British Speedway Forum

RELEGATION IS THE AIM

On 10/18/2019 at 9:50 AM, mikebv said:

Many of its die hard fan base are now Speedway fans first and club fans second in a lot of cases.

Good point. Swindon are very much my team but I've a lot of time for Wolves and Belle Vue. Only club I dislike are Poole. More and more I find myself following specific riders regardless of who they turn out for. 

So not only the most successful club in the modern era but also for many the club thagt represents the model for how speedway so be run drops down a league. 

This after one poor season financially and one poor season on track by their high standards. 

What's gone wrong?

Well quite clearly winning trophy after trophy does not bring massive financial reward that allows the club to ride out one bad season. 

The attitude of Poole over the past few years of building up a asset base and win at all costs has quite clearly failed. 

Rider assets are worthless under employment law even in the mega bucks Polish league this practice doesn't happen. 

How many times have Poole bullied other teams to run at their level even when it's clear that UK speedway couldn't sustain it. 

It's a shame to see them drop down however it does give me a smug grin. 

On 10/17/2019 at 10:52 PM, SPD444 said:

Following on from Somerset and now, apparently Poole, in what other sport do the participants seek to be relegated to a lower division than stay in the top division. What message does that send to T.V. and sponsors generally. The Grand Final is the SUPER BOWL of GB speedway.....really...what a complete bore fest that was. Without change this “sport” is dead.

Not a case of relegation being the aim. Survival is the aim. Just happens to be that relegation is the way to survive. 

• Like 2

If Poole decide to drop down a  division then  the Premiership is finished. Lets be honest ,this year how credible is a top division with 7 teams, with 4 of those teams making a play off.  You need a 10 team league if you are to have a play off system. No Poole ? 6 teams ? . Maybe Buster can buy a couple more teams up to make it do-able . With the loss of Stoke and maybe Cradley Heath from the National League Surely a 2 League structure beckons in Britain .

Edited by iwright71
  • Like 1

On 10/18/2019 at 6:39 AM, mikebv said:

Several reasons why teams request to drop..

With financial being the obvious one.

With the underlying reasons of there being absolutely no kudos by winning any Speedway title nor any attainment levels to aspire too from the lowest league to the top..

No disrespect but a Grand Final in Speedway (UK), is akin to two bald men fighting over a comb..

Therefore what difference does it make to the clubs what league they race in?

Hardly anyone cares who wins.

There is almost zero National coverage..

And there is no financial reward worth speaking of, in fact, as we see, successful clubs can actually lose money and go bust by winning!!

Therefore you might as well decide amongst yourselves where you want to compete, and at the end of the day you can watch pretty much the same set of riders anyway so no loss there..

As you say, it sends out all the wrong messages, but that's where the sport is in the UK, and I suppose the overall thoughts are better to have clubs still in existence than not..

An ever decreasing circle though isn't it?

Classic case was Workington in 2018, won every trophy but went bust but in reality the writing was on the wall for the previous few seasons.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/18/2019 at 12:13 AM, SPD444 said:

I have been watching the NFL on tv since 1985 and whilst every game has not been heart pounding every week it has never failed to entertain.

I don't know about that. I was at Wembley last week and the Bungles were awful. In fact the Buccs were just as bad at Totteringham but some how were still in the game towards the final whistle! 

I've been to most of the London games and not many have set the pulse racing.  I am awaiting the Cheeseheads to finally arrive in London although I have seen them at Lambeau Field. 

I am guessing there is a cap on what promoters pay riders in the PL.

At least that’s what has been suggested so any continued success has been bought by the promoter from sponsorship or his own business.

Cradley Heath dominated speedway once with a glitterati team and then disappeared.

It is clear that the same is happening to Poole unfortunately.

19 hours ago, GWC said:

At least that’s what has been suggested so any continued success has been bought by the promoter from sponsorship or his own business.

Cradley Heath dominated speedway once with a glitterati team and then disappeared.

Didn't Cradley Heath disappear as there stadium was sold

On 10/18/2019 at 12:13 AM, SPD444 said:

I have been watching the NFL on tv since 1985 and whilst every game has not been heart pounding every week it has never failed to entertain.

It's all about peoples own preferences,NFL bores me to tears, our own Rugby is by far more entertaining. Just my opinion.

• Like 1

On 11/1/2019 at 12:22 PM, GWC said:

Cradley Heath disappeared because the Stadium was sold to developers, we didnt have any option to buy the Stadium it was all signed and sealed before anyone knew anything about it, unfortunately this is the way most developers work. The most recent attempt to get there own Track was halted because Developers had done a secret deal years before to obtain an option on the land, and it was secret because many Councillors did not know the option even existed.