are outdoor spaces - potentially the bars and any behind glass hospitality could be a problem area.

Berwick's Shielfield Park could be limited to 25 per cent of its capacity but that would still allow 1,200 or so into the stadium with 400 plus seats. Problem areas are likely to be the entrances, loos and food outlets. Potential solutions are one-way systems and effective stewarding. It would be nice to see people's commonsense come into the equation but better to plan for a lack of it.

It would not be what people were used to pre-covid but - and supermarkets are an example - hundreds of people can gather in safety within an current environment that can be adapted with relative ease, albeit at some expense and requiring hard work and a will to make it happen. 

It seems in all your articles your are the only one with common sense:rolleyes:

Feel for small businesses with little or no income the last 3 months, know a few owners who are seriously worried about becoming bankrupt.  Just hope when people are able to move around a bit more freely they don't decide the play the 'how many peeps can be crammed into a Mini or Smart Car for charidy' type of game like they did the other week when more shops re-opened....

Edited by martinmauger
added cinicism or sarcasm