British Speedway Forum

Poole Pirates 2021

Not forgetting a certain Jason Crump:t:

That was 91 tho wasn't it ? , so top league by then.. i remember seeing him as a wobbler in the second half against Cradley that year or even possibly 92 - na 91 i reckon.

The common link with most of the riders named is Neil Street. It wasn't just the Aussies he advised/coached/nurtured a few others that spring to mind include: Simon Wigg, Simon Cross, Steve Schofield, Scott Nicholls, N.K.I. Neil was much more than a team manager, sadly he was never accredited or rewarded for his dedication to the sport in the U.K. unlike he was in Australia. This didn't bother him as he did for the love of the sport.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Ghosty said:

Not forgetting a certain Jason Crump:t:

That was 91 tho wasn't it ? , so top league by then.. i remember seeing him as a wobbler in the second half against Cradley that year or even possibly 92 - na 91 i reckon.

The common link with most of the riders named is Neil Street. It wasn't just the Aussies he advised/coached/nurtured a few others that spring to mind include: Simon Wigg, Simon Cross, Steve Schofield, Scott Nicholls, N.K.I. Neil was much more than a team manager, sadly he was never accredited or rewarded for his dedication to the sport in the U.K. unlike he was in Australia. This didn't bother him as he did for the love of the sport.

Absolutely correct. A total gent.  Something that can't be said of certain modern day sycophants in the sport. 

8 hours ago, Bagpuss said:

1992 was his first season, at Peterborough wasn’t it? Increased his average massively and they won the league. Then he was at Swindon in 93 and Poole in 94 when he made the World Final! Rapid progress in those early years. 

Probably right, it was definitely a second half i saw him in at Poole but don't think it was an actual team event. So yeh PB was his first legit season i guess.

1 hour ago, The Doctor... said:

Absolutely correct. A total gent.  Something that can't be said of certain modern day sycophants in the sport. 

Probably right, it was definitely a second half i saw him in at Poole but don't think it was an actual team event. So yeh PB was his first legit season i guess.

Jason second half racing started  against  Justin elkins I think

5 hours ago, ray c said:

don't think so martin was a shade better than Justin 

Mad to think how many clubs Elkins had over the years.  Had he been around now he would never have lasted imo. 

This forum alone would have put him in the loony bin with the mocking and criticism he would have got.  

51 minutes ago, The Doctor... said:

Mad to think how many clubs Elkins had over the years.  Had he been around now he would never have lasted imo. 

This forum alone would have put him in the loony bin with the mocking and criticism he would have got.  

Yes. Justin Elkins ef.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Racin Jason 72 said:

As a 15 year old he looked a superb prospect.  What went wrong ??? 

I'm sure others will give better answers than me, but to me it just looked like plain fear.

If he didn't have a clear track ahead of him, he looked like he got spooked very easy, bailing out as soon as riders started to bunch up around him. 

Ironically, a few of his retirements at Smallmead were downright dangerous almost causing crashes in themselves.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Racin Jason 72 said:

As a 15 year old he looked a superb prospect.  What went wrong ??? 

His Dad! 

Michael Lee famously built a motor for him. All they had to do was adjust timings etc, as normal. 

His Dad decided to strip the engine down and put it back HIS way. The results told you all you needed to know.

• Like 1