British Speedway Forum

Sheffield 2020

8 hours ago, Baldyman said:

Would be a shocker of a decision if he wasn't a witch.   Having said that, the witches do throw a howler in on a regular basis 

Not really in Ipswich's hands, if he decides he’d like to race elsewhere there ain’t much you can do about it.

37 minutes ago, Bagpuss said:

Not really in Ipswich's hands, if he decides he’d like to race elsewhere there ain’t much you can do about it.

The 24-year-old has been impressed with the professional set up at Ipswich and said he wants to remain with the club in 2020.  

“Compared to every other club I have dealt with during my time In England for a couple of years they are very professional. They want you to do well as much as you want to do well. There has never been a problem if I have asked for advice or help. It was a good for me to go to a new club and I am glad it was Ipswich. I have really enjoyed my time here and hopefully if all goes to plan, I will be here next year and for years after that.”

Yes I know what people say and yes, this time of year riders do trot out the “I’d like to stay” line when pushed, but his comments from only a few weeks ago go above and beyond the standard line IMO. 

I’d be very very surprised if he goes elsewhere but let’s see, money does talk loudest after all. 

• Like 3

As we all know it's a numbers game so depending who else Ipswich sign his average might not fit!! Whenever he's guested for us at sheffield on numerous occasions he's always got on well with steady and the lads so he knows how professional Sheffield are.Id love him at Sheffield but if he goes to Ipswich so be it as long as we can get Josh G,Charles Wright and a couple of top heat leaders along with Nicol as one of the reserves.Exciting times at Sheffield next season.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Arch Stanton said:

The 24-year-old has been impressed with the professional set up at Ipswich and said he wants to remain with the club in 2020.  

“Compared to every other club I have dealt with during my time In England for a couple of years they are very professional. They want you to do well as much as you want to do well. There has never been a problem if I have asked for advice or help. It was a good for me to go to a new club and I am glad it was Ipswich. I have really enjoyed my time here and hopefully if all goes to plan, I will be here next year and for years after that.”

Yes I know what people say and yes, this time of year riders do trot out the “I’d like to stay” line when pushed, but his comments from only a few weeks ago go above and beyond the standard line IMO. 

I’d be very very surprised if he goes elsewhere but let’s see, money does talk loudest after all. 

To be fair I would be very surprised if it is true, I got the impression that and still think it he will be back at Ipswich.

But you never know and if it is true then it would be a very nice surprise.

54 minutes ago, Charlieboy said:

As we all know it's a numbers game so depending who else Ipswich sign his average might not fit!! Whenever he's guested for us at sheffield on numerous occasions he's always got on well with steady and the lads so he knows how professional Sheffield are.Id love him at Sheffield but if he goes to Ipswich so be it as long as we can get Josh G,Charles Wright and a couple of top heat leaders along with Nicol as one of the reserves.Exciting times at Sheffield next season.

5.56 isn’t a difficult number to fit in so if Allen doesn’t return it almost certainly won’t be because of “the numbers game”.

Maybe numbers as in £££ but not as in averages. 

Edited by Arch Stanton

I would think if they could afford to pay Iverssen and Harris they can afford Jake Allen ! We are expecting some announcements this week at Sheffield so we will see what happens.If Ipswich were really keen onJake I would have thought they would have had him signed pre AGM,like Scunthorpe did with a couple of their riders.

5 minutes ago, The Third Man said:

One rider no one seems to be mentioning is Todd Kurtz, got a feeling he will be back next season

I think the first three riders will be Brady & Todd and Josh G with maybe Broc Nichol as well

Why would you want Todd Kurtz in the PL?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, The Third Man said:

Didn't say I did, although he should be a good reserve at home, just think we will sign him

His converted average would be 3.39, but I assume he would be given the 4 point minimum like Broc Nicol?

Do all Americans and Australians have a 4 point minimum?

It seems strange that Aussies come into the CL on a 4 but Europeans come in on a 5 and that Europeans like Jan Graversen can go below 4 in both the CL and the PL but Aussies and Americans can’t.

Weird.

2 hours ago, The Third Man said:

One rider no one seems to be mentioning is Todd Kurtz, got a feeling he will be back next season

I think the first three riders will be Brady & Todd and Josh G with maybe Broc Nichol as well

Would make sense by the fact that both Todd and Broc are both assets of the club and Todd rides Sheffield so well.

So with that in mind maybe two different permutations to have a look at, one goes with the Nicki Pedersen rumour, the other does not.

(1) Nicki Pederesen 8.61

(2) Nick Morris 5.38

(3) Josh Gajczonek 7.29

(4) Brady Kurtz 7.54

(5) Richard Lawson/Kyle Howarth 5.64/ 5.58

(6) Broc Nicol 4.00

(7) Todd Kurtz 4.00

or

(1) Brady Kurtz 7.54

(2) Kyle Howarth 5.58

(3) Josh Gajczonek 7.29

(4) Charles Wright 6.52

(5) Jack Holder 7.49

(6) Broc Nicol 4.00

(7) Todd Kurtz 4.00

2 hours ago, DC2 said:

Why would you want Todd Kurtz in the PL?

I am quite unashamedly a fan of TK. He's one of those quiet blokes who's happy to play second fiddle to the top stars but who goes quietly about his business. He's scored more bonus points for Sheffield than any other rider for many years and has fewer 4th places than any of the other second-strings Sheffield have tried. Heat leaders are expected to win races (and he's not one of those) but he has the happy knack of turning the heat leaders' heat wins into 5-1s or 4-2s as opposed to 3-3s, which is really the key to winning matches.

It is worth noting that Sheffield's sudden improvement in the last third of the 2019 season only happened after they brought TK back in.

If he finds himself in the same team as his younger brother, who knows, it may unleash previously untapped potential. I for one would welcome him back into the Tigers' lair next season.

Edited by 4thbender

8 hours ago, Charlieboy said:

I would think if they could afford to pay Iverssen and Harris they can afford Jake Allen ! We are expecting some announcements this week at Sheffield so we will see what happens.If Ipswich were really keen onJake I would have thought they would have had him signed pre AGM,like Scunthorpe did with a couple of their riders.

Perhaps they’ve tried but he’s decided to keep his options open? Can imagine a few clubs would like him on their side. 

• Like 1