British Speedway Forum

Greg Hancock - happy retirement

Can only echo everyone else, happy retirement 

He was my least favourite rider of all time tbh but hes a 4x world champ. Cant fault that. 

But could he have not waited one more day to announce it. Yesterday was a day  to celebrate danny ayres life but ended up everyone talking about hancock. Made it all about himself. Pretty selfish 

Edited by Phil The Ace
  • Like 5

7 minutes ago, Phil The Ace said:

He was my least favourite rider of all time tbh burned a 4x world champ. Cant fault that. 

But could he have not waited one more day to announce it. Yesterday was a day  to celebrate danny ayres life but ended up everyone talking about hancock. Made it all about himself. Pretty selfish 

Absolutely, it gave a glimpse of the real person behind the cheesy grin ...

Expect the Hancock fan boys will all be triggered now :)

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Blupanther said:

Absolutely, it gave a glimpse of the real person behind the cheesy grin ...

Expect the Hancock fan boys will all be triggered now :)

Had a few of them on twitter already 

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Phil The Ace said:

He was my least favourite rider of all time tbh but hes a 4x world champ. Cant fault that. 

Did Greg’s retirement really detract from the deserved send off Danny got? I don’t think so, let’s not make this an issue where one is played off against the other. Is it really worth it for a few likes on an Internet forum. 

• Like 5

5 hours ago, Ben91 said:

Did Greg’s retirement really detract from the deserved send off Danny got? I don’t think so, let’s not make this an issue where one is played off against the other. Is it really worth it for a few likes on an Internet forum. 

You absolute ****

If you think I posted it for a few internet likes then please put me on ignore and dont ever reply to my comments. 

Really offended me that. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, Phil The Ace said:

Don't talk such absolute BS.

Are you suggesting people are incapable of doing two things? 

A very sad post from a Hancock hater. His retirement had absolutely zero impact on any celebration of Danny Ayres life or any respects paid to him.

And no, I'm far from a Hancock fan boy given he is, was and always will be a Spoon :)

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, Phil The Ace said:

You absolute ****

If you think I posted it for a few internet likes then please put me on ignore and dont ever reply to my comments. 

Really offended me that. 

Good, glad you are offended.

It's offensive you should use the name of Danny Ayres for such a selfish post. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Phil The Ace said:

You absolute ****

Really offended me that. 

Why did you post it then? What exactly were you trying to achieve? Wasn’t a comment that needed to be made. 

Well done for the name calling too. Takes a big person. 

Edited by Ben91

Phil making an arse of himself again.

Never liked him , heard stories from someone linked to PUK about his time at Oxford with Hancock and they didn’t make good hearing , pretty dull to watch as well but can’t take his four titles away from him. An all time great on track without a doubt. 

why on earth Danny Ayres funeral has been brought into this thread only a buffoon like Phil the Ace would know. 

On 2/15/2020 at 12:07 PM, Phil The Ace said:

The decision when to announce it was the FIM's. 

• Like 2

His longevity was remarkable, and a tribute to his fitness. His winning of four World Titles has to earn respect but he lost a great deal of respect from me when he kept failing to ride in major events in Britain, coming up with the excuse of "Giving kids a chance". I suspect the real reason was a good deal less positive. To me he snubbed his British fans on more than one occasion, but then when did the fans count?

His antics at Melbourne didn't impress either. It rather echoed the appalling mistake made by Bruce Penhall at White City. 

It's sad that there is no American representation in the SGP for the first time. A great flow of talent has come to an end....for now. I do hope that Nicol or Becker can meet the challenge to replace him in due time. Over the years the Americans have given us a lot of fun, even if some of it was rather worrying ;-) Not in Greg's case. I did work with a few and those smiles weren't all that real in several cases in the 80s. I never got to know Greg so can't comment on him. 

The illness to his wife will have changed all priorities. I wish him a good retirement with the woman he loves at his side. Speedway is important but not THAT important.  

Edited by RobMcCaffery
  • Like 2

Was never a Huge Greg fan, Billy was always my favorite rider. However I got to know Greg when he visited NYC a couple of years ago and we have remained friends ever since. What I can say he is as nice in person as you see on the camera. Its not a front or BS. But he was fiercely determined to be successful without over stepping boundaries. Its fascinating talking to him on how he reinvented himself in 2010 to make himself a contender again.
A genuinely nice bloke and whether or not  you enjoyed watching him ride, deserves a massive amount of respect for the career he had.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, TheReturn said:

Typical of Hancock, he could have made it clear in October that he wouldn't ride this year, instead he waits until a couple of months before the season which doesn't give Smolinski long to plan his season and get sponsors to help him with his GP series.

Rather presumptuous - perhaps his decision was not made until recently?

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, TheReturn said:

It probably wasn't, but it's still bad considering he had an entire year away from the track to make a decision.  I am surprised he didn't claim he was pulling out to give a younger rider a chance!

That only applied to Britain, SGP excepted. 

4 hours ago, topaz325 said:

All this crap...halfway through reading the article on Greg Hancock and his family in the Speedway Star, best wishes to Greg’s wife and all the family.

You can feel sympathy to him without treating him as a saint.