British Speedway Forum

Swindon Robins 2020

6 hours ago, Racin Jason 72 said:

Absolutely no need to look for a new site. There is a track and a landlord who has to build a new stand at the Abbey. 

I was going to suggest...

"What about the Abbey Stadium?"...

Decades of Speedway heritage there, and perfect for a rebuild and track reshape now Greyhounds have gone.. 

A "blank canvas" on which to build too...

Would be perfect I would suggest...

Can't think why it hasnt been chosen... :rolleyes:

• Like 4

8 hours ago, mikebv said:

I was going to suggest...

"What about the Abbey Stadium?"...

Decades of Speedway heritage there, and perfect for a rebuild and track reshape now Greyhounds have gone.. 

A "blank canvas" on which to build too...

Would be perfect I would suggest...

Can't think why it hasnt been chosen... :rolleyes:

The thing is the greyhounds are still operating !

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The new shaped track used in the last few years Swindon speedway ran was a decent shape much better suited to good racing than the old bigger track ever did in my opinion. - I presume the shale track still exists at the Stadium cause if it does then it'd be ideal for a restart at the Abbey?

Without a doubt the Abbey Stadium remains the best option for speedway to return to the Swindon area and if the planning conditions are followed this will be the case. I hope the MP or Councillor who shares these views carries on the fight cause it will be ethical justice. With the seemingly advent of quiet E speedway bikes in the future any concerns of local residents in the new houses around the stadium will be indeed quite literally silenced!

The newly formed Company, partly by members of the last Swindon Robins promotion is I suspect just a lip service campaign that will probably wither away which is what they want.  I don't blame the former promotion for wanting out cause I suspect running Swindon speedway cost them a hefty sum but wouldn't it of been better if they'd just come out and just say they don't want to do it anymore and give other potentially interested parties a chance of reopening Swindon speedway at the Abbey!

Edited by 25yearfan
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, 25yearfan said:

The new shaped track used in the last few years Swindon speedway ran was a decent shape much better suited to good racing than the old bigger track ever did in my opinion. - I presume the shale track still exists at the Stadium cause if it does then it'd be ideal for a restart at the Abbey?

Without a doubt the Abbey Stadium remains the best option for speedway to return to the Swindon area and if the planning conditions are follows this will be the case. I hope the MP or Councillor whose shares these views carries on the fight cause it will be ethical justice. Without the seemingly advent of quiet E speedway bikes in the future any concerns of local residents in the new houses around the stadium will be indeed quite literally silenced!

The newly formed Company partly by members of the last Swindon Robins promotion is I suspect just a lip service campaign that will probably wither away which is what they want.  I don't blame for former promotion for wanting out cause I suspect running Swindon speedway cost them a hefty sum but wouldn't it of been better if they'd just come out and just say they don't want to do it anymore and give others potentially interested parties a chance of reopening Swindon speedway at the Abbey!

All very strange isnt it?

The promoters no doubt wouldnt want to give up their promoting rights, but that is effectively what they have done by not continuing racing at the stadium...

It was said that without the dogs it wasnt viable, yet the dogs are still there. (?)..

Therefore, why not let someone else take the reigns and run on the track that is already in existence and throw up the large meccano set that is also there and build at least one stand...?

• Like 3

5 hours ago, 25yearfan said:

Without a doubt the Abbey Stadium remains the best option for speedway to return to the Swindon area and if the planning conditions are followed this will be the case. I hope the MP or Councillor whose shares these views carries on the fight cause it will be ethical justice. With the seemingly advent of quiet E speedway bikes in the future any concerns of local residents in the new houses around the stadium will be indeed quite literally silenced!

The newly formed Company partly by members of the last Swindon Robins promotion is I suspect just a lip service campaign that will probably wither away which is what they want.  I don't blame for former promotion for wanting out cause I suspect running Swindon speedway cost them a hefty sum but wouldn't it of been better if they'd just come out and just say they don't want to do it anymore and give other potentially interested parties a chance of reopening Swindon speedway at the Abbey!

Well this is the question..Why would Swindon lose more money than other clubs who are tenants to a landlord...They are still are one of the Best supported clubs in the UK.. Now if Russell thinks that he will lose money at the Abbey then give the chance to let someone else who might be able to balance the books..Of course we know the reason why as he has took a bung of Gaming to stopspeedway running  at the Abbey .

• Like 6

1 hour ago, orion said:

Well this is the question..Why would Swindon lose more money than other clubs who are tenants to a landlord...They are still are one of the Best supported clubs in the UK.. Now if Russell thinks that he will lose money at the Abbey then give the chance to let someone else who might be able to balance the books..Of course we know the reason why as he has took a bung of Gaming to stopspeedway running  at the Abbey .

Correct and of course condition of said bung requires him to hang on to the reins for an indefinite time while gi decide on their next move.

If the council insist on planning conditions being met ie acoustic screen and the rest then that will be the only way speedway would ever stand a chance.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Toady said:

Correct and of course condition of said bung requires him to hang on to the reins for an indefinite time while gi decide on their next move.

If the council insist on planning conditions being met ie acoustic screen and the rest then that will be the only way speedway would ever stand a chance.

Acoustic fencing is nearly completed on the corners ...seems odd they've gone ahead with it if no noisy motorcycles are bombing around 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, hagonshocker said:

Acoustic fencing is nearly completed on the corners ...seems odd they've gone ahead with it if no noisy motorcycles are bombing around 

Well of course they have to do it if that housing adjacent is to be built as I have not seen any new planning applications to vary the conditions that were set in 2019 let’s hope they complete all of it and the council stand firm this time as Tomlinson said.

It seems very odd that the building work at the stadium seems to be going ahead at a much quicker rate now that the speedway has officially closed own. If the promotion are supposed to be looking for a new venue, why can't they use the new Abbey as a temporary home while they look? All very odd.

• Like 2

There is a fella who was involved in the greyhounds at Swindon who has tweeted some drone pictures of the progress of the acoustic barrier and stand. He also said in one of the comments that there were rumours of a bookmaker buying the stadium once its complete. I assume this would be good news for us as they would want the rental income that speedway would bring in. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Grachan said:

It seems very odd that the building work at the stadium seems to be going ahead at a much quicker rate now that the speedway has officially closed own. If the promotion are supposed to be looking for a new venue, why can't they use the new Abbey as a temporary home while they look? All very odd.

I doubt Taylor wimpy are such a push over as Sbc and as of now (as far as planning goes) stadium needs to be finished before houses can start to be erected as Tomlinson said we wait with baited breath however 

1 hour ago, thecoombdog said:

There is a fella who was involved in the greyhounds at Swindon who has tweeted some drone pictures of the progress of the acoustic barrier and stand. He also said in one of the comments that there were rumours of a bookmaker buying the stadium once its complete. I assume this would be good news for us as they would want the rental income that speedway would bring in. 

Or maybe the positive PR of getting speedway back but preferably someone other than Terry!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, steve roberts said:

...and so the whole sorry saga continues.

That’s right Steve but as long as it does continue then there is still a chance however slim of a return of the Robins and I guess everyone on the forum would welcome that.

• Like 2

I can't see TR being involved in it now. The stand and the sound barrier will get built and then the houses will be done and everyone will earn a few bob and hopefully disappear into the sunset. If Gaming continue to own the stadium land then I'm sure it will be left to go to ruin before another planning form goes in for it to be torn down for more housing. At least if someone else buys it and keeps it going as a sports stadium then we have some hope.

What a sad state of affairs this whole episode has been, a revamped shape track that was producing great Speedway, a top team who should have been able to defend their titles, now all hoovered up by other clubs, if by some miracle racing was to resume at the abbey (low flying pig alert) they'd have to start from scratch, if greyhounds are running then the owners are missing out on a revenue stream by ending Speedway. Swindon has a lack of leisure facilities as is and those who went to the Speedway are probably lost to the sport, and who is going to travel to this fictional new out of town stadium, the Abbey was easy for eveyone to get to. I have to admit Speedway rarely crosses my mind anymore, how many others are the same.

10 hours ago, noggin said:

What a sad state of affairs this whole episode has been, a revamped shape track that was producing great Speedway, a top team who should have been able to defend their titles, now all hoovered up by other clubs, if by some miracle racing was to resume at the abbey (low flying pig alert) they'd have to start from scratch, if greyhounds are running then the owners are missing out on a revenue stream by ending Speedway. Swindon has a lack of leisure facilities as is and those who went to the Speedway are probably lost to the sport, and who is going to travel to this fictional new out of town stadium, the Abbey was easy for eveyone to get to. I have to admit Speedway rarely crosses my mind anymore, how many others are the same.

Sad thing is Noggin Gaming have done how your feeling to most of us..Yet again part of the master plan