British Speedway Forum

Glasgow 2021

5 minutes ago, OveFundinFan said:

Seems some are ignoring the rule to be able to so work. 3 guys working on property next to me have travelled for 4 days from Deby to near Chester all in the front of a 3 seater van!

Thoughtless idiots. It's one thing putting your own health at risk but how many others lives are they putting at risk too?
Guess we can thank Demonic Cummings for making folk think everything is OK and lockdown is a waste of time.:angry:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hacksaw Jim Duggan said:

Wishful thinking. 

I doubt any speedway club will have the means to facilitate what will most likely be staggered arrival and departure, the means to cleanse facilities on site constantly etc and so on will likely be changed.

I would assume most clubs will have to spend before they can have, even for speedway, a restricted crowd attend. A gathering in a stadium will be seen as a hell of a lot different to people gathering at a beach. 

When even football clubs in Scotland are talking about virtual season passes it’s time to let it go that people will be attending for a while. 

Speedway isn’t going to be bent over for just because few people go. 

Even ignoring all that it will reach a stage this year when riders will be asking what the point in racing is, a couple of open meetings? It’s a battle enough getting most to attend them during a regular season, it would cost most of them money to risk injury in a year when they have had no racing income. 

prob correct mate

4 hours ago, Grachan said:

Is it? Surely they should come to a decision together and come out with a statement regarding the season that applies to all clubs.

What we will get, instead, is clubs dropping out one-by-one, which isn't a good way to present things.

Agreed and shows how useless and deluded some in the BSPA are thinking speedway will go on this year and are still hanging on to season ticket money. Glasgow are more realistic and honest about the situation. Also there other business must be seriously damaged and they have more important problems to deal with other than speedway.

It is hard to understand how any speedway club hasn’t got the same issues clearly highlighted in the Glasgow promotion’s statement. 

Speedway barely attracts breakeven attendances on a warm sunny evening .... to suggest they will be able to attract breakeven attendances under current circumstances ain’t going to happen. 

Parents aren’t happy to let their kids go back to school, let alone go out for the evening to a speedway track. As for the more mature sections of society many of them are still reluctant to leave their homes to collect groceries, let alone go out for the evening at a speedway track. All understandable of course .... but doesn’t make Speedway in the UK likely in 2020. 

I don’t see any proposals from BSPA on spectator safety being promulgated to build confidence........pointless statements saying they are ready to start the season as soon as possible.....so how about

each stadium to be assessed for maximum attendance to allow safe distancing. 

Pre booked online tickets for meetings .. no at the gate ticket sales

each ticket has a bookable  allotted arrival and departure time window with allocated seating/ standing area.... no wandering around the track permitted.

face coverings must be worn at trackside

Management of riders/ mechanics to follow polish ekstraliga rules. 

NO IDEA  how you manage toilet facilities. Some tracks have toilets with very cramped facilities ( Eastbournebeing one I know) with no means of safe entry/exit without bumping into people. 

Sadly the decision making will be like that of rain offs ..... yes the season is definitely ON ON ON and then suddenly it will be OFF. ☹️☹️☹️

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, old bob at herne bay said:

It is hard to understand how any speedway club hasn’t got the same issues clearly highlighted in the Glasgow promotion’s statement. 

I imagine a fair few are clinging on as they are sitting on season ticket holders money and pulling the plug would mean they have to pay everyone out.  

Glasgow with a few quid are maybe in a better position to repay fans.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, The Doctor... said:

I imagine a fair few are clinging on as they are sitting on season ticket holders money and pulling the plug would mean they have to pay everyone out.  

Glasgow with a few quid are maybe in a better position to repay fans.

Why does everyone assume Glasgow have got bottomless pockets? If you have watched the recent In The Red documentary you will have heard the promotion saying they loose about £100k a season.
Glasgow are very lucky to have owners that not only support speedway but also invest in the area including the junior (equivalent of non-league) football team but there is a limit to how long the Facenna's can be expected to dig into their personal accounts.
Perhaps this is one of the reasons Glasgow have been honest and up front about saying they are not running. Having 6 overseas riders in the team this year must also raise problems.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, cinderfella said:

Why does everyone assume Glasgow have got bottomless pockets? If you have watched the recent In The Red documentary you will have heard the promotion saying they loose about £100k a season.
Glasgow are very lucky to have owners that not only support speedway but also invest in the area including the junior (equivalent of non-league) football team but there is a limit to how long the Facenna's can be expected to dig into their personal accounts.
Perhaps this is one of the reasons Glasgow have been honest and up front about saying they are not running. Having 6 overseas riders in the team this year must also raise problems.

Did i say they've got bottomless pockets ?

I said they were likely in a better position to do something very basic that other clubs would struggle to do, ie refund season tickets. 

20 minutes ago, The Doctor... said:

Did i say they've got bottomless pockets ?

I said they were likely in a better position to do something very basic that other clubs would struggle to do, ie refund season tickets. 

Any decent run Club should not struggle to refund season ticket holders money IMO.
They are just hoping fans write the money off .

1 minute ago, Fromafar said:

Any decent run Club should not struggle to refund season ticket holders money IMO.

Correct - string them along long enough and hope fans just let it slide. Terrible really.

5 hours ago, cinderfella said:

The BSPA said the vast majority of promoters want to run meetings.. therefore there must be others with the same concerns as Glasgow.

as much as I would like to see Speedway in2020, I do not think it will happen...unless it is behind closed doors with pay per view live streaming... keep it safe

15 minutes ago, OveFundinFan said:

Don’t agree, some people, IMO, had made their mind up long before the Cummings trouble (which was stirred by the presses hate for him). People were blatantly breaking any and all the rules set from day one.

As a Supermarket manager I can 1000% concur....:rolleyes:

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Fromafar said:

Absolutely, that money should be put in a separate account. Not used to service over areas of the business.

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, cityrebel said:

Absolutely, that money should be put in a separate account. Not used to service over areas of the business.

Sadly the reality is that season ticket money is often spent before it comes in - football probably as bad as any sport in this regard. 

3 minutes ago, cityrebel said:

I suspect you'll find that in Speedway and almost every other Sport other than the very elite levels that it is season ticket income that keeps those Clubs going through the off-season as revenue streams from any Club that relies on gate money (as speedway does) dries up.

Certainly lower league soccer clubs rely on their as a source of income.

It's hand to mouth existence at best of times for many sports Clubs and speedway is no different.

50 minutes ago, HGould said:

I suspect you'll find that in Speedway and almost every other Sport other than the very elite levels that it is season ticket income that keeps those Clubs going through the off-season as revenue streams from any Club that relies on gate money (as speedway does) dries up.

Certainly lower league soccer clubs rely on their as a source of income.

It's hand to mouth existence at best of times for many sports Clubs and speedway is no different.

So my 10 meeting ticket money at Eastbourne, is probably long gone!