British Speedway Forum

Corona virus

14 minutes ago, Audiscore said:

Most cover is provided by private staff and ambulances paid for by the promotion. Not normally NHS staff,  I take the point on board they will be stressed by speedway accidents at NHS hospitals.

And I take your point on board about speedway's use of private ambulances.

However, when the government is really scrambling around soon for any medical resources, do you really think any private ambulance company wants the PR-disaster of insisting it still needs to honour its contract with a speedway club rather than adding that ambulance to the general cause (especially when the government probably offers a good bit more money for such a cross-over compared to whatever the speedway club was due to pay in the first place) ? !! 

Today's steering of emergency services away from mass gatherings is one step for now.

In due course, it will almost certainly be at least a short-term government enforcement that merges NHS and private medical resources into one overall medical resource for the national good - remember, any private ambulance still needs to operate under government standards while not being under the NHS banner so bringing it into one overall stock won't be difficult if the government insists upon it.

Edited by arthur cross
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Audiscore said:

Why they need to call a meeting about this dint know. Common sense should prevail, the season should be postponed  until the pandemic is contol led.  Riders can't get here, others can't fly out causing real problems It's  a shame the controlling body can't make a desicion.

We are already seeing P&P days cancelled, that must lead to the postponement of meetings, its inevitable IMO.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Audiscore said:

Most cover is provided by private staff and ambulances paid for by the promotion. Not normally NHS staff,  I take the point on board they will be stressed by speedway accidents at NHS hospitals.

44 minutes ago, Audiscore said:

Many of the private staff are NHS workers, who would be better employed in their normal jobs on overtime than standing in the pits at speedway. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Audiscore said:

true , but i'm sure the paramedic isn't private.

We normally have so many blank weeks and supporters want fixtures every week, teams will just have to ride Monday and Thursday to fit them in, if we get any racing at all. Time for a independent person to do the fixtures to stop self interest.

The way things are going Speedway will be THE only sport running with spectators.

Surely it’ll be delayed until Summer...eventually!

The best the owners can hope for is an outright ban of mass gatherings by Boris, therefore triggering insurance payouts.

10 hours ago, Fortythirtyeight said:

Ridiculous figure, how can you say 499 is fine, 501 is not?

crowds / large gatherings should be banned, full stop.

But given your first sentence, what would be the bottom figure for your sentence.

5 hours ago, Richard Weston said:

No doubt the BSPA will announce tomorrow that speedway is delayed....for how long?

My guess, is that we may be able to race again from mid summer but it will need a major reorganisation to fixtures.

I read somewhere that the Championship is to be reduced to just one meeting for both home and away , and no cup meetings. I suppose the BSPA will have to wait to see how things pan out before they announce resume start date.  No doubt if it goes on longer than current estimates, the BSPA will have to a cutoff date that if there is not enough meeting slots left then the season will not start. 

Not sure about bspa or fim, but surely speedway star, which is already in difficulty must be heading for big problems. It makes most of its money from track sales, and they just ain't going to happen for ages

In this desperate position that we all find ourselves in, i just hope the government will fairly prop up every business in there hour of need.If they just prop up big business only that would be nothing short of a disgrace fair measures have to be put in place.Virgin have just announced that workers have been imformed to take eight weeks unpaid leave so there is a long tough road ahead for alot of the nation.

from what I hear promoters aim to be back up and running end of june,/beginning of july...

no cup competitions, just do 1 home and 1 away, for 1 year only I should think they can extend the league to late November even December if possible

3 hours ago, Sidney the robin said:

In this desperate position that we all find ourselves in, i just hope the government will fairly prop up every business in there hour of need.If they just prop up big business only that would be nothing short of a disgrace fair measures have to be put in place.Virgin have just announced that workers have been imformed to take eight weeks unpaid leave so there is a long tough road ahead for alot of the nation.

You'd hope that Branson would dip into his $4 billion to help folk out wouldn't you?

If he were to divide his fortune amongst his employees each one would receive $466,690... probably enough to see them through

Edited by iainb
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Phil The Ace said:

from what I hear promoters aim to be back up and running end of june,/beginning of july...

no cup competitions, just do 1 home and 1 away, for 1 year only I should think they can extend the league to late November even December if possible

On one hand, relating to date deadlines for things like collective insurance policies, the usual ending on 31st October (a Saturday this year) could be extended at just a few days of administrative notice towards a date in November or December.

But on the other hand, unless we have a very dry autumn, too many tracks will just be permanent sludge by mid-November (if not earlier) as the shorter amount of daylight hours (and less warm sunshine even if it occurs at all) means you're relying only on the wind rather than the sun as well to dry out the most recent rainfall - I've always reckoned (and posted on other threads on this forum several times before) that 12-Celsius appears to be the borderline for the temperature as well as the wind having a proper drying effect - you don't get many 12+ days by November and far more in single figures.

Infamously a few years ago at Workington as they tried to clear a backlog, a late-October meeting was abandoned once it became clear the moisture on the track was actually turning into ice.

Clearly these exceptional coronavirus circumstances could justify an exceptional gamble with hoping the weather behaves itself to allow a little fixture scheduling in November but realistically, the weekend of Sat-7 & Sun-8-Nov will be stretching it to the weather limit for the Anglo-Scottish tracks (Redcar, Newcastle, Berwick, Edinburgh & Glasgow) with only a week or two's more flexibility further south.

At this stage, my target would be to make a revised fixture-list that schedules meetings up to the Halloween weekend but also permits rain-off catch-ups until the weekend of Sat-14 & Sun-15-Nov  

Edited by arthur cross