British Speedway Forum

Dougie Templeton.

It was a shame that Doug was in his prime, age-wise when Scottish speedway was in the doldrums, late 1950s. If he had been riding regularly he would have reached even greater heights but with the farm he could not reasonably move south of the border. He was I think 30 when the Monarchs reformed in 1960 without a great deal of top-flight experience. Nevertheless a great rider and a true gent. I met him at a VSRA dinner and a thoroughly nice man. My condolences to his family. Is Margaret still with us??

• Like 1

Hard bugger on the track in the 60's when riding for the Monarchs against the Diamonds. Always entertaining, and always talked about after every meeting. B)

RIP Dougie.

NB. Actually he once rode for the Diamonds. Any guesses when ?

Edited by Tsunami
  • Like 3

17 hours ago, Tsunami said:

Hard bugger on the track in the 60's when riding for the Monarchs against the Diamonds. Always entertaining, and always talked about after every meeting. B)

RIP Dougie.

According to this Speedway History site, he doesn't appear to have ridden for Newcastle.

http://wwosbackup.proboards.com/thread/2855/doug-templeton

(disclaimer:- I don't know who runs the site, so I can't verify the accuracy of the information contained with-in the website, but it does seam to be a good reference source.)

1 hour ago, pvm said:

According to this Speedway History site, he doesn't appear to have ridden for Newcastle.

http://wwosbackup.proboards.com/thread/2855/doug-templeton

(disclaimer:- I don't know who runs the site, so I can't verify the accuracy of the information contained with-in the website, but it does seam to be a good reference source.)

That only goes back to /65 he rode in the 50’s and early 60’s.

19 hours ago, Tsunami said:

RIP Dougie.

Don’t think it was Newcastle though!.Unless a guest.

Edited by Fromafar

Great servant to speedway particularly the Northern tracks. Was well into his 40's when he finally packed up in the mid to late 70's I believe?

Like others said if it weren't for the downturn in speedway North of the Border during those fallow years of the late 50's and running the farm he and his brother could of gone further and maybe made a World final or two!

12 minutes ago, Diamondlil said:

22nd May 1961 scored 7pts Willie also rode in the team

Correct. He rode as a guest with Willie against I think Wolverhampton in our first meeting in our opening season in 1961. 40 -38 defeat I think.

I am sorry to learn of the passing of Doug Templeton. He and his brother Willie were fine servant to all of their clubs and to speedway in general. Doug was one of the many riders who was "made" by the launch of the Provincial League in 1960. Prior to that, he was confined mainly to second halves at Glasgow, but with the extra rides he got in the PL he quickly developed into one of the best riders in the league. Doug was always the better rider of the brothers. He was hard and uncompromising on the track, but very affable off it and always connected well with supporters - and even though he was regarded as one of speedways hard men, he could take it as well as dish it out, and this was why he was held in such respect by other riders and the fans.

My condolences to his family and close friends on their loss. May he rest in the peace of the Lord.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Tsunami said:

Correct. He rode as a guest with Willie against I think Wolverhampton in our first meeting in our opening season in 1961. 40 -38 defeat I think.

48-30 win in a challenge match with three Edinburgh riders as guests. As well as Willie Dick Campbell also guested. It then took them ten weeks to win another meeting when they beat Wolverhampton again 53-25.

Edited by JoeW
additional info