British Speedway Forum

AGM

sancho

11 hours ago, RobMcCaffery said:

The new system for the Championship is based on how all American professional team sports work bar MLS. The leagues are split into conferences and a team's results, while including games against teams from other conferences the league is split into several sections and a team only competes with the teams in its own conference for play-off spots.

Yes. The only way such a system makes sense is to run it on a conference basis, in the style of American sports. Anything else would be madness. 

My expectations that speedway has chosen the sane option are fairly low.

• Like 2

Do the promotions  really listen ?

I remember about 7 years ago when Adam started riding in the UK one of these “how do we gauge public opinion” threads came up on here and I suggested a simple questionaire slipped into a program and a suggestion box near the exit. 

Most if not all people who buy a program have a pen (or can borrow one). A few questions filled in with their contact details at the end isn’t the hardest thing in the world. 

1, you know really what the punters think and can maybe act on some of the suggestions 

2, with their contact details you straight away have a database where you can contact people with offers etc. 

its really not that hard eh ? 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, Jonny the spud said:

I remember about 7 years ago when Adam started riding in the UK one of these “how do we gauge public opinion” threads came up on here and I suggested a simple questionaire slipped into a program and a suggestion box near the exit. 

Most if not all people who buy a program have a pen (or can borrow one). A few questions filled in with their contact details at the end isn’t the hardest thing in the world. 

1, you know really what the punters think and can maybe act on some of the suggestions 

2, with their contact details you straight away have a database where you can contact people with offers etc. 

It is frustrating. A sport or anything that loses customers must surely want to know why.

Speedway's decline has been gradual since the mid-80s, and whatever's happened to folk who don't attend anymore. There are weirdos like me who just cling on for old times' sake. And I get called names for saying why I don't attend anymore.

But the thousands of people that are allowed to disappear because of various reasons, and yet promoters just get over it by increasing the admissions for the ever-growing small number to cover. Without finding out those reasons, the promoters have a few days at the AGM to sort out the future (for next season) and believe their ideas will halt the slide which they have no idea why the slide is happening.

You need feedback. Perhaps a site could be in place for feedback, for old fans, new fans and those who may be getting frustrated. Promote the feedback forum at the track, so those who attend can go back and report their findings. But I guess promoters are fans, and merely wash away any voice of criticism. "If you don't like it, don't come again."

There so many reasons why people might stop attending. But no one knows those reasons.

And that is what's frustrating.

Edited by moxey63
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, Jonny the spud said:

100% agree, obvious isnt it?

And in these days of the internet it's even easier..

Email addresses galore from which to target your offers to you customers!!

BV have a scanner which reads your ticket. Therefore why not issue everyone with a card which they use to put their admission on? Could do it via the bank on line so no need to use the ticket office. Scan in and it deducts the money off the card..

And when you miss a few (they will now know as you haven't scanned), then that's the time for the Aces to make contact to find out why, and get you back again..

Attend say five on the run and you get a discount automatically from your next meeting, (or maybe a discount at the shop to encourage you to purchase something)..

The whole sport is marketed on a very low key local level by individual clubs, using well meaning I am sure amateurs..

It needs to be done collectively on a national level, professionally through pooling resources and sharing the information..

It isn't really too difficult to find out what your customer wants (and probably more importantly doesn't want), in this modern 24/7 media world..

You just have to seek out the info..

15 minutes ago, moxey63 said:

IIt is frustrating. A sport or anything that loses customers must surely want to know why.

Speedway's decline has been gradual since the mid-80s, and whatever's happened to folk who don't attend anymore. There are weirdos like me who just cling on for old times' sake. And I get called names for saying why I don't attend anymore.

But the thousands of people that are allowed to disappear because of various reasons, and yet promoters just get over it by increasing the admissions for the ever-growing small number to cover. Without finding out those reasons, the promoters have a few days at the AGM to sort out the future (for next season) and believe their ideas will halt the slide which they have no idea why the slide is happening.

You need feedback. Perhaps a site could be in place for feedback, for old fans, new fans and those who may be getting frustrated. Promote the feedback forum at the track, so those who attend can go back and report their findings. But I guess promoters are fans, and merely wash away any voice of criticism. "If you don't like it, don't come again."

There so many reasons why people might stop attending. But no one knows those reasons.

And that is what's frustrating.

Old, old ground Moxey sadly..

The reasons why the decline has taken place are obvious I am sure to EVERY promoter..

The issue though is they cannot fix most of them because the oil tanker has gone much too far in the wrong direction to even stop it, never mind turn it around..

We have what we have, so let's just make the most of it..

And on the plus side. There's never been more TV coverage than there is now so you can still watch 'proper Speedway' virtually every week of the Season.

And if you don't have a stream for the Polish Leagues then get one!!B)

Edited by mikebv
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Jonny the spud said:

I remember filling in a questionaire once at Cowley however one time Oxford Promoter, Steve Purchase, would often make himself available on the terraces mingling with fans gauging their views.

problem is, the questions need to be asked of the people not there. I've put this forward countless times but if you offered free tickets in return for email addresses or mobile numbers you would be able to contact both your existing customers and anyone with enough interest to take a free ticket. You could then inform them, advertise to them and generally involve them. I. mean this is like marketing 101, the basics.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, ch958 said:

problem is, the questions need to be asked of the people not there. I've put this forward countless times but if you offered free tickets in return for email addresses or mobile numbers you would be able to contact both your existing customers and anyone with enough interest to take a free ticket. You could then inform them, advertise to them and generally involve them. I. mean this is like marketing 101, the basics.

Assuming of course they consent and do not opt out under the GDPR regulations

45 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

I remember filling in a questionaire once at Cowley however one time Oxford Promoter, Steve Purchase, would often make himself available on the terraces mingling with fans gauging their views.

Barry Bishop does that every week and I have seen Adrian Smith do it, too :approve:

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Ghosty said:

Has to be Yellow/ Black quarters easily seen.

Will the AGM give us BREAKING NEWS to fix our beloved sport - or more than likely something nearer to BREAKING WIND!.... same old news..

I hope the AGM have addressed the farcical double-up situation where your very own 1 to 7 are all riding for different U.K. teams the following night! this has gone completely out of control & unless addressed our sport will never have any mainstream credibility.   

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Byker Biker said:

Assuming of course they consent and do not opt out under the GDPR regulations

to be fair they could block messages at any time but most people, even the vaguely interested wouldn't mind getting info and offers from time to time. Lets be honest you have to actually look for information about fixtures, etc - they're not going to preview it on the news and its hardly in the papers whereas an email or text may prompt.

30 minutes ago, Ghosty said:

I hope the AGM have addressed the farcical double-up situation where your very own 1 to 7 are all riding for different U.K. teams the following night! this has gone completely out of control & unless addressed our sport will never have any mainstream credibility.   

Doubling up is not an issue.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Ghosty said:

I wrote down a system earlier in the year & it was based on Grades of A(3) B(2) & C(1). Teams are made up of a 6 man team but a 7 man squad. The team has a maximum limit of 12.

This gives teams 3 x A + 3 x C,      2 x A + 2 x B + 2 x C,    1 x A + 4 x B + 1 x C,     6 x B

The team also has a maximum average of 36 so no team is getting the top average rider in the grades.

With this system, though, riders get 5 rides on average so the riders average would have to be per ride making an average between 0 & 3. The team average for this system would be 10.

The 7th(squad) rider can be any graded rider but is used for injuries & unavailability ( riding in other countries) only. When used the maximum of grade & team average must be applied.

Any riders not picked in the initial declarations go in to a "Guest Pot". These riders, also, have grades & averages. A "guest" cannot turn out for any team, in any competition, more than 4 times.

This gives more teams a rider identity & removes the use of guests from other teams.    

36 minutes ago, DC2 said:

Doubling up is not an issue.

You must be a blinkered promoter or a deluded fan.........However I think Swindon were one of the less affected teams in 2019 with ONLY 4? of your riders also members of other U.K. teams! but you did have Ellis Perks who was somehow allowed to ride for 3 U.K. teams.

3 hours ago, Jonny the spud said:

There are some that do.
Eastbourne have been very proactive in seeking opinions throughout the year and I have always been able to speak to Ian Jordan after a meeting. They have recently concluded a 21 question survey on their website, with over 300 responses.

I guess it can also be argued that the Poole promotion have listened to the majority of their supporters in making the move to the Championship league.

17 minutes ago, Ghosty said:

You must be a blinkered promoter or a deluded fan.........However I think Swindon were one of the less affected teams in 2019 with ONLY 4? of your riders also members of other U.K. teams! but you did have Ellis Perks who was somehow allowed to ride for 3 U.K. teams.

Not bothered at all.

I quite like seeing what Swindon’s riders can do in other leagues.

Can’t see the slightest problem as long as the turn up for Swindon and do their best.

Fixed race nights removed any clashes.

• Like 1