British Speedway Forum

Swindon Robins 2020

On 6/24/2022 at 6:50 PM, Skidder1 said:

Come on then Robins fans where is your support?

I think it's great that people are doing this but unfortunately I think all it will do is draw G.I and Tomlinson out of hiding and we will finally get the BS reason why it won't ever happen.  We will then get a load of bluster from Tomlinson about how the council will support us looking for a new venue. Crooks the lot of em.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, thecoombdog said:

I think it's great that people are doing this but unfortunately I think all it will do is draw G.I and Tomlinson out of hiding and we will finally get the BS reason why it won't ever happen.  We will then get a load of bluster from Tomlinson about how the council will support us looking for a new venue. Crooks the lot of em.

From the outset i always said Tomlinson last gambit will be we hope to find you a new Venue . Hopefully thou i think its  to late we at last we  getting everyone to understand that Gaming were never going to build a stadium .. Still in shock that it's took so long for so many for  the penny to drop .

The irony of course that people behind tomorrow project are the ones who ridiculed people who raised doubts about Gaming int in the first place 

Went to the protest outside the stadium, about 25 -30 fans there. The Advertiser & Richard Crowley we’re in attendance . A few photos of the protesters & a couple of interviews with Richard and that was pretty much it really. The mood was a bit downbeat, nobody feels confident about seeing Speedway at the Abbey again. Rosco’s sister was there & she said he and the club don’t know anymore than the fans. Richard Crowley said he’d emailed Clark Osborne and his second in command at GI  twice asking for an interview but strangely enough received no response. 
Richard said there’ll be a piece on Wiltshire Radio about the protest tomorrow at 7:30 in the sports bulletin.

Fair play to all who turned up but I don’t think it’s going to make much difference. Can’t see GI being moved enough to make any sort of statement. 

36 minutes ago, Gresham78 said:

Went to the protest outside the stadium, about 25 -30 fans there. The Advertiser & Richard Crowley we’re in attendance . A few photos of the protesters & a couple of interviews with Richard and that was pretty much it really. The mood was a bit downbeat, nobody feels confident about seeing Speedway at the Abbey again. Rosco’s sister was there & she said he and the club don’t know anymore than the fans. Richard Crowley said he’d emailed Clark Osborne and his second in command at GI  twice asking for an interview but strangely enough received no response. 
Richard said there’ll be a piece on Wiltshire Radio about the protest tomorrow at 7:30 in the sports bulletin.

Fair play to all who turned up but I don’t think it’s going to make much difference. Can’t see GI being moved enough to make any sort of statement. 

25-30, is that all!!!

12 hours ago, Anzum said:

I would have said there were closer to 50 people there. Interestingly, someone local said first time the gates had been  locked at night. 

That's a bit better but surely a few hundred would've looked more good for the media?

All part of the GI plan. The longer they drag it out, the more the interest dies.

The days of the initial passion and mobilisation in the town against the first redevelopment announcement are a distant memory...

• Like 5

Tomlinson keeps going on about the clause he put in about them building more houses .The trouble is unless they can move speedway back in that's a not of good to the fans .They should put in pen clauses etc in the first place giving Gi track record in not Building Staduims etc. How they got there pants pull down by them again is truly amazing .

20 hours ago, orion said:

Tomlinson keeps going on about the clause he put in about them building more houses .The trouble is unless they can move speedway back in that's a not of good to the fans .They should put in pen clauses etc in the first place giving Gi track record in not Building Staduims etc. How they got there pants pull down by them again is truly amazing .

I would say they made enough money from the first batch to sit and wait a few years for the site to become a dump and then re-apply for planning permission for houses. No one on the council give a flying F about sport or leisure in Swindon.

Good effort by everyone on Monday and it has got a fair bit of coverage in the media so if G.I still remain silent then that will tell everyone who still holds some hope that they should give up. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, thecoombdog said:

I would say they made enough money from the first batch to sit and wait a few years for the site to become a dump and then re-apply for planning permission for houses. No one on the council give a flying F about sport or leisure in Swindon.

Good effort by everyone on Monday and it has got a fair bit of coverage in the media so if G.I still remain silent then that will tell everyone who still holds some hope that they should give up. 

Exactly. The damage is already done. They  can ride things out as they already have the financial foundation in place from the early batches of houses.

I'm just flabbergasted it's taken so long for so many to realise as Stadia Uk / Gaming International have such a history of this at other places.

Edited by frigbo
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, frigbo said:

Exactly. The damage is already done. They  can ride things out as they already have the financial foundation in place from the early batches of houses.

I'm just flabbergasted it's taken so long for so many to realise as Stadia Uk / Gaming International have such a history of this at other places.

So it seems as though the next 'protest' will be when the greyhounds are on?!