British Speedway Forum

workington ..

2 hours ago, singy13 said:

I haven't noticed the all important parking area on any pics...

....there won't be as many 'walk up fans' able to attend at this new facility...so hopefully plenty of parking space.

I think they are developing the site in the best way. Start with the track, then the buildings, standing and seating areas,  and then the add ons such as parking and services.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Tsunami said:

I think they are developing the site in the best way. Start with the track, then the buildings, standing and seating areas,  and then the add ons such as parking and services.

How long do you think it'll take to get a md's drivethru sorted,,, or kebab shop? ;)

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Baldyman said:

To save me going through loads of pages,,, can someone give me a brief account of how the track has come about,, as in who owns land and stuff, who is bringing the club back,, is it a group of fans or a local business man,, that sort of thing 

All I know is Honest John has been made a honourable director for his services to Workington speedway.lol

17 minutes ago, Baldyman said:

To save me going through loads of pages,,, can someone give me a brief account of how the track has come about,, as in who owns land and stuff, who is bringing the club back,, is it a group of fans or a local business man,, that sort of thing 

4 minutes ago, soupy said:

All I know is Honest John has been made a honourable director for his services to Workington speedway.lol

Was gunna suggest THJ, but seen they mentioned 'brief account' and thought otherwise.  ;)

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, Baldyman said:

Basically it's a venture by a local businessman and passionate Speedway fan Andrew Bain. He has ran the Northside training track site since 2017, from which he was running Amateur meetings and Training days on.

Since the demise of the Comets in 2018, there is an obvious gap in the market for Speedway in Workington. So plans to expand the track and site were drawn up with the support of the local council and it's grown from there really with Steve Lawson since getting involved to design and build the new track over the current training track site.

When I spoke to Andy plans are in place to run Open meetings this summer with the backing from Rob Godfrey and the BSPL, with certain local riders earmarked to ride. 

Other plans for the site include riders being able to book the track for practice days, with campsite type facilites including a workshop to prepare and strip bikes, and also hot wash facilites to wash bikes on site.

Edited by Marksman
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Baldyman said:

take your welders goggles off and read it you lazy   ?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Reading john walsh 's dream comets team in the "ss" today brings back so many memories from the 70s too today so comets fans who do u think he has missed out? For me taffy owen mal  mackay stand out, my favs were the likes of alan cowland , roger wright kym admunson i could go on , any thoughts fellow comets fans?

1 hour ago, geoff100 said:

Reading john walsh 's dream comets team in the "ss" today brings back so many memories from the 70s too today so comets fans who do u think he has missed out? For me taffy owen mal  mackay stand out, my favs were the likes of alan cowland , roger wright kym admunson i could go on , any thoughts fellow comets fans?

Interesting that there was no mention of any riders from the all conquering 2018 treble winning team. I would have thought Rene Bach and/or Mason Campton would have been worth a shout, as they both rode for the Comets for a number of years.

6 hours ago, bigdave said:

Interesting that there was no mention of any riders from the all conquering 2018 treble winning team. I would have thought Rene Bach and/or Mason Campton would have been worth a shout, as they both rode for the Comets for a number of years.

Yes I would include all of that 2018 team.  And of course Carl Stonehewer. But the man who got me to attend home and away during the opening 1970 season was the original Mr. Excitement, Bob Valentine - not the best gater, but that wasn't ever a problem to Bob...

10 minutes ago, singy13 said:

Yes I would include all of that 2018 team.  And of course Carl Stonehewer. But the man who got me to attend home and away during the opening 1970 season was the original Mr. Excitement, Bob Valentine - not the best gater, but that wasn't ever a problem to Bob...

I was 12 yr old in that first season i wish video was around then , happy days .

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Too many to squeeze in just one team as various riders stood out for different reasons in all era's of the mighty comets ending in our H18TORY season:party:

Some names from me to ponder on, Taffy Mal Steve Lawson, Terry Kelly, some from 1981 when I was heavily involved with the comets Wayne Jackson Guy Wilson etc then some of the modern day comets. But think stoney has to be a top pick in most teams

Only started watching from 1978 so did not see the early years riders .

So many riders to choose from Rene Bach ,Simon Stead , Gary stead , Des Wilson who never a big hitter but a good club man   

As said previously Guy Wilson who could forget that ride against Newcastle when he had a  puncture but won but was subsequently excluded !