British Speedway Forum

Poole Pirates 2021

18 minutes ago, DC2 said:

Maybe Aussie four pointers should be limited to one per team?

Poole have three!

If no foreigner came in below 5, our NL riders would stand a better chance of progression without the need to make one per team compulsory.

Would strongly disagree. Aussies have kept our sport alive in this country, if you turn down the aussies the sport dies here. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DC2 said:

I doubt that the transfer fees for Greaves, Hume, Bowtell or Kinsley would have exceeded air fares from Australia!

Can get a flight from Aus to Uk one way for as little as 400 quid. 

13 minutes ago, Sidney the robin said:

Yes certainly the top class ones but it should not be a training ground for the average one.

Jason Doyle was very average for many a year. 

A lot of average Aus riders do a lot in the UK, Allen, Heeps, Masters, Josh G, Batch (would argue he has been average for being a GP rider overall). Holder and Kurtz need to kick on this year or probs falling into the category.  

1 minute ago, poolebolton said:

Jason Doyle was very average for many a year. 

A lot of average Aus riders do a lot in the UK, Allen, Heeps, Masters, Josh G, Batch (would argue he has been average for being a GP rider overall). Holder and Kurtz need to kick on this year or probs falling into the category.  

Doyle from the outset was way above the new Aussies in the CL.

He was never a 4 point CL rider like Josh MacDonald!

Didn’t he top the IOW averages and then go straight into the Poole team as a 5 point EL rider?

Happy for Aussies (and all foreigners) to come over on minimum 5 point averages.

4 is too low and hampers the development of young Brits.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, DC2 said:

Didn’t he top the IOW averages and then go straight into the Poole team as a 5 point EL rider?

Happy for Aussies (and all foreigners) to come over on minimum 5 point averages.

Then was poor, yes he had injuries. Then got dropped and flew himself over and luckily got a team place after and injury at Poole. 

Was pretty average until he went to Leicester.  

2 hours ago, Sidney the robin said:

Well you saying there could be a change at the end of May Skidder says it all really about British speedway and some of the rules.Should you and your club be more confident in the same 1/7 barring injury until the end of the season.?

Maybe you misread my post and Clive's reply (as he wants full name disclosure).

I think Clive is implying that we could have a young Brit already in our own team i.e Stefan Nielsen at reserve come end of May and first GSA sheets.

6 minutes ago, poolebolton said:

Then was poor, yes he had injuries. Then got dropped and flew himself over and luckily got a team place after and injury at Poole. 

Was pretty average until he went to Leicester.  

Aren’t you mixing up an initially “average” EL rider (Doyle) with a below average CL rider (MacDonald)?

There’s no comparison.

10 minutes ago, STEVEHOLS54 said:

Maybe you misread my post and Clive's reply (as he wants full name disclosure).

I think Clive is implying that we could have a young Brit already in our own team i.e Stefan Nielsen at reserve come end of May and first GSA sheets.

Great that Stefan has a place whatever number he is, he has been unlucky with injuries and the numbers game over the years.

15 minutes ago, DC2 said:

Josh Mac should maybe more compared to the development of Jordie Stewart.

His first season in UK 2018 Stewart achieved 4.09 GSA - rolling av. 2019 achieved 5.74 and looks promising. 

Didn't this guy sign for 2020 for Swindon on a no doubt converted average making him 3.59 or even if it is 4, an attractive reserve signing in Prem. 

Josh Mac came in well after season start after Work didn't start. Was a reserve but finished at number 2 for Sheffield. Probably learned a lot and who knows a Prem team like Swindon could take advantage of the rules again come 2021 if he is an improving rider (or maybe Sheffield as they own him).

19 minutes ago, DC2 said:

Aren’t you mixing up an initially “average” EL rider (Doyle) with a below average CL rider (MacDonald)?

There’s no comparison.

Doyle in his first season in top league with Poole had a GSA of 4.76 2007. Only had 2 Poole meetings in 2006.

He was 22 near enough and ridden for 2 seasons at IOW in lower league. When he left Poole I don't think anyone would have said that was a future World Champ. Blessed with gating ability but always got overtaken. Maybe he is an exception as not many become WC with his background, and developing into such an aggressive (and top rider). None of those traits were apparent/visible in his earlier career.

However a shining example not just to young Aussies but also young Brits that there is always a chance to get to the top even when you are bout to turn 30.

If the likes of Josh Mac/Keleher and Cook get to half of what Jason has done, and in Champ then for me job done. Even if only 2 of them make it still job done.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Trackrat said:

Disgraceful signings while young British lads are out of work.

From the man only one letter short of having a more apt username suited to his comments and attitude towards anything Poole.

Poole had 8.97 points . I think you will find had they been able to secure originally planned Hansen on 5 or Bjerre on 5.87 then for sure they would have signed any Brit from Morley/Hume/Kinsley/Bowtell etc. 

With those dropping out they decided to go down the Aussie route which to a degree is a risk but surely not as risky as signing a 5 point unknown Dane who would struggle to get 2/3 (like history tells us in recent seasons) and a N/L quality Brit.

Personally I think Keleher is better than any of those named above or a young unknown Eastern European/Scand and we get a 4 pointer in Cook who could be anything but has beaten decent riders in Aussie and at 22 still has potential. If he got a GSA of 4 this season then job done for a first season.

1 hour ago, DC2 said:

Maybe Aussie four pointers should be limited to one per team?

Poole have three!

If no foreigner came in below 5, our NL riders would stand a better chance of progression without the need to make one per team compulsory.

Rubbish - if they're good enough, I don't care where they come from, rather than be stuck with some CL wobbler because he happens to be British.

Also the guff about Keleher  being too old at 27 to be considered - John Louis was nearly 29 when he made his debut for Ipswich, so thank goodness your "too old to recruit"  crap was not taken into account for him. 

Also for the Track*rat.

So it would be okay to lay ourselves bare to those teams who have stacked their top 5 like Leic/Redcar just because we have decided (partly due to circumstances), to go down the strength in depth route and we are still 0.97 under the official team limit. Don't forget we have 3 riders on 4 and 1 just over.

There are plenty of young Brits signed up in this league and it may well be that those who have not made it so far, find there way into teams as they may start to empty some of these riders as the season progresses and with the first GSA's end May. Let's see how loyal some of these teams stay to the young Brits if results not going as they want.

13 minutes ago, cyclone said:

Rubbish - if they're good enough, I don't care where they come from, rather than be stuck with some CL wobbler because he happens to be British.

Also the guff about Keleher  being too old at 27 to be considered - John Louis was nearly 29 when he made his debut for Ipswich, so thank goodness your "too old to recruit"  crap was not taken into account for him. 

Do you always talk to people like that?  :)