British Speedway Forum

Is Jordan Palin ready for Championship speedway?

DC2

It’s pretty alarming that a 15 year old lad who turns 16 next February and who has completed just one season in the NL has been signed for Scunthorpe next season?

Is he old enough? Is he experienced enough? Will he lose confidence? Will he put other riders at risk?

It’s crazy, isn’t it? Surely it’s at least a season too soon?

How does his progress compare with Chris Holder, Tai Woffinden, Lewis Bridger and Drew Kemp?

Shouldn’t riders complete at least two seasons in the NL?

http://www.speedwaygb.co.uk/news.php?extend.37681

Edited by DC2

5 hours ago, crescent girl said:

Was Anders Rowe ready?  Was Leon Flint ready? 

If they're good enough, they're old enough. 

Possibly.

But then again there’s older young riders who have found it too much:

Jack Smith, Parkinson-Blackburn, Wajtknecht, Jacobs, Bailey, Knight, Thomas, Wood and Atkins. 

Something has gone wrong for these lads and I’d hate to see Palin get the stuffing knocked out of him and disappear.

Is one year’s NL experience really enough?

Palin is an amazing talent and I am a huge admirer of his, If Sheffield had remained in the Champ then i certainly wouldnt have objected to him signing for us. Agreed he is very young and only has 1 season of NL experience under is belt, however he has the talent, great backing and great family support. I expect Jordan will have a steady rise in the Champ however with these raw young talents you never know. All the best to young Jordan.

1 hour ago, DC2 said:

Possibly.

But then again there’s older young riders who have found it too much:

Jack Smith, Parkinson-Blackburn, Wajtknecht, Jacobs, Bailey, Knight, Thomas, Wood and Atkins. 

Something has gone wrong for these lads and I’d hate to see Palin get the stuffing knocked out of him and disappear.

Is one year’s NL experience really enough?

That has always been the case and will continue to happen, on the other hand, if you keep them protected too long they tend to stop at that level.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, DC2 said:

It’s pretty alarming that a 15 year old lad who turns 16 next February and who has completed just one season in the NL has been signed for Scunthorpe next season?

Is he old enough? Is he experienced enough? Will he lose confidence? Will he put other riders at risk?

It’s crazy, isn’t it? Surely it’s at least a season too soon?

How does his progress compare with Chris Holder, Tai Woffinden, Lewis Bridger and Drew Kemp?

Shouldn’t riders complete at least two seasons in the NL?

http://www.speedwaygb.co.uk/news.php?extend.37681

complete twaddle.

If you're good enough, you're old enough.

NDL likely to reduce is quality and quantity, he could double down anyway, let him race older more experienced riders and he will learn quicker.

Didn't do Peter Collins and Michael Lee any harm did it?? 

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, JCookie said:

Bickley, Flint, Smith and maybe even Kemp last season proved that the PL is not an easy league. I'd imagine, unless Palin is something special, then he'll probably average around 3/4 which isn't too bad.

Just underlines how good Woffinden was to do what he did.

Not to mention what a wasted talent Lewis Bridger was

Jordan attained a CMA of 9.45 re his league matches ... a superb performance for a 15 year old.

Going into the Championship at reserve is a must... hopefully Godfrey will put a no pressure tag on him and let him progress at his own pace.

A talented young lad who seems very level headed to me...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JCookie said:

Bickley, Flint, Smith and maybe even Kemp last season proved that the PL is not an easy league. I'd imagine, unless Palin is something special, then he'll probably average around 3/4 which isn't too bad.

Just underlines how good Woffinden was to do what he did.

I can remember only too well when Woffinden burst on to the scene. I can remember watching him in second halves at Sheffield and you could see then that this kid was going to be something special. At a very young age Tai was absolutely rinsing opposition riders with relative ease. Not to mention his PL riders championship victory in 08...

Being around the junior scene for many years now with my own produced riders, I have watched his progress and he is the real deal. He has progressed very steadily with great support from his whole family. He is not dirty, he is not a throttle basher, but he is a very technical astute rider who has great confidence and style. Of the recent great successes emanating from the junior scene and the NL, Jordan is the best, and is now being pushed by the Thompson twins, who will make great progress next year. My protege Archie Freeman is next, and next year we have hopes that he will follow in the same direction that Jordan has.

The junior scene is looking very good and healthy,  but we need a National League to drop into for more competition to take them to the next step, the Champiomsship.

• Like 3

Having watched JP, week in week out at amateur meetings, practice sessions, he's certainly mastered the Scunthorpe track, and I think he will be okay at home, Im not too sure on his experience on other Championship tracks, but with hopefully a older, more experienced reserve to help him, he should be ok.

An interesting debate. A couple of us were having a similar discussion about the Thompsons recently. The defining argument was that they would probably be racing against the same riders next years as this. We all know that "going up" a year (or 2) early is worse than staying down a year too long. But these kids are ambitious and we should do everything to make their progress possible. 

I'll tell you this. Seeing Jordan and the Thompsons racing at Leicester on 23rd October certainly made me think they were all the real deal.

• Like 1

Chris Holder stayed down an extra season with the IOW before moving up to Poole.

He seemed convinced that the extra experience, even in a league he had already mastered, was better for him.

Very few riders master a league and are ready to move up in just one season.

Yeah he is ready like I said a few weeks back that he'll be well capable of keeping the 2 point average & could possibly put a point on around the EWR & a half a point away at some not all tracks.. the lad had a great family behind him & also a good mentor in Wayne carter.. definitely 1 for the future as will young Archie Freeman & Danny Smith also Ben trigger & apologies if I have forgot to mention more but the future is looking good for GB SPEEDWAY

• Like 2