British Speedway Forum

Poole Pirates 2021

5 hours ago, Skidder1 said:

Oh wow! A club concerned with success?! Achieved that little objective many times over in recent years  as the Poole trophy cabinet bears witness?!

Developing young British talent should have started in the NL, and progressed through the SGBC as part of a properly planned structure. If any riders emerge with the right credentials then all SGBP clubs should give them a chance, but only if they can compete.

Very difficult to achieve when each league has virtually been stand alone and highly competitive in its own right. Not Poole's fault at all.

You mean like MOST Premiership clubs hosted a Youth meeting, but only Poole refused to run one in2019! :angry:

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Chris116 said:

Poole meeting was removed from the fixture list. Wolverhampton was cancelled due to rain and at the late stage of the season a new date could not be arranged. 

Poole don't do anything that costs them money for no reward. :P

Surely it's down to the 'BSPA' to develop British riders ? Not Poole Speedway Club? It's a difficult enough job to keep a club running/existing ?

BSPA could introduce a 'rule' insisting all clubs have at least one 'developing' British rider in their team (obviously certain criteria's would have to be implied?)

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, GiveusaB said:

Surely it's down to the 'BSPA' to develop British riders ? Not Poole Speedway Club? It's a difficult enough job to keep a club running/existing ?

BSPA could introduce a 'rule' insisting all clubs have at least one 'developing' British rider in their team (obviously certain criteria's would have to be implied?)

So where are the youngsters supposed to ride, if it's not down to the individual clubs to HELP the development?

Despite not having helped this year I'm sure that Poole would take any of the youngsters if their (the young riders) development continues!

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Gambo said:

So where are the youngsters supposed to ride, if it's not down to the individual clubs to HELP the development?

Despite not having helped this year I'm sure that Poole would take any of the youngsters if their (the young riders) development continues!

This is precisely the issue that is hurting Speedway across the whole country. Everyone agrees that development is required for the sport to survive and yet it is always considered someone else's problem. Poole were naughty not running the youth round this year but did allow a MSDL side to operate from their track which is still more than many clubs do. The BSPA only wants to promote the youth rounds and imposes some hefty fee's and requirements upon development league teams including the treats of not being able to run if they cannot find their own tracks. Referee's often don't want to officiate dev league meetings or youth rounds after main matches and 22 heats of racing counts as a double header so double the fee for the official. There are obviously some notable exceptions but in reality the future of the sport is being handled by a few unsung and unknown heroes. 

• Like 1

I’m no Poole speedway lover but to be fair to them their job is to build as strong a side as they can within the points limit and rules and regs ( :D ) and if there is nothing to say they have to have X number of young Brits in their side then they are not obliged to do so. Also it’s their first season at this level so they probably deserve a little slack although I do acknowledge that generally they have done two fifths of very little in recent years towards youth development. 

if poole are to remain in the championship for the foreseeable future then spotting and developing the best young british prospects should now be one of the promoters prioritys,need to be able to bring in good youngsters to fill future reserve positions,not been pooles forte in the past but times change,im sure theyre on it.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Gambo said:

You mean like MOST Premiership clubs hosted a Youth meeting, but only Poole refused to run one in2019! :angry:

Poole didn't just simply refuse. There were other issues - not least that Poole were scheduled at an away Premiership meeting at Swindon (I think) on the date given to them. 

In my opinion it should not be upto the Premiership clubs to directly assist the young rider development. There have been plenty of examples of young Brits included in SGBP teams only to become totally disillusioned as they were out of their depth (It happened twice to James Shanes for example) - this should be a properly structured and approved NL/SGBC responsibility in the first instance which I would hope the now SGBC clubs including Poole would support. 

As well as having strong Poole connections with the youngsters via Neil Vatcher, Wessex Marine and Meridian Lifts over many past seasons, some would say that is plentiful support!!!?;)

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Skidder1 said:

Poole didn't just simply refuse. There were other issues - not least that Poole were scheduled at an away Premiership meeting at Swindon (I think) on the date given to them. 

I think the actual reason given was that it would not be economically viable! They refused! They did not offer an alternative date. 

4 hours ago, poole keith said:

if poole are to remain in the championship for the foreseeable future then spotting and developing the best young british prospects should now be one of the promoters prioritys,need to be able to bring in good youngsters to fill future reserve positions,not been pooles forte in the past but times change,im sure theyre on it.

I agree. But you know as well as i do its a cost factor nowadays.  Good sponsorship for kids is hard to come by and the bank of mum and dad only streches so far. And they have to shell out the same sort of money as the pros. All bar the engines od course. the kids are pretty much bog standard. but still cost.

9 minutes ago, Starman2006 said:

I agree. But you know as well as i do its a cost factor nowadays.  Good sponsorship for kids is hard to come by and the bank of mum and dad only streches so far. And they have to shell out the same sort of money as the pros. All bar the engines od course. the kids are pretty much bog standard. but still cost.

what the hell does bog standard mean in your eyes then so insulting for young lads trying to make there way in racing speedway