British Speedway Forum

Kent Kings 2020?

Speedway is rapidly approaching the point of unaffordability for a lot of people. The sport desperately needs new punters, but who will pay those prices. For the first time in 50 years of watching speedway, i am considering my options. The sport offers such poor value for money, i struggle to see how much longer it can survive in its present form.

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, Sings4Speedway said:

Genuinely fearful for Kent this year. A lot of good work has been done to get the club where it is and greed could easily undo much of it.

Same here....I was so looking forward to the Championship but those prices are a real kick in the teeth.Len and Kent have got this so wrong!!!!!!!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gazzac said:

How to alienate your fan base straight away. Surely it should be aligned with with Eastie on price, otherwise fans like Sings will go elsewhere for their speedway fix.

Trying to think logically about this, could it be due to Eastbourne having the more beneficial race day of Saturdays which Kent tried to get but the Council

turned them down. I'm sure I read somewhere that costs for Championship are double the National League costs. Can anyone verify that ?

16 minutes ago, cityrebel said:

Speedway is rapidly approaching the point of unaffordability for a lot of people. The sport desperately needs new punters, but who will pay those prices. For the first time in 50 years of watching speedway, i am considering my options. The sport offers such poor value for money, i struggle to see how much longer it can survive in its present form.

Sad but very much true. Especially for families etc. How can a sport that offer 1 1/2 hours of entertainment if the meeting runs at a decent pace hope to compete with other all day attractions? I am a likely to visit Kent this year the same amount of times that i visit the local animal park. The model of driving prices up to remain afloat will have to stop soon as this bubble is at bursting point.  

48 minutes ago, East End Fan said:

Trying to think logically about this, could it be due to Eastbourne having the more beneficial race day of Saturdays which Kent tried to get but the Council

turned them down. I'm sure I read somewhere that costs for Championship are double the National League costs. Can anyone verify that ?

That's what Len said.

1 hour ago, Sings4Speedway said:

Genuinely fearful for Kent this year. A lot of good work has been done to get the club where it is and greed could easily undo much of it.

Don't think the numbers for Championship racing will support it at these prices. Might still get a good crowd for NL. Shame was looking forward to Championship racing and riders.

14 minutes ago, East End Fan said:

Sounds like you know him quite well. How old is he ? I know he is my generation and I'm over 80.

Len turned 88 over the weekend. Lets face it he isn't chasing the profits (thats Roger Cearns) but he doesn't want to be pumping his own money into the project either. Kent have run a profit each season which is the right way to do business however not if the fans are those who are being forced out in the process.

4 hours ago, Old Crusader said:

Don't think the numbers for Championship racing will support it at these prices. Might still get a good crowd for NL. Shame was looking forward to Championship racing and riders.

Most expensive in the land including the PL. Only Belle Vue charge the same and even they offer an senior concession and, if you are a senior, it comes out £6 more than many other CL clubs.

• Thanks 1

With prices like this speedway is pricing all but the most avid fans ,,and the well off,,right out of the sport...another nail in the coffin of this once great sport of speedway......?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, therefused said:

£19!? Lens laughing all the way to the bank with that, what a pisstake. 

He will not be laughing if it effects crowds....and by the feedback I have seen it has upset a lot of Kent supporters.

2 hours ago, waco said:

With prices like this speedway is pricing all but the most avid fans ,,and the well off,,right out of the sport...another nail in the coffin of this once great sport of speedway......?

Not necessarily. Some other clubs offer good deals by comparison, Ipswich for example:-

Full paying adult £18, 60+ £16, 16/17 year olds £5 15 and under free.

• Like 1