British Speedway Forum

Swindon Robins 2020

Planning permission has been granted for another new housing development right next to the speedway. Bet all 120+ homes will get built before we even get another update!!

It's early so I missed something obvious!!! The chat all along was that only a certain amount of houses could be built up there and then the stadium has to be done. Of course we all knew this was BS but now it's been proved. I'm pretty sure that the new housing development is in the old car park based on the plans in this article.

Taylor Wimpey to begin work on new Swindon housing development (swindonlink.com)

Edited by thecoombdog
  • Like 1

I've not been following this too closely, but correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the landlords build a new track which was used for a while before Covid hit, then it was the promotion that elected not to run in 2021 & 2022. Is there something other than the promotion not electing to run stopping Speedway from running in Swindon?

54 minutes ago, iainb said:

I've not been following this too closely, but correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the landlords build a new track which was used for a while before Covid hit, then it was the promotion that elected not to run in 2021 & 2022. Is there something other than the promotion not electing to run stopping Speedway from running in Swindon?

Pretty sure Terry Russell paid for the track modifications. Gaming wouldn't pay a penny towards that. They elected not to run in 2021 because of Covid uncertainty and this year because of the promise of the new stadium works being done this summer which of course is a load of BS. The only works that have happened are to flatten anything which could be used to run speedway in 2023 even if the stadium had remained with the old layout. We all know its the end, just wish we would stop being BS'd.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Still saps on Facebook thinking it's going ahead..I just wish the mangerment would end there pain is almost cruel now..Sad to say Swindon Speedway fans must be some of most Gullible people of all time.The trouble is the search for the new site is going start the process all over again.How some of them like the Local Mp is way above  insane. He just sold them down the river

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, orion said:

Still saps on Facebook thinking it's going ahead..I just wish the mangerment would end there pain is almost cruel now..Sad to say Swindon Speedway fans must be some of most Gullible people of all time.The trouble is the search for the new site is going start the process all over again.How some of them like the Local Mp is way above  insane. He just sold them down the river

Did you see the plans for new housing development? Looks to me like the houses are in the old back straight car park. Tomlinson has now replied to me on twitter and said the development can't start until the stadium is finished!!! I asked him if meant that exact development that was mentioned this morning so we will see if he commits to an answer.

I can't understand how anyone can think it will happen now. If you type in Justin Tomlinson Swindon Speedway into google then you will see articles going back to 2016 about working starting thanks to his tireless efforts!!! Makes me angry to read all that sh1te that came out of his mouth

• Like 1

1 hour ago, thecoombdog said:

Did you see the plans for new housing development? Looks to me like the houses are in the old back straight car park. Tomlinson has now replied to me on twitter and said the development can't start until the stadium is finished!!! I asked him if meant that exact development that was mentioned this morning so we will see if he commits to an answer.

I can't understand how anyone can think it will happen now. If you type in Justin Tomlinson Swindon Speedway into google then you will see articles going back to 2016 about working starting thanks to his tireless efforts!!! Makes me angry to read all that sh1te that came out of his mouth

If the dogs are shutting as many people are telling  me then  the Stadium just can't carry on..You feel like shaking people and  telling them to wake up  

2 hours ago, orion said:

He's a lying c*** mate....dreadful individual.

• Like 1

I know it's a long shot but I've no idea if anyone at Swindon Speedway (is it still a thing?) are actually interested in any possibility of the sport returning so have made contact with a handful of local business people I'm involved in one form of another and were going to attempt to get some cooperation and hopefully some form of subsidy from SBC (yes i know probably zero chance) regarding land and a possibility of multi function usage, Speedway and other leisure activities ...maybe a skatepark plus BMX track and for my selfish needs an open air and indoor concert venue. Believe it or not some people are interested keen on fact but we know how this Council hates sport leisure and The Arts. The USP on this must be an as much use facility as possible and possibly and reluctantly something that is of financial interest to the council but in no way let them much influence on the running of. Like I say long shot but there is Such a lack of proactiveness in this sad little area! Can only try (and rattle cages) 

Edited by hagonshocker
  • Like 3

With the way houses will encircle the stadium, there's zero chance of speedway returning, we need a new site, but with sbc track record on anything leisure based practically nil, all they want is more and more houses, swindon has become a lifeless rubbishhole.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, orion said:

If the dogs are shutting as many people are telling  me then  the Stadium just can't carry on..You feel like shaking people and  telling them to wake up  

Why does people having hope so bother you that you could get physical about it? 

Having hope and being positive never hurt anybody. 

They arent the ones letting you down. You need to be directing your anger at the developers and this awful council.

1 hour ago, BuzzCagney said:

Why does people having hope so bother you that you could get physical about it? 

Having hope and being positive never hurt anybody. 

They arent the ones letting you down. You need to be directing your anger at the developers and this awful council.

Having false hope can hurt loads of people as we about to see . silly statement 

42 minutes ago, Steve0 said:

So let me get my head round this ...Tomlinson is still saying that these houses in lady lane can't be built unless the Stadium is built first ? 

9 minutes ago, orion said:

So let me get my head round this ...Tomlinson is still saying that these houses in lady lane can't be built unless the Stadium is built first ? 

According to this: Taylor Wimpey to begin work on new Swindon housing development (swindonlink.com) the new houses are called "Robin Gardens" of all things.

Planning permission was granted in June 2022.

"Planning permission was granted in June 2022 and following the exchange of contracts last month - August 2022 - work is due to start on site soon."

No mention of any conditions before building work begins.

Edited by Grachan

22 minutes ago, Grachan said:

According to this: Taylor Wimpey to begin work on new Swindon housing development (swindonlink.com) the new houses are called "Robin Gardens" of all things.

"Planning permission was granted in June 2022 and following the exchange of contracts last month - August 2022 - work is due to start on site soon."

Thank you . Looks like Tomlinson is a bigger liar that we even thought 

54 minutes ago, Grachan said:

The fact they are naming roads and developments after speedway riders and the club is the ultimate p1ss take when they are all involved in trying to kill the club forever.

• Like 1