British Speedway Forum

Swindon Robins 2020

in theory speedway could go ahead behind closed doors but the revenue loss could be a key factor!..simply have a pay per view live stream, cost per view is exactly the same as the entrance costs to the stadium....clubs could still get generate revenue by having sponsors adverts during the meeting, have heats sponsored, even have riders own sponsors to pay for adverts...the loss on secondary spend at the track would mean the landlords would then probably up the rent etc...but it is possible but just at a high risk/loss of income.

Far from ideal.

3 minutes ago, Odds On said:

in theory speedway could go ahead behind closed doors but the revenue loss could be a key factor!..simply have a pay per view live stream, cost per view is exactly the same as the entrance costs to the stadium....clubs could still get generate revenue by having sponsors adverts during the meeting, have heats sponsored, even have riders own sponsors to pay for adverts...the loss on secondary spend at the track would mean the landlords would then probably up the rent etc...but it is possible but just at a high risk/loss of income.

Far from ideal.

This would require new contracts between Eurosport/BT, the speedway organisations and existing Sports customers.

And a league would be impossible to fund without televising all four matches each week.

And there’s probably insufficient time and will to organise it.

Otherwise, it’s an idea.

6 minutes ago, DC2 said:

And a league would be impossible to fund without televising all four matches each week.

That is one of the fundamental problems with speedway right now, simply living above its means....if there is £1000 coming through the gate each week and there is £1000 averaging a week in sponsorship etc, then another £1000 being raised by supporters clubs on average per week, then the simple maths are £3000 a week budget...sometimes you just have to cut your cloth accordingly.....teams simply cannot afford to have their top rider equating to 75-100 people coming through the gate on a match night.

Yes i am fully aware the costs and income are far greater than the figures mentioned above they are purely used as an example!

23 minutes ago, Odds On said:

That is one of the fundamental problems with speedway right now, simply living above its means....if there is £1000 coming through the gate each week and there is £1000 averaging a week in sponsorship etc, then another £1000 being raised by supporters clubs on average per week, then the simple maths are £3000 a week budget...sometimes you just have to cut your cloth accordingly.....teams simply cannot afford to have their top rider equating to 75-100 people coming through the gate on a match night.

Yes i am fully aware the costs and income are far greater than the figures mentioned above they are purely used as an example!

Been that way for donkeys years though hasn't it?

All to try and win something that hardly anyone gives a monkey's about, with the vast majority, who still attend, there each week whether you win or lose because they are die hards of the sport.

Spending an incredible amount on riders who spend an incredible amount on their machinery, with hardly a penny spent on marketing and publicity?

An incredible business model..

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mikebv said:

Been that way for donkeys years though hasn't it?

All to try and win something that hardly anyone gives a monkey's about, with the vast majority, who still attend, there each week whether you win or lose because they are die hards of the sport.

Spending an incredible amount on riders who spend an incredible amount on their machinery, with hardly a penny spent on marketing and publicity?

An incredible business model..

Spot on mike, and that’s why we are where we are!
It’s a pity that promotors don’t go on this web site and listen to there customers! 

4 hours ago, Speedtiger said:

Spot on mike, and that’s why we are where we are!
It’s a pity that promotors don’t go on this web site and listen to there customers! 

Think a fair percentage of  promoters do come on the forum and read.... but in their arrogance ... they take nothing away.... after all what do we know!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Fixer2 said:

Think a fair percentage of  promoters do come on the forum and read.... but in their arrogance ... they take nothing away.... after all what do we know!

Well if that is the case and I take your word for it, then more fool them. It is little wonder then the sport is in the terminal mess it’s in and that was before the Covid19 crisis. Ignore your customer’s at your peril. 

14 hours ago, Crazy robin said:

Guess that means no Jason if speedway returns this season then?.

Can’t blame him really.

Ii guess it depends on whether Doyle has signed an exclusivity contract with his Polish clubs, if Poland relaxes their 14-day quarantine law and how quickly short haul flights return to normal.

1 hour ago, MattK said:

Ii guess it depends on whether Doyle has signed an exclusivity contract with his Polish clubs, if Poland relaxes their 14-day quarantine law and how quickly short haul flights return to normal.

As it not been said that if you ride in Poland that you will not be able to ride for any other teams in any country and to be honest I don't think there will be any cheap flights as there once was. 

1 hour ago, MattK said:

The bits I've read indicate exclusivity is a core part of the revised Polish contracts

• Like 2

2 hours ago, MattK said:

If he's signed on the bottom line in Poland then he can't ride in any other country's leagues.  I've lost track of who else Swindon have signed? Does it also affect Batchelor or others?

Edited by Skidder1
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, Skidder1 said:

If he's signed on the bottom line in Poland then he can't ride in any other country's leagues.  I've lost track of who else Swindon have signed? Does it also affect Batchelor or others?

Only the Polish Extraliga is running this year which I think means that only Doyle, Nicki Pedersen, NKI, Brady Kurtz, Dan Bewley and Robert Lambert could be affected.  No-one else in the British leagues is up to that quality. Word is that  Nicki Pedersen has doubts about wanting to live in Poland for the remainder of the Summer & Autumn.  I would expect that Kurtz will follow Doyle to Poland, NKI will stay in Poland and the two English lads will stay here. But that's just my expectation.

Contrary to some of what's written, the "exclusivity" is not a speedway club driven thing, it's really just a reflection of the current need for a 14 day quarantine every time you cross the border into Poland. Until that law is relaxed, hopping back and forth over the border will be a thing of the past. And don't for a minute think that the British Leagues are the worst knock-on victims of that. The Swedish leagues relied far more heavily on Polish riders, and how the SGP series can possibly exist, other than for the 3 rounds in Poland, I can't imagine.

Edited by uk_martin
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, uk_martin said:

Only the Polish Extraliga is running this year which I think means that only Doyle, Nicki Pedersen, Brady Kurtz, Dan Bewley and Robert Lambert could be affected.  No-one else in the British leagues is up to that quality. Word is that  Nicki Pedersen has doubts about wanting to live in Poland for the remainder of the Summer & Autumn.  I would expect that Kurtz will follow Doyle to Poland, and the two English lads will stay here. But that's just my expectation.

Contrary to some of what's written, the "exclusivity" is not a speedway club driven thing, it's really just a reflection of the current need for a 14 day quarantine every time you cross the border into Poland. Until that law is relaxed, hopping back and forth over the border will be a thing of the past. And don't for a minute think that the British Leagues are the worst knock-on victims of that. The Swedish leagues relied far more heavily on Polish riders, and how the SGP series can possibly exist, other than for the 3 rounds in Poland, I can't imagine.

Tai woffinden said online last night that Bewley and Fricke would be travelling with him to Poland.Also mentioned possibly holding 6 GPs in Poland.

2 minutes ago, Wolfie456 said:

Tai woffinden said online last night that Bewley and Fricke would be travelling with him to Poland.Also mentioned possibly holding 6 GPs in Poland.

There you go. News developing before our very eyes. Fricke isn't contracted to anyone in Britain though, is he?

So who's shedding tears for Belle Vue then? No Bewley and no Kurtz?

Just to put some meat on the bone with all of this chat. My understanding is that Sweden, Denmark & GB have blocked their riders signing in Poland “IF” they have jobs in their respective countries. Now can these contract be broken, I guess if there’s no guarantee of a start date in these countries then I guess it’s possible. Riders have until next week to commit to Poland & Poland only. Will have to stay in Poland for 5 months.