British Speedway Forum

Mildenhall 2023

adz_mft

From Mildenhall Speedway -

The Mildenhall Fen Tigers, proudly sponsored by Manchetts Rescue and Recovery, are pleased to announce their seventh and final signing for 2020. The only rider in the side not to have ridden previously for the Fen Tigers, it is a very warm welcome to the highly talented and very promising fifteen year old NATHAN ABLITT.

The Battle based starlet has come through the junior ranks of the sport becoming the British 150cc Champion in 2016, before claiming the 250cc title in 2018. His debut season in the National League saw him win the National Trophy with the Kent Kings before injury bought his season to an early end. Much sought after, Nathan’s signing gives the Fen Tigers the balance from one to seven they were after and it is hoped he will form a formidable partnership at reserve with Elliot Kelly.

Ablitt spoke of his hopes for 2020 with Mildenhall – he said –

“I am very excited to be joining the Fen Tigers and although the new boy I have been friends with Jason Edwards for many years and look forward to riding with him and the rest of the team. I am well prepared and fully fit for the coming season and feel we can have a good year at Mildenhall, the management team seem very supportive and I have only heard good things about the club. Hopefully we can challenge for all the available trophies.

I will be at the practice days looking to get dialled into my new home track so when the season start’s I can hit the ground running. I’m looking forward to meeting everyone in the New Year and wish all the supporters a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year”

11 hours ago, szkocjasid said:

Ablitt could be a fantastic signing for Mildenhall!

Hope he fulfills his promise this year, seen him ride before the match at Eastie since he was hardly big enough to staddle a bike and always looked so neat on a bike like Jason. Look after them both for us, sure at some point he'll be in the Eagles team as well.

4 hours ago, gazzac said:

Hope he fulfills his promise this year, seen him ride before the match at Eastie since he was hardly big enough to staddle a bike and always looked so neat on a bike like Jason. Look after them both for us, sure at some point he'll be in the Eagles team as well.

I was surprised when he quit Kent last year, was scoring very well at the time!

24 minutes ago, szkocjasid said:

I was surprised when he quit Kent last year, was scoring very well at the time!

He was injured which really curtailed his season, and do think the ties he has with Eastbourne and friends with Jason Edwards may have had a bearing on him riding for Mildenhall and not Kent again, especially as Mildenhall is a stand alone team. Think it's a good move anyway. 

Gutted he is not at Kent, but my honest assessment of Nathan is that he is the best natural talent on a bike since Tai Woffinden. So it would  be an utter waste of talent for him to leave the sport, so I am very glad to see him riding. Once his belief matches his talent the sky is the limit imho.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, teaboy279 said:

Gutted he is not at Kent, but my honest assessment of Nathan is that he is the best natural talent on a bike since Tai Woffinden. So it would  be an utter waste of talent for him to leave the sport, so I am very glad to see him riding. Once his belief matches his talent the sky is the limit imho.

I wouldn’t quite compare him to woffy bearing in mind what woffy was doing when he was 15 at scunny...http://speedwayupdates.proboards.com/board/351/scunthorpe-2006

• 1 year later...
2 hours ago, ONTWOMINUTES said:

Any of you fen tiger fans remember a rider called ian peel ? Just wondering what his background is. Thanks.

Don't know if this is the same person, but there was an Ian Peel who was a Kings Lynn junior in the late 1970's. He appeared at Mildenhall in the Suffolk Junior Championship in 1978. He may have appeared in some second halves there as well, I don't know. He did make four appearances for Boston the following season. All  I know of his background is that he was born in 1960 in Spalding.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/11/2021 at 8:06 PM, HertsRacer said:

Don't know if this is the same person, but there was an Ian Peel who was a Kings Lynn junior in the late 1970's. He appeared at Mildenhall in the Suffolk Junior Championship in 1978. He may have appeared in some second halves there as well, I don't know. He did make four appearances for Boston the following season. All  I know of his background is that he was born in 1960 in Spalding.

Ian PEEL

Born: 19 April 1960, Spalding, Lincolnshire, England.

Career record: (1979) Boston.

1. Ryan Kinsley 8.00

2. Connor King 3.67

3. Matt Marson 5.48

4. Sam Bebee 4.62

5. Jordan Jenkins 6.55

6. Elliot Kelly 3.62

7. Macauley Leek 3.00

Total: 34.94

Think Jason and Nathan will be at Eastbourne and Luke at either Berwick or Edinburgh

16 minutes ago, Dandelion said:

1. Ryan Kinsley 8.00

2. Connor King 3.67

3. Matt Marson 5.48

4. Sam Bebee 4.62

5. Jordan Jenkins 6.55

6. Elliot Kelly 3.62

7. Macauley Leek 3.00

Think Jason and Nathan will be at Eastbourne and Luke at either Berwick or Edinburgh

Genuine question is Matt Marson in the UK or AUS at the moment? I think Leek didn't have enough money to go racing but maybe a short season would help?

2 minutes ago, Sings4Speedway said:

Genuine question is Matt Marson in the UK or AUS at the moment? I think Leek didn't have enough money to go racing but maybe a short season would help?

Not sure about Matt tbh, but I know he was due to ride for Mildenhall last year, so I'm guessing if he's available to come over due to the travel restrictions etc, he'll be in the team. Wasn't Leek meant to be riding for IOW last year? Are there any other 3.00ers in and around Mildenhall who may be the number 7 instead? Someone I'm forgetting or don't know about

Would really like to see some young grasstrackers swap the grass for the shale too, always exciting when a new name pops up and tears the NL to shreds at reserve.

7 minutes ago, Dandelion said:

Not sure about Matt tbh, but I know he was due to ride for Mildenhall last year, so I'm guessing if he's available to come over due to the travel restrictions etc, he'll be in the team. Wasn't Leek meant to be riding for IOW last year? Are there any other 3.00ers in and around Mildenhall who may be the number 7 instead? Someone I'm forgetting or don't know about

Would really like to see some young grasstrackers swap the grass for the shale too, always exciting when a new name pops up and tears the NL to shreds at reserve.

Leek was signed, then stated he needed sponsorship to compete so was released. The other reserve was never decided before the pandemic took hold. Don't know if there are any emerging riders from the area but Butcher might earn another go? Grasstrackers might be less keen on a Sunday track and would be crazy to invest in kit the required kit for such a short season.

• Like 1

So confirmed that only 4 Fen Tigers will return!

Maybe not Ablitt or Edwards if they’re off to Eastbourne, Ruddick if he’s going up North, Marson if he’s staying in Australia or Kinsley if he’s prioritising the higher leagues and to get their overall average down. But we can safely say they’re tracking Bebee & Kelly. 

5 hours ago, Dandelion said:

1. Ryan Kinsley 8.00

2. Connor King 3.67

3. Matt Marson 5.48

4. Sam Bebee 4.62

5. Jordan Jenkins 6.55

6. Elliot Kelly 3.62

7. Macauley Leek 3.00

Although he is a Berwick asset, there is no way Luke Ruddick can currently ride for the Bullets alongside Leon Flint and Kyle Bickley - - the averages make it impossible.