British Speedway Forum

Cardiff 2020

1 hour ago, Mark said:

Name it the Welsh GP and they might double the money.

Ha! :-) 

Nice try, but I think we all know that to be untrue. The kudos of being the British GP and the exclusivity of having the only GP in Britain to draw fans UK wide are what secures that investment. Without it, there wouldn't be any government support. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, falcace said:

Correct. Should Cardiff lose its "British GP" tag and be threatened by another UK-hosted GP then it would be hugely less appealing to the Welsh Government.

Keep it as the British GP. One at Belle Vue could be the English GP or Commonwealth GP? 

23 minutes ago, stevehone said:

or the European GP slot

Correct. I think everyone is aligned that you shouldn't devalue the Cardiff GP. I honestly dont think one held at the NSS at the opposite end of the season would adversely impact it. A few would not go to Cardiff as a result. But conversely, maybe you gain some lapsed fans for whom domestic speedway is not appealing, and Cardiff too far to travel. Maybe NSS is only every second year, under the moniker European GP as suggested by stevehone. 

6 minutes ago, waiheke1 said:

Correct. I think everyone is aligned that you shouldn't devalue the Cardiff GP. I honestly dont think one held at the NSS at the opposite end of the season would adversely impact it. A few would not go to Cardiff as a result. But conversely, maybe you gain some lapsed fans for whom domestic speedway is not appealing, and Cardiff too far to travel. Maybe NSS is only every second year, under the moniker European GP as suggested by stevehone. 

I can't argue with the logic. But as I understand it, it goes much deeper than just a desire to have Cardiff GP as the sole British GP, it's part of the contract with the Welsh authorities. I stand to be be corrected by someone more in the know than I (Phil Rising?), but that's what I understand. And, from a business perspective, I get it. 

19 minutes ago, falcace said:

I can't argue with the logic. But as I understand it, it goes much deeper than just a desire to have Cardiff GP as the sole British GP, it's part of the contract with the Welsh authorities. I stand to be be corrected by someone more in the know than I (Phil Rising?), but that's what I understand. And, from a business perspective, I get it. 

If that's the case, then NSS can't/won't happen. And maybe that's the reason it hasn't already, given it appears to check all the boxes to warrant inclusion in the GP series. 

You'd hope some arrangement could be reached (one year trial, if Cardiff GP crowd drops more than x % yoy then NSS is dropped?)

2 minutes ago, waiheke1 said:

If that's the case, then NSS can't/won't happen. And maybe that's the reason it hasn't already, given it appears to check all the boxes to warrant inclusion in the GP series. 

You'd hope some arrangement could be reached (one year trial, if Cardiff GP crowd drops more than x % yoy then NSS is dropped?)

if there was a GP at the NSS (i doubt it'll happen while Cardiff want it), they need to have a lot more going on around the stadium than that one food truck, but there needs to be entertainment and good food, and i think that's the only place NSS fails to tick a box

11 hours ago, falcace said:

SORRY, but I cannot answer that question. Have no idea.

• Thanks 1

On 6/6/2020 at 11:31 PM, Terry said:

I went to the last four world finals at Wembley and the first six Cardiff gp's (sickened I missed Bomber winning) and Cardiff doesn't compare, although I appreciate how good it is. I just wish we had Cardiff and Manchester. I don't see why not, Poland has three.

Poland has three because it can fill out the stadiums. GB has one Grand Prix, which has yet to be a sell out. If Cardiff was full then I would say it would be great to have another in the UK, but it isn't.

The World Finals at Wembley used to sell out. These days a one-off World final would probably not be a sell out, but if it was it would be mainly because of people coming from Poland.

Whether we like it or not, Poland is the centre of the World as far as speedway is concerned.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Grachan said:

Poland has three because it can fill out the stadiums. GB has one Grand Prix, which has yet to be a sell out. If Cardiff was full then I would say it would be great to have another in the UK, but it isn't.

The World Finals at Wembley used to sell out. These days a one-off World final would probably not be a sell out, but if it was it would be mainly because of people coming from Poland.

Whether we like it or not, Poland is the centre of the World as far as speedway is concerned.

Warsaw is 50,000, has that solkd out every year, I don't think so.   Cardiff sells about 40,000.   The other two Polish stadiums are not very big in comparision.    Reading comments on here it seems Gorzow and Torun sell thousands of tickets to UK supporters.     Its not Polish fans filling stadiums.

1 hour ago, Mark said:

Warsaw is 50,000, has that solkd out every year, I don't think so.   Cardiff sells about 40,000.   The other two Polish stadiums are not very big in comparision.    Reading comments on here it seems Gorzow and Torun sell thousands of tickets to UK supporters.     Its not Polish fans filling stadiums.

THOUSANDS of British fans? Think that is an over-estimate. If you have been to SGPs in Torun, Warsaw, Gorzow you would know that the vast majority in attendance are Polish. Warsaw has sold out on at least one occasion. 

With regards to Grachan's comment about Wembley, speedway attendances there were often exaggerated, including 1981 which certainly wasn't 100,000 but had a nice 'ring' to it at the time and since.

25 minutes ago, PHILIPRISING said:

THOUSANDS of British fans? Think that is an over-estimate. If you have been to SGPs in Torun, Warsaw, Gorzow you would know that the vast majority in attendance are Polish. Warsaw has sold out on at least one occasion. 

With regards to Grachan's comment about Wembley, speedway attendances there were often exaggerated, including 1981 which certainly wasn't 100,000 but had a nice 'ring' to it at the time and since.

Yes more like 70/80 thousand .

every speedway fan should sample a Polish GP, i've been to Warsaw 3 times and absolutely love it, atmosphere i haven't felt in speedway since Wembley '81.

if Cardiff could be filled think how amazing that would be

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, stevehone said:

every speedway fan should sample a Polish GP, i've been to Warsaw 3 times and absolutely love it, atmosphere i haven't felt in speedway since Wembley '81.

Totally agree,  went to Warsaw last year and the atmosphere was fantastic,  much better than Cardiff.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, stevehone said:

Indeed, been to Torun twice and Warsaw last year. And Wembley  81:)

Edited by topaz325

40 minutes ago, Bendonebunching said:

Totally agree,  went to Warsaw last year and the atmosphere was fantastic,  much better than Cardiff.

Whilst I get your point, a great atmosphere dont make the racing great. Normally is good in poland, but my experience at ullevi was very disappointing. 

2 hours ago, ColinMills said:

Whilst I get your point, a great atmosphere dont make the racing great. Normally is good in poland, but my experience at ullevi was very disappointing. 

true, i've seen some rubbish at Wembley, in fact other than a handful of races in '81 that was nothing special, but people remember the atmosphere and just a few races.

if Cardiff was full this would happen there too