British Speedway Forum

Swindon Robins 2020

3 minutes ago, Sidney the robin said:

You said that last year and we were a winner if i remember rightly you once slated Doyley last year you said you did not rate him says it all really.

Yes, it was bad team building last season with two poor reserves and Lampart, all of whom were replaced, and we got lucky with Rasmus.

Next year’s team is going down the same road. Rosco’s only excuse must be that Musielak will not ride the UK and that Morris wants to return to Wolves.

It looks like our best hope is to have Jeppesen/Stewart at 2 on a 4 point average (unless we can fit Pickering on 4.36) and Perks 3.57 and Kemp 3 at reserve.

Regarding Doyle, I have only ever said that he is not in the same class as Leigh Adams and that he should be averaging a point more in this league.

4 minutes ago, DC2 said:

Yes, it was bad team building last season with two poor reserves and Lampart, all of whom were replaced, and we got lucky with Rasmus.

Next year’s team is going down the same road. Rosco’s only excuse must be that Musielak will not ride the UK and that Morris wants to return to Wolves.

It looks like our best hope is to have Jeppesen/Stewart at 2 on a 4 point average (unless we can fit Pickering on 4.36) and Perks 3.57 and Kemp 3 at reserve.

Regarding Doyle, I have only ever said that he is not in the same class as Leigh Adams and that he should be averaging a point more in this league.

Anders Rowe was fairly confident about securing a team place in the premier league from an article in the star the other week so the rules must have changed just like the 1 x over 8.

With bonus point Doyley averages 9.96, means he's team riding more!!!

Edited by hyabb17

4 minutes ago, A ORLOV said:

Unless another change in the rules has not been reported anywhere

If it has changed Orlov and he did come in on a three with Adam in as well we could get a four pointer meaning Ellis Perks could stay at reserve.Then after the first averages come out the management could stake stock and maybe make a change later on.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, DC2 said:

Alun made a change and got it right with Rasser he did not get lucky? give credit where it is due.Seeing as you are dead set against the shape of this side you give us what your 1/7 would be?? seeing as you think you are more capable than Alun/ Lee.

3 minutes ago, Sidney the robin said:

Leigh was a class act but Doyley has won a world title therefore putting him above him.

Do you really believe that?

Leigh was a legend in team speedway in every country for ten solid years and came second and had other top five finishes in the World Championship riding against similar speedway legends, Rickardsson, Gollob, Crump and Hancock.

Doyle’s competitors were emerging poles who hadn’t won a title, a hot and cold and often injured Woffinden and a 45 year old Greg Hancock.

12 minutes ago, Sidney the robin said:

Leigh was a class act but Doyley has won a world title therefore putting him above him.

For himself/individually but not above him as far as team contribution goes.  I'd never say Muller was above Jessup for example.

6 minutes ago, DC2 said:

Do you really believe that?

Leigh was a legend in team speedway in every country for ten solid years and came second and had other top five finishes in the World Championship riding against similar speedway legends, Rickardsson, Gollob, Crump and Hancock.

Doyle’s competitors were emerging poles who hadn’t won a title, a hot and cold and often injured Woffinden and a 45 year old Greg Hancock.

Totally right and Leigh is up there with the likes of Farndon, Duggan,Warren,Jessup, Carter,Sigalos, Ward, T.Jansson ( ect) who were all good anough to be a world champion.Doyley has gone a different route to most riders a slow burner he has recovered from horrendous injuries and won the pinnacle of our sport.

Edited by Sidney the robin

Pickering, Stewart or even a fit Sedgy is not a bad rider to have a choice of.

I can’t see that Ellis isn’t coming back as he would’ve been announced by another team in the same crowing way Wolves announced Douglas.

I also hope that Adam is back as he has proved me wrong & was fantastic at the end of season.

2 minutes ago, Crazy robin said:

Pickering, Stewart or even a fit Sedgy is not a bad rider to have a choice of.

I can’t see that Ellis isn’t coming back as he would’ve been announced by another team in the same crowing way Wolves announced Douglas.

I also hope that Adam is back as he has proved me wrong & was fantastic at the end of season.

Won't have to hope too hard CR! 

• Like 1

Personally I have never ever seen a better team rider than Leigh Adams. Absolute master at what is a difficult skill. As pointed out, Adams averaged an amazing 10 points per meeting consistently, and over several seasons. 

It’s very difficult to compare riders from different eras though. Doyle I would say is more mean and aggressive than Adams ( although again, Leigh was more aggressive than for example Martin Ashby. I remember watching the Ray Wilson/ Ashby run off in the British final at Coventry which decided the final place in the World Final at Wembley. There’s no doubt in my mind that Ashby would’ve won that classic race but he was too nice to Wilson, and allowed him through on the last bend. 

That said, how lucky have we been at Swindon over the years to see such great and genuine class number ones. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1