British Speedway Forum

Poole Pirates 2021

4.96 with Zaine Kennedy or Zane Keleher is a huge gamble. Cant go with 4 riders on averages under 5.00.

Poole are in a bit of a bother with the final two imo. 

Rumoured names on this thread doesn't make for good reading. Emil Grondal is no good as POP said he's peaked and neither is Todd Kurtz been around for years and never done anything. Ideally Poole need Lasse Bjerre to have a change of heart otherwise the 1-7 could fall apart if they have to go with a weak tail.

3 minutes ago, Rockstar99 said:

4.96 with Zaine Kennedy or Zane Keleher is a huge gamble. Cant go with 4 riders on averages under 5.00.

Rumoured names on this thread doesn't make for good reading. Emil Grondal is no good as POP said he's peaked and neither is Todd Kurtz been around for years and never done anything. Ideally Poole need Lasse Bjerre to have a change of heart otherwise the 1-7 could fall apart if they have to go with a weak tail.

Someone as temperamental as Lasse Bjerre is a big gamble ,seems to have upset a few at most Teams he has rode for.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Pirates Of Poole said:

I would say if Bjerre did want to come he would be a steal on that average, but like you say rumours suggest he does not want to do UK in 2020. The issue is if we go with a 5.00 it leaves us with 3.97 for the final rider, short of the 4.00 we need to attract another Aussie over. 

So for me I would go with a 5.50-6.00 point rider and fill the final place with a young English rider coming up through. What's JPB doing now? 

not so sure JPB is the answer to your problem , all the talent in the world but how many times has he just up and quit teams already in his short career ?

4 minutes ago, Rockstar99 said:

I agree on the Bjerre front. Not sure what money being thrown at him but heard was a good offer.

The big problem is WHAT could  we get at 5 i.e a proven young Dane or Czech who showed what they can do in the World U21 Finals is one risk but an untried/unproven Young Dane is quite another. Suppose what a dead on 5 gives us is a choice from the proven N/L H/L such as Morley/Woods/Hume followed by Kinsley & Bowtell. The first 3 would in the main beat many/most of the N/L reserves named in Champ which along with Josh Mac would still give a decent reserve pairing. The last 2 named should at least beat as many as get beaten on any given week against these N/L riders.

The other issue we have even if we wanted 2 Aussie reserves is that we would be 0.07 short for a 5 point assessed rider which is again frustrating but that's the rules.

• Like 1

Just now, Fromafar said:

Someone as temperamental as Lasse Bjerre is a big gamble ,seems to have upset a few at most Teams he has rode for.

Upset a lot of teams lol. Still one of those riders who can reach the 7+ mark if he's in the right frame of mind though. 

Me personally. I would rather take a chance on Bjerre's temper knowing if he's happy he can score highly rather than signing a Emil Grondal or Todd Kurtz knowing they wont do anything.

rider who's worth looking at if he is willing to ride in the UK is Victor Palovaara. He's decent in this league and capable of scoring big points. Would have to go with a Brit reserve around the 2.00 - 2.70 mark though.

2 minutes ago, Rockstar99 said:

Upset a lot of teams lol. Still one of those riders who can reach the 7+ mark if he's in the right frame of mind though. 

Me personally. I would rather take a chance on Bjerre's temper knowing if he's happy he can score highly rather than signing a Emil Grondal or Todd Kurtz knowing they wont do anything.

rider who's worth looking at if he is willing to ride in the UK is Victor Palovaara. He's decent in this league and capable of scoring big points. Would have to go with a Brit reserve around the 2.00 - 2.70 mark though.

Surprised Palovaara has not been snapped up.Maybe doesn’t fancy UK.

• Like 1

Just my opinion I think Poole need to sacrifice the 2nd Aussie reserve they're rumoured to want.

If one of those top three have a bad night with mechanical issues or something then the tail end is not strong enough to compensate. 

Poole need a decent No.4 who has got the potential to become a No.3 or is someone who is at least capable of scoring 6+ a meeting to back up the HL's.

Tail full of riders on 4.00 - 4.50 is very weak. 

Worth giving the reserve slot to a young Brit and then try and get someone like Palovaara or Grobauer over for the No.4 slot if Bjerre doesn't change his mind.

10 minutes ago, Rockstar99 said:

Others worth considering.

Jonas B. Andersen on a 5.91

Michael Haertel was given an assessed 5.20 in 2018 so maybe he's worth giving a ring. 

Andersen not for me. At 27 not really progressing and arguably we might as well sign Kurtz and get a better quality reserve. Think Kurtz may also get 2.5% reduction having ridden in old N/L but not 100% sure. Still wouldn't want either option.

There was a rumour not long ago that Haertel might sign for KL or Ippo (his previous Uk team) in Prem but havent heard any more. Is he that good?? as we  didnt get a real chance to see although he only achieved a 4 in those matches he did ride. Think there are better 5 point young foreigners but like everything, do any of them want to do UK ??

Think the Ford's have their work cut out on this one  which may mean it drags on a while before concluding. It would concern me though like you if we were to end up with a long tail in the team.

One Aussie I would like to see in our team is Matthew Gilmore who looks best of the young crop coming out. Only 19 has already showed flashes in his short flying trip to POL in 2019. Has won a World youngster title in Europe and is already signed up for Leszno Nursery team for the next 2 years.

Is he ready for Uk yet. Well if POL willing to accept him with open arms you sometimes have to take a punt. A similar route to Lidsey maybe.

1 minute ago, STEVEHOLS54 said:

Andersen not for me. At 27 not really progressing and arguably we might as well sign Kurtz and get a better quality reserve. Think Kurtz may also get 2.5% reduction having ridden in old N/L but not 100% sure. Still wouldn't want either option.

There was a rumour not long ago that Haertel might sign for KL or Ippo (his previous Uk team) in Prem but havent heard any more. Is he that good?? as we  didnt get a real chance to see although he only achieved a 4 in those matches he did ride. Think there are better 5 point young foreigners but like everything, do any of them want to do UK ??

Think the Ford's have their work cut out on this one  which may mean it drags on a while before concluding. It would concern me though like you if we were to end up with a long tail in the team.

The secret is to take a chance with unknown on low average( e.g.young Aussie)and hope they come good.All  the known name are on an average for a reason.Unlikely to improve it much.IMO 

19 minutes ago, STEVEHOLS54 said:

One Aussie I would like to see in our team is Matthew Gilmore who looks best of the young crop coming out. Only 19 has already showed flashes in his short flying trip to POL in 2019. Has won a World youngster title in Europe and is already signed up for Leszno Nursery team for the next 2 years.

Is he ready for Uk yet. Well if POL willing to accept him with open arms you sometimes have to take a punt. A similar route to Lidsey maybe.

Matty  Gilmore is/was certainly under consideration but its the Number 4 position average that will dictate the final riders.

3 minutes ago, Skidder1 said:

Matty  Gilmore is/was certainly under consideration but its the Number 4 position average that will dictate the final riders.

I think that number 4 slot is proving a slight issue. Unless anything major happens over the next couple of days don’t expect any team news until January.

6 minutes ago, Pirates Of Poole said:

He would still be available on a 4.00 at present unless he has any British relations. 

Maybe they are checking back on the Ancestry.co.uk site to check if there is someone in there somewhere ;).

Suppose patience is the what word while they check who may/may not be available to finish those 2 last slots.