British Speedway Forum

Mildenhall 2023

adz_mft

The track was very good,..unfortunately two thirds of the riders were not good enough to be riding in a professional league..the gulf between the top riders and the rest was half a track behind them,,this produces very poor racing,,the fans are paying good money to watch rubbish drawn out meetings.The standard needs to be raised or speedway will continue to die as a professional sport in this country......

• Like 1

2 hours ago, waco said:

The track was very good,..unfortunately two thirds of the riders were not good enough to be riding in a professional league..the gulf between the top riders and the rest was half a track behind them,,this produces very poor racing,,the fans are paying good money to watch rubbish drawn out meetings.The standard needs to be raised or speedway will continue to die as a professional sport in this country......

The questions raised there are is the NDL a professional league? The governing body certainly doesn't think so. The disparity between riders will always be there when teams can be built using riders who double up and are riding 2-3 times a week vs riders who ride twice a month.

The only way the standard will get raised now is for more double downers to drop back in from the CL, the journeymen have been pushed out/drifted away already. The youth setup is producing a few riders each year but not many and certainly not enough to fill the reserve slots each season. Most teams started the season tracking at least one 3.00 rider with full seasons experience under their belts. 

The NDL can survive if its viewed as a long game for developing riders (with the quick rising exceptions shooting through to higher leagues). You can't build teams across any league using 10 pointers and 3 pointers and not expect to see some strung out races. If you want a "closer" product then its cap the averages of the riders allowed in, if you want the NDL to be progression keep allowing the double uppers (but accept the costs). Unfortunately the league as a whole is trying to be too many things and if it carries on is in danger of no longer existing.

A glimpse of the future for the NDL is to look at the CL, littered with fading stars earning pay days for the final few years, when the mass retirements come the league will be in tatters, if the trickle of fading stars keep dropping back down to NDL it will become the same.

Edited by Sings4Speedway
added a bit
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, arnieg said:

Last Oxford Chargers meeting: 1 FX (Foord) and two falls that did not result in races being stopped (Simpson and Spencer)

Yesterday at Mildenhall 5 exclusions due to falls: Halder (twice), Roynon, King, Watts.

Five does not equal one!

I was merely going by what the scorecard said on updates which was 4 falls and i mistook Jenkins ef for a f. My point was more to do with falls rather than exclusions anyway. Perhaps how i worded it was incorrect. 

7 hours ago, Argos said:

I noticed on Sunday that there were Tractors on the Centre it’s the only track I’ve been to this season that that as happened, and I always thought that this is not allowed, Does anyone know if this is correct 

Ipswich also have the tractors on the centre green. 100% allowed 

So they're not allowed to get off their bikes to garden at the start, but they're allowed to keep a 5-10 tonne (clearly not a tractor expert lol) pointy metal object on the centre green... Very backwards indeed...

Although I'm not sure if that gardening rule still exists but you get my point...

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Sings4Speedway said:

Think Muff has been struggling with an injury for a while so maybe having a run out and see how it is rather than take the long trip down to a track  he doesn't ride very well? Sadly his stand in Jacob Fellows suffered a nasty double leg break so the injury crisis at Mildenhall continues.

Strange that as he rides at Redcar most weeks, was booked in to ride at their amateur meeting on Saturday but ‘ slept in ‘ , the report says , and rode two races on the trot last night, so what injury do you think he’s struggling with ?

2 minutes ago, Fortythirtyeight said:

Strange that as he rides at Redcar most weeks, was booked in to ride at their amateur meeting on Saturday but ‘ slept in ‘ , the report says , and rode two races on the trot last night, so what injury do you think he’s struggling with ?

Hurty knee was what i was told.....along with a bruised ego and lazy @rse. Think the novelty of NDL is wearing off for him and whilst managing to up his average in his second year where does he go from there?

45 minutes ago, Sings4Speedway said:

Hurty knee was what i was told.....along with a bruised ego and lazy @rse. Think the novelty of NDL is wearing off for him and whilst managing to up his average in his second year where does he go from there?

So your usual unreliable source.  The lad has improved this year . He got shat on last season when first starting off so I don’t know why you have a downer on him. He won’t struggle for a team place anywhere if can score points and stay out of hospital whilst riding at Mildenhall.

3 hours ago, Fortythirtyeight said:

So your usual unreliable source.  The lad has improved this year . He got shat on last season when first starting off so I don’t know why you have a downer on him. He won’t struggle for a team place anywhere if can score points and stay out of hospital whilst riding at Mildenhall.

I was told that during the match vs Kent he was barely riding round due to his knee and lucky to not be excluded for not attempting to race. Theres no arguing that Luke has upped his average and plenty like him he's just not my cup of tea thats all. To be fair i was shocked he went back to Mildenhall after last season but i guess a ride in the shop window is better than nothing at all.

On 8/22/2022 at 10:53 AM, Fortythirtyeight said:

Declared as injured again for tonight at Oxford.....perhaps Lukes run out of holiday?

On 8/22/2022 at 10:53 AM, Fortythirtyeight said:

A mental one

• Haha 1