British Speedway Forum

Sheffield 2020

14 hours ago, Bald Bloke said:

Does that make it right, the team/fans loose for his gain..Joke

After last nights performance im not exactly sure this is only about lowering his average. Its ok trying to manipulate your average in order to get a team slot elsewhere, and maybe the management where onboard with this plan originally, especially as he was so open about it. But here comes a time when you need to put a performance in not only for the team but also to put yourself in the shop window. 

Troy has recently talked about looking abroad  as there are no offers coming in from the championship, but which Swedish or Polish side are going to make a chance on him now. He was easily outmuscled in a couple of races over the first 30 yards and never looked like passing anyone in a race after that. This talk of not riding enough doesnt sit well either, Reg Wilson and Doug Wyer only ever rode in one league once a week but still turned up every week to bang in a maximum. Tai Woffinden only rides once a week now but still does the business every time he turns out, in a much tougher league. I think his time at Sheffield is up, or so it should be.

I am unsure as to exactly when Sheffield's averages are officially changed again, so unsure of what is possible with regards team changes, but in my opinion Jack and Adam will be our main heat leaders, Tungate needs to come in for Troy and just maybe that would also allow Sedgman to return at reserve in place of Wright. As for the other reserve position there is little can be done there as all 4 point rising stars are employed elsewhere and the rest are no better or worse than Kyle Bickley anyway. Theres no point even waiting for Josh Bates, yes one meeting he could score 5 but he is as easily going to end up in the fence on turn 1 of heat 2 and score bugger all again, so also time to ditch him for good.

Other option would be to ask Belle Vue if they want to swap Kurtz for Batchelor 

5 hours ago, Heathcote said:

After last nights performance im not exactly sure this is only about lowering his average. Its ok trying to manipulate your average in order to get a team slot elsewhere, and maybe the management where onboard with this plan originally, especially as he was so open about it. But here comes a time when you need to put a performance in not only for the team but also to put yourself in the shop window. 

Troy has recently talked about looking abroad  as there are no offers coming in from the championship, but which Swedish or Polish side are going to make a chance on him now. He was easily outmuscled in a couple of races over the first 30 yards and never looked like passing anyone in a race after that. This talk of not riding enough doesnt sit well either, Reg Wilson and Doug Wyer only ever rode in one league once a week but still turned up every week to bang in a maximum. Tai Woffinden only rides once a week now but still does the business every time he turns out, in a much tougher league. I think his time at Sheffield is up, or so it should be.

I am unsure as to exactly when Sheffield's averages are officially changed again, so unsure of what is possible with regards team changes, but in my opinion Jack and Adam will be our main heat leaders, Tungate needs to come in for Troy and just maybe that would also allow Sedgman to return at reserve in place of Wright. As for the other reserve position there is little can be done there as all 4 point rising stars are employed elsewhere and the rest are no better or worse than Kyle Bickley anyway. Theres no point even waiting for Josh Bates, yes one meeting he could score 5 but he is as easily going to end up in the fence on turn 1 of heat 2 and score bugger all again, so also time to ditch him for good.

Other option would be to ask Belle Vue if they want to swap Kurtz for Batchelor 

Can't get Justin back, unless that's another rule that's been changed 

13 hours ago, lewy said:

Surely ben barker must be worth a go at Sheffield great track for him always gives 100%,he also has top equipment this year. 

Oh no, no! Not BB! Anyone but him! Kyle Howarth and BB in the same team would be a tinderbox.

1 hour ago, justathought said:

I think Dan Thompson would do a job for you at reserve. Once he got fully dialled into the track. He’s a great prospect 

just a thought.  

The reserve position isn't what needs fixing. 

Personally, while Harris is at No7 I'd go with guests or R/R

• Confused 3

Batch's  stats are fairly unusual to me. Most riders around his average 5.87 (second strings) seem to get as many ,if not more 2nd places than 1st places.

Troy's 2021 stats are...

15 1st places

5  2nd places

11 third places

13 4th places

A high number of wins for his average, a low number of 2nds. And around 60+% of his rides are 3rd or last.

I've not seen him ride this year, but the stats look like if he gates he is fast, because it don't look like the gets past much when in front. But if he don't he either can't be bothered/lowering his average (as he is reported to have said at the start of the season) or he has a genuine confidence issue. 

These are just my thoughts, having not seen him ride. But looking at his stats.

I had him as one of the top riders in the Prem before the season started.

Edited by Bald Bloke

19 minutes ago, Bald Bloke said:

I've not seen him ride this year, but the stats look like if he gates he is fast, because it don't look like the gets past much when in front. But if he don't he either can't be bothered/lowering his average (as he is reported to have said at the start of the season) or he has a genuine confidence issue. 

Yes,that's pretty much the case,especially at Owlerton.

Now he's not the number one it will be interesting to see where Steady places him in the team,assuming he stays a Tiger!

30 minutes ago, Andrew said:

Yes,that's pretty much the case,especially at Owlerton.

Now he's not the number one it will be interesting to see where Steady places him in the team,assuming he stays a Tiger!

Would it be better to make a double change. Say Kennett and Barker for Batchelor and Wright. Jack and Adam's averages suggest they are good enough to ride at 1 and 5. Strengthen up at reserve. Batchelor only scoring like a second string so losing nothing there.

I think ideally we need a triple change but don’t think Kennett /Barker plus another is the way to go. I’d be tempted to get Shanes in for Bates and I’d love to see Nicki in for Bachelor and then see what points we have left. It’s easy to get rid of Bachelor but harder to replace him. We’ve done it previously when we got shut of Bjerre and weakend the team. 

1 hour ago, Charlieboy said:

I’d be tempted to get Shanes in for Bates and I’d love to see Nicki in for Bachelor and then see what points we have left. 

Agree on James Shanes,odd that we haven't used him yet,Dan from Leicester looked promising last week against Kings Lynn aswell.

As for Nicki for Troy (if it was possible),I think you could only do that by losing another of the top 4 (Kyle or Josh) and rebuilding to 35.50 as Nicki would come in on 8.50 +.

8.00 was his given figure for Leicester back in 2018.

To replace Troy,a riders average has to be equal or lower than his average if you want to keep the other four. So for example,you couldn't use Nicki in a straight swap,but you could use Jack's big brother Chris 7.16,or Tai 7.03.(If only!)

Also there are Swedish fixtures on Thursdays that could impact a signing of a rider free of Polish meetings.