British Speedway Forum

Corona virus

28 minutes ago, Byker Biker said:

I have to be honest, I'm a mere layman when it comes to everyone else's expertise and knowledge with Covid 19 on here, oh how I wish I had the analytical nowse and scientific qualifications to keep up with the rest of you wonkers.

If you’re furloughed you could try the Open University?

Having said that, GCSE Maths is probably enough to analyse the stats better than the media.

Go for it!

13 minutes ago, DC2 said:

If you’re furloughed you could try the Open University?

Having said that, GCSE Maths is probably enough to analyse the stats better than the media.

Go for it!

...which I failed three times!

1 hour ago, Jonny the spud said:
4 hours ago, BWitcher said:

120,000 a year die from flu/pneumonia in UK on average..

Let's see what Covid-19 reaches.. and if it comes back every single year...

What's staggering is how such large scale deaths are dismissed as meaningless by folks such as you. Young children and babies in that figure.. all dismissed.

Of course Covid-19 is serious, for the elderly and seriously ill. For the rest it quite simply is not.

It is the elderly and seriously ill that need protecting.

The deaths recorded are those who have tested posit for covid 19. This isn’t “instead” of the flu, it’s on top of the flu deaths. 

No the deaths aren't all who have tested positive for Covid-19, not in the UK, or the USA, or Italy.

It is believed it is the case in Germany however.. 

Nobody has ever said it was 'instead' of flu, although that being said there are scientists now beginning to suggest that the deaths may well end up being just that.. 'instead of'.

Edited by BWitcher

8 hours ago, DC2 said:

Don’t worry, Steve, you know where to see the statistics if you want to! :)

I put my trust in you and that "other geezer" getting the maths correct as it's getting beyond me! :)

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Steve Irving said:

Staggering to see some sticking to their guns on this. Some nailed their colours to the mast early doors on this virus with their “glorified flu” nonsense and clearly don’t like to admit they were wrong on the internet. It’s ok to hold your hands up and say you misjudged just how bad this horrible virus was/is! 

The facts remain however that a lot of the symptoms are ‘flu like’. In fact I’ve read comments from those who have had it and recovered (non hospital admission) as being like a really bad flu.

What we are yet to see is how the virus responds once dormant and people start to return to some sort of normality. 

I know only too well from my experience as a nurse when a serious flu bug goes around that I’ve been exposed to it several times and sufferered accordingly. When I say flu bug I of course mean virus.

I don’t think even from the off that anyone underestimated how bad this virus was given what we knew of it already. 

• Like 1

On 4/27/2020 at 6:54 PM, DC2 said:

Imperial College London says Coronavirus kills 0.6% to 0.9% of those infected while flu kills 0.2%.

Sounds like glorified flu to me apart from the fact that it doesn’t kill children in any numbers.

One of the most pathetically stupid, ill informed comments I have ever seen. I truly hope you will get it so can correct your idiotic comment when you are fit enough.

29 minutes ago, westhamboy66 said:

One of the most pathetically stupid, ill informed comments I have ever seen. I truly hope you will get it so can correct your idiotic comment when you are fit enough.

So you thought you'd top it eh? You succeeded.

If you're under 50 you'd far rather have Covid-19 than the flu.

Edited by BWitcher

1 hour ago, westhamboy66 said:

You hope I get Covid?  That says enough, doesn’t it.

And it’s not my idiotic comment, I’m quoting government statistics.

44 minutes ago, BWitcher said:

So you thought you'd top it eh? You succeeded.

If you're under 50 you'd far rather have Covid-19 than the flu.

I'm over 50, i had it, and it was a walk in the park compared to the flu ...

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Blupanther said:

Exactly.

Unfortunately this is the hole the government (and the media even more so) have now dug. Such ill educated people out there that will cause immense problems with any proposed relaxing of the lockdown.

Edited by BWitcher
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, Blupanther said:

Im 60,I had it, was no walk in the park for me in fact I couldn’t walk, 10 days in hospital on oxygen, been out 10 days now and can just about manage a shower before having to rest again, no underlying health problems either.

Give me flu any day 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Red Flag said:

Im 60,I had it, was no walk in the park for me in fact I couldn’t walk, 10 days in hospital on oxygen, been out 10 days now and can just about manage a shower before having to rest again, no underlying health problems either.

Give me flu any day 

Glad you recovered. However reality is, and its absolute fact, flu is more dangerous AND causes greater illness than covid-19 for the vast majority of the population.

For some Covid-19 is very dangerous of course.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Blupanther said:

Good for you. Pleased it didn't hit you too hard.

Im also over 50, I'm not obese and no underlying health problems. But I was in hospital 5 nights. It's now 5 weeks since I was discharged and still having side effect health problems. For example I still can't walk properly.

Very little is yet known about this virus in terms of individual biomedical factors causing it to effect some more badly than others. Broad patterns have emerged, for sure, but at a far more nauanced, micro level there's a long way to go. There's also the possibility that some people are just unfortunate enough to cop a big dose of virus, and that this has an impact on severity. So count your lucky stars!

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Big Al said:

Im also over 50, I'm not obese and no underlying health problems. But I was in hospital 5 nights. It's now 5 weeks since I was discharged and still having side effect health problems. For example I still can't walk properly.

Very little is yet known about this virus in terms of individual biomedical factors causing it to effect some more badly than others. Broad patterns have emerged, for sure, but at a far more nauanced, micro level there's a long way to go. There's also the possibility that some people are just unfortunate enough to cop a big dose of virus, and that this has an impact on severity. So count your lucky stars!

Hope you recover fully soon.

It is this sort of real life experience that is not reflected in any stats at all.

Whilst all the talk is of death rates; there is a 'success' being ascribed to every 'non-death' that does not seem to reflect just what level of suffering has been experienced by some/many of those who have been through it and survived.

My anecdotal experience locally is that for quite a few this ranks as the worst experience of their life and nothing like a dose of flu. They are not getting back to normality quickly at all.

As one of the high risk people who are under 60 but will HAVE to return to work at some point. I will not be in a position to totally destroy my business by being shielded for longer than the 12 weeks and once the business grant is spent. And that will be scary.

Edited by Grand Central
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Big Al said:

Glad you got over it. My ND advised me to increase my intake of Vitamins A, C, and D, along with Zinc and Selenium back in February to boost the immune system. Caught it in March, felt a bit rough for a day but was fine after that, but the other two in the house were ill for a fortnight. I lost my sense of smell and taste for a month, but that was a blessing in disguise with the wife's cooking :)

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Blupanther said:

Glad you got over it. My ND advised me to increase my intake of Vitamins A, C, and D, along with Zinc and Selenium back in February to boost the immune system. Caught it in March, felt a bit rough for a day but was fine after that, but the other two in the house were ill for a fortnight. I lost my sense of smell and taste for a month, but that was a blessing in disguise with the wife's cooking :)

Can’t believe your wife bothers cooking, she might just as well hand you your “vitamins” bottle!

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Grand Central said:

Hope you recover fully soon.

It is this sort of real life experience that is not reflected in any stats at all.

Whilst all the talk is of death rates; there is a 'success' being ascribed to every 'non-death' that does not seem to reflect just what level of suffering has been experienced by some/many of those who have been through it and survived.

My anecdotal experience locally is that for quite a few this ranks as the worst experience of their life and nothing like a dose of flu. They are not getting back to normality quickly at all.

As one of the high risk people who are under 60 but will HAVE to return to work at some point. I will not be in a position to totally destroy my business by being shielded for longer than the 12 weeks and once the business grant is spent. And that will be scary.

Sounds terrible.

But, out of interest, have you ever been bed-ridden with flu for three weeks?  It’s not the “cold” that people make out!

• Like 1