British Speedway Forum

Swindon Robins 2020

3 minutes ago, Bunce said:

...and wasn't he involved with the ill-conceived return of Bristol Speedway although plaudeted at the time? Planning permission was never granted if memory serves hence its closure after two short years?

Edited by steve roberts

3 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

...and wasn't he involved with the ill-conceived return of Bristol Speedway although plaudeted at the time? Planning permission was never granted if memory serves hence its closure after two short years?

He was. I have programmes from Bristol and his photo is in them.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ghosty said:

Interesting to read Clarke Osborne's profile on Linked-in: My background is in accounting. I have through my career been an Accounts Manager, Company secretary, Finance director, Property Director, Managing Director and CEO, all within a PLC enviroment.

I have created and built new organisations in diverse business fields and in recent years successfully Chair a number companies and organisations.

I have international experience in Ireland, France, Spain, Singapore, Hong Kong, Australia and Japan.

Specialties: Team building and management, Change Management, Complex Negotiations, Company Aquisition and Disposal, Management Buy Out, Government Liaison, Complex Property Development, Food and Beverage, Major Public Facility Management and Promotion, Gambling systems management, Greyhound Racing Promotion, Media Rights.

modesty not a strong point

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Skidder1 said:

Just hopeful that the season could start in May!

Tom Cruise has heard about this and says he is ready to take on this Mission Impossible !!

Edit - Isn't it weird how if a football stadium gets a new one it puts the club on a stronger footing but if a speedway one tries to get one you are scared it is going to close the club down.

Edited by lisa-colette

7 hours ago, Ghosty said:

Interesting to read Clarke Osborne's profile on Linked-in: My background is in accounting. I have through my career been an Accounts Manager, Company secretary, Finance director, Property Director, Managing Director and CEO, all within a PLC enviroment.

I have created and built new organisations in diverse business fields and in recent years successfully Chair a number companies and organisations.

I have international experience in Ireland, France, Spain, Singapore, Hong Kong, Australia and Japan.

Specialties: Team building and management, Change Management, Complex Negotiations, Company Aquisition and Disposal, Management Buy Out, Government Liaison, Complex Property Development, Food and Beverage, Major Public Facility Management and Promotion, Gambling systems management, Greyhound Racing Promotion, Media Rights.

And building houses on where  speedway tracks once were 

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, orion said:

And building houses on where  speedway tracks once were 

...Thanfully he didn't get away with it at Cowley during the middle seventies although time seems to have caught up at Oxford although I hope that I'm proved wrong with that observation.

1 hour ago, Lefty said:

Link to Swindon website on Speedwaygb Premiership club listing has now disappeared. Sad times.

What with both Oxford and Reading long departed and now the immanent closure (?) of Swindon sad times indeed. Great local derbies over the years.

2 hours ago, steve roberts said:

What with both Oxford and Reading long departed and now the immanent closure (?) of Swindon sad times indeed. Great local derbies over the years.

No different to the Wimbledon v Hackney, Wembley, West Ham & White City derby's in my lifetime Steve. So long ago, it seems like it never happened.

• Sad 1

10 minutes ago, cityrebel said:

No different to the Wimbledon v Hackney, Wembley, West Ham & White City derby's in my lifetime Steve. So long ago, it seems like it never happened.

Yes during my three years following the "Rebels" used to enjoy the local derbies and visits to London. Not quite the same but Oxford's nearest National League rivals were Milton Keynes...another venue long gone. :(

Firstly .....Surely the Planning Permission granted for the new development requires a greyhound/speedway   stadium   to   be   provided ?  Anyone should be able to see a copy of the planning documents.

Secondly... I do hope Jason Doyle was given advance warning of the risk of Swindon not racing in 2021, given his much publicised loyalty to remain with Swindon in 2021. If not, hope he was suitably compensated. Sadly another poor advert for resaons to be loyal to British Speedway : - (

Thirdly .... Swindon should have no problems finding Speedway eacing accessories shoudl the y need them in 2022. There must still be a rusting portakabin  at Lakeside Speedway containing a set of flags, a start gate and a kit of parts for a safety fence. Rye Hosue may also have a selection of second hand parts.