British Speedway Forum

Greg Hancock - happy retirement

On 2/20/2020 at 10:50 AM, TheReturn said:

It probably wasn't, but it's still bad considering he had an entire year away from the track to make a decision.  I am surprised he didn't claim he was pulling out to give a younger rider a chance!

Firstly, there are reserves in place who are well prepared to come in at any point. And the chosen first reserves especially will know from recent history that there is a good chance they will be called into action. Secondly he desperately wanted to ride and have another shot at being world champion again, unfortunately his wife needs continued treatment for the cancer and he didnt want to be away from her and the family. So its a bit harsh to say he didnt make his mind up soon enough 

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, RPNY said:

Firstly, there are reserves in place who are well prepared to come in at any point. And the chosen first reserves especially will know from recent history that there is a good chance they will be called into action. 

Yes, but you're missing the point.  Last year didn't Lambert say he struggled in some GPs because of his full calendar after originally opting for the SEC not expecting to do the SGP.   I don't know what Smolinski and second reserve had planned for this year, but one would assume they have to change their entire season plans at this late stage.

45 minutes ago, RPNY said:

Secondly he desperately wanted to ride and have another shot at being world champion again, unfortunately his wife needs continued treatment for the cancer and he didnt want to be away from her and the family. So its a bit harsh to say he didnt make his mind up soon enough  

He was never going to be that after being out all of last season, and that's why I felt the decision to give him a wildcard was ridiculous.  I have all sympathy for his wife, I wish her well and I respect Hancock for retiring to be with his family, I respect him for his World titles too. But that doesn't mean I respect some of the things he's done in recent years, the bullying against Nicki (the website post Hancock made), the lame excuse to pull out of riding at Belle Vue to say he wanted to give younger riders a chance (rather than admit he didn't want to ride) and the fact he took a wildcard in October and waited until now to retire all of which were dicking actions.

Edited by TheReturn

MAYBE, he was hoping his wife would recover to such an extent he could confidently ride this year. MAYBE she not responded so well, such he taken the decision to stay home.     
I do hope his wife is doing well, but if not, there is a lot been said on here that should not have been said - like he thinking of himself, he is selfish etc

If you go into an task with a negative attitude, the likely thing is that you will fail. Have a positive attitude, and surround yourself with others who are positive then you have a better chance of succeeding. Smoli is doing it right, investing in new engines and fresh mechanics. Would be nice if he did what he did in the final of the NZ Gp few years ago..... that would lite up the forum.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/15/2020 at 8:55 AM, therefused said:

Most overrated rider ever 

Well, i guess he is probably the worst 4 times world champ of all time....

I think if anything he is under rated, 4 world titles but few would include him when discussing the top 10 riders of all time.

Not my favourite rider, nor impressed with his reactions to a couple of incidents on last few years, but still think he's for the most part a genuinely nice guy, and a true speedway legend. Wishing him a well deserved and happy retirement. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, waiheke1 said:

Well, i guess he is probably the worst 4 times world champ of all time....

I think if anything he is under rated, 4 world titles but few would include him when discussing the top 10 riders of all time.

Not my favourite rider, nor impressed with his reactions to a couple of incidents on last few years, but still think he's for the most part a genuinely nice guy, and a true speedway legend. Wishing him a well deserved and happy retirement. 

I agree with all of that. It is very hard to overrate any rider who won four World titles!
The only caveat I would add to that is that, after winning the title in 1997, he didn't figure greatly again until after the era of Rickardsson, Crump, Pedersen and Gollob was over, which, I guess, must mean something in where we rate him in the "Best Ever" category.

1 hour ago, norbold said:

The only caveat I would add to that is that, after winning the title in 1997, he didn't figure greatly again until after.......

There's always two ways of looking at things eh? After the era you describe, Greg, at he age of 40, completely reinvents himself and goes on to win the WC, three more times. Not a bad comeback from total obscurity, one might say.

28 minutes ago, False dawn said:

There's always two ways of looking at things eh? After the era you describe, Greg, at he age of 40, completely reinvents himself and goes on to win the WC, three more times. Not a bad comeback from total obscurity, one might say.

So, just coincidence then?;)

2 hours ago, norbold said:

I agree with all of that. It is very hard to overrate any rider who won four World titles!
The only caveat I would add to that is that, after winning the title in 1997, he didn't figure greatly again until after the era of Rickardsson, Crump, Pedersen and Gollob was over, which, I guess, must mean something in where we rate him in the "Best Ever" category.

Was never a fan racing wise but he was always great with the fans had time for a chat and his record speaks for itself.Hope he has a great retirement and hopefully stays involved in the sport in one way or another. Ricko, Crump, Gollob, Pedersen, Hancock , it would be interesting to see how fans rated Greg in amongst that great lot.

6 minutes ago, Sidney the robin said:

Was never a fan racing wise but he was always great with the fans had time for a chat and his record speaks for itself.Hope he has a great retirement and hopefully stays involved in the sport in one way or another. Ricko, Crump, Gollob, Pedersen, Hancock , it would be interesting to see how fans rated Greg in amongst that great lot.

Have to say Sid he was a great exponent of the lost art of team riding a colleague home (certainly what I saw of him whilst riding for Oxford) unlike some others that I could mention...Rickardsson in particular!

• Like 1