British Speedway Forum

workington ..

• 2 months later...
5 minutes ago, Midget said:

Two year ago today since that historic night with comets cleaning up. The last night we would see speedway at derwent park. How I miss that place 

Who knew that night as we walked out we would never walk in again, even though am a rugby fan will never watch town again after the board ripped up the track, its up the haven for me now .

9 hours ago, Gunner85 said:

There were rumours of anew track close to the Northside site..... what happened

Was an article in speedway star a few weeks ago with the guy who hopes to do something, but we are in strange times at the moment, so would not like to guess the outcome, also Workington is home to several families who like to live in caravans !! And our local council have earmarked Northside area for a special site for the said people !!, Which would be an official one rather than the illegal ones they are using in the said area now and it is full of various bits off rubbish or worse left by the said people, so would not like to venture down to watch speedway

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Neila said:

Was an article in speedway star a few weeks ago with the guy who hopes to do something, but we are in strange times at the moment, so would not like to guess the outcome, also Workington is home to several families who like to live in caravans !! And our local council have earmarked Northside area for a special site for the said people !!, Which would be an official one rather than the illegal ones they are using in the said area now and it is full of various bits off rubbish or worse left by the said people, so would not like to venture down to watch speedway

Thanks, I do not get the Speedway star anymore.the council appear to have done a u turn. I was told that they were going to fence the area off to stop the caravans and let Speedway have a new track....

47 minutes ago, Gunner85 said:

Thanks, I do not get the Speedway star anymore.the council appear to have done a u turn. I was told that they were going to fence the area off to stop the caravans and let Speedway have a new track....

Maybe they realised that someone would probably steal the fence? ;)

On 10/29/2020 at 10:35 AM, geoff100 said:

Who knew that night as we walked out we would never walk in again, even though am a rugby fan will never watch town again after the board ripped up the track, its up the haven for me now .

That's shocked me geoff.......I've been a 'Townie' for a great many years, and always will be....yes it was awful to see the speedway track "ripped up", but I think even if it was still intact the Comets wouldn't be flying round it..............money, or rather the lack of it would have saw to that bitter end.

• Like 2

quote from ty proctor in this week's speedway star, What is your most memorable meeting you have been involved in ? The night we won the 1st trophy of our treble at Workington  he must have a soft spot for the comets especially after some of the dummy spitting out antics at times !! But as they say H18tory  :D

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Neila said:

quote from ty proctor in this week's speedway star, What is your most memorable meeting you have been involved in ? The night we won the 1st trophy of our treble at Workington  he must have a soft spot for the comets especially after some of the dummy spitting out antics at times !! But as they say H18tory  :D

When he's in the mood he's easily a 9 point rider in the championship & a 5 to 6 pointer in the prem.. But as you say his dummy comes out quite a lot.. but the talent is there no doubt

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
On 11/1/2020 at 8:00 PM, Neila said:

Think his ride at Glasgow after he had fallen and done his shoulder again was the ride of the season for him,certainly won them the victory overall.

• Sad 1

21 hours ago, jenga said:

something tells me it will B as rare as rocking horse `````````.... 

Jenga for your information many people in the area still subscribe to the speedway star, and I think several shops still stock it, do not that rare I believe

i was never one to subscribe to the star . also had a good few given to me on a regular bases ,  cos i am a tight ar$e . but maybe one day i may walk  into WH Smiths in Whitehaven and try and pick onE up . until then i will get info from here. and word of mouth . 

Merry Christmas . roll 2022 .

Edited by jenga
cant spell , as you know