British Speedway Forum

Corona virus

9 hours ago, martinmauger said:

Ok, whatever.  I am able to think for myself I log onto the 'net to share information and for fun, I don't get into spats.  I hope that neither you, or anyone you know or care about, gets infected with Covid-19, speaking from unfortunate experience, no-one, really (really) don't want to catch it.

Hope this statement doesn't include speedway but just read: "Boris says fans can enter stadiums (presumably football) in October"....

May well have had it, as the vast majority of the time you don't even know.

2 hours ago, iris123 said:

But like everything one person has mild symptoms and the next has big problems. Saw a report that many have lung problems months afterwards. Another was a woman in her mid-30s could hardly make it a few hundreds years down the road. But I must admit I didn’t see if she had previous problems and wouldn’t be too surprised if she was putting it on for benefits etc

To an extent.. but more accurately you should say something along the lines of 50 have no symptoms, 45 have mild symptoms.. and the next one has big problems.

17 hours ago, old bob at herne bay said:

I am cheered  by reading hte news in this weeks Speedway Star that sepctators are going to be allowed into speedway stadiums in Sweden.

The enterprising Swedish promoters have declared that their track restaurants will be open for business and will take bookings for meals to allow spectators to watch the racing.

This must be the way forward that the British  PRomoters were waiting for ... open up your trackside restaurants, start taking bookings and start racing.

Ah hang on ....... just thought you cannot see the racing from the "restaurant"  behind the pits at Eastbounre, nor from the "restaurant" under the grandstand at Sittingbourne.

How are other UK tracks fixed for a trackside dining experience?

there isn't a trackside dining experience at leicetsre lions unless you include alis burger bar which taste like worn out tyres

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, davieb1 said:

there isn't a trackside dining experience at leicetsre lions unless you include alis burger bar which taste like worn out tyres

I've never tasted one being a vegetarian, but I've seen quite a few thrown in the bin after a couple of mouth falls during my visits there.  I did try their so called chips once, and they most certainly finished up in the bin.  Dry & tasteless....horrible.   

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Blupanther said:

I had it, and compared to Influenza it was a walk in the park, just mild cold like symptoms. Herd immunity is the only way any virus goes away...

I once had the 'flu jab', it worked spent 5 days in bed with the flu, never again.  You are kinda right in that if a person caught full-on Covid-19 they might well not be aware, but they also could be 'out of it' for weeks.  Without going into details I know of folk aged 9 - 80 whose condition ranged from 100% flu symptoms with trembling hot & cold flushes & extreme dizziness for 3 days, then 2 weeks, same for a few weeks, bed-ridden for 5 weeks, 10 weeks in a coma to passing away; scarily at the time none had any underlying life-affecting health conditions and could be considered fit & healthy.  I suffer from asthma so if I become infected it could well be 'curtains', so I've masked up since since March, we make our own decisions and hopefully live to tell the tale....

Edited by martinmauger
spelling
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, martinmauger said:

I once had the 'flu jab', it worked spent 5 days in bed with the flu, never again.  You are kinda right in that if a person caught full-on Covid-19 they might well not be aware, but they also could be 'out of it' for weeks.  Without going into details I know of folk aged 9 - 80 whose condition ranged from 100% flu symptoms with trembling hot & cold flushes & extreme dizziness for 3 days, then 2 weeks, same for a few weeks, bed-ridden for 5 weeks, 10 weeks in a coma to passing away; scarily at the time none had any underlying life-affecting health conditions and could be considered fit & healthy.  I suffer from asthma so if I become infected it could well be 'curtains', so I've masked up since since March, we make our own decisions and hopefully live to tell the tale....

Incedentally the 80yr old isn't / wasn't the 10-week coma victim nor the poor soul who passed away, kinda explains my keeness for self-protection.

So speedway then; following on from the lobbed tea-pot incident, I recall reading of a disputed Golden Helmet match race when said helmet finished up being dropped-kicked across the centre green....

Edited by martinmauger
correction
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, martinmauger said:

And the odds of that must been in their thousands. You surely must know a group of the unluckiest people in the world as to fall into the categories you describe the chances are so infinitely small.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, BWitcher said:

And the odds of that must been in their thousands. You surely must know a group of the unluckiest people in the world as to fall into the categories you describe the chances are so infinitely small.

You'd think but scarily no, I've heard a few similar tales so maybe Hull / East Yorkshire is a higher risk area than thought, hence me & family always masked up in public....

Edited by martinmauger
added info
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, martinmauger said:

Incedentally the 80yr old isn't / wasn't the 10-week coma victim nor the poor soul who passed away, kinda explains my keeness for self-protection.

So speedway then; following on from the lobbed tea-pot incident, I recall reading of a disputed Golden Helmet match race when said helmet finished up being dropped-kicked across the centre green....

I re-collect the story when John Berry and Ron Bagley produced a tape measure and proceeded to measure the width of the Hull track in front of baying "Vikings" fans. The track was apparently a bit skinny and Ian Thomas used a shortened tape measure to get it passed by the Control Board?

58 minutes ago, BWitcher said:

Tales being the operative word there.

I'm no fan of Covid-19 at all and talk from first hand experience and that of others I know.  You don't appear to consider the pandemic as being much of a threat and / or is being exaggrerated and you obviously don't believe me but you know what, I just don't care....

Edited by martinmauger
grammar
  • Like 4

11 minutes ago, martinmauger said:

I'm no fan of Covid-19 at all and talk from first hand experience and that of others I know.  You don't appear to consider the pandemic as being much of a threat and / or is being exaggrerated and you obviously don't believe me but you know what, I just don't care....

Of course it's a threat, it's a threat to the businesses/jobs/livelihoods of millions of people, not to mention their lives, partially from the virus, although that is receding rapidly, but also the knock on effects.

Much of that caused by people perpetuating myths, scaremongering and running around like lapdogs, begging to have more and more restrictions imposed upon them.

As for all these people you claim to know and others you have been told about, I've simply stated you must have the unluckiest group of friends in the world.. the chances of that happening are akin to getting six numbers on the lottery.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, BWitcher said:

As for all these people you claim to know and others you have been told about, I've simply stated you must have the unluckiest group of friends in the world.. the chances of that happening are akin to getting six numbers on the lottery.

Try telling that to the families or friends of the dead, or seriously affected across the UK and the world. I'm sure they'll sympathise fully with your dismissals.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, stewmac said:

Try telling that to the families or friends of the dead, or seriously affected across the UK and the world. I'm sure they'll sympathise fully with your dismissals.

Not a dismissal.

It's a fact. He must have some of the unluckiest friends possible.

Edited by BWitcher

22 hours ago, martinmauger said:

Despite what others have said I know of quite a few in this area who will never have another flu jab, as they suffered a "reaction" to the one they had had. In this  area also doctors were quite

open in admitting that several of their patients suffered  skin problems following a flu jab

1 hour ago, wealdstone said:

Despite what others have said I know of quite a few in this area who will never have another flu jab, as they suffered a "reaction" to the one they had had. In this  area also doctors were quite

open in admitting that several of their patients suffered  skin problems following a flu jab

Funny but I had my first ever flu jab during this last winter...never felt the needle go in and was told that my arm would probably ache for a couple of days. No reaction at all...when I next saw the pharmacist she asked if I had had a reaction and I retorted whether she had infact injected me!