British Speedway Forum

Poole Pirates 2021

24 minutes ago, Steve Shovlar said:

If the rules are changing in June to open up, surely it’s better to cancel this meeting completely and put it back to when the stadium can fully re-open. 

That’s not the Speedway way. This is another typical British speedway own goal. The usual motto of Pi$$ off your regulars for short term gain has been applied yet again, it seems.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Steve Shovlar said:

If the rules are changing in June to open up, surely it’s better to cancel this meeting completely and put it back to when the stadium can fully re-open. 

Currently, that's a big if.

• Like 1

Haven't Newcastle got the same structure? 

ie blocks of six being sold..

The bottom line is that such low capacities need to have their returns maximised...

And to be fair to the teams faced with these reductions, many actually have a much less supply of tickets available than the demand from the fans. (For once).  Therefore they could have gone down the route of increasing admission by a more higher amount than they have..

In a block of six if only one person wants a ticket would they be prepared to pay the £108 that the block should deliver? I wouldnt think so..

You can rent an 8 bedroom villa in Spain for £4000 which could cost £500 each or £4000 for one.. Either way the owner needs £4000 for it..

Not ideal granted and it may mean some regulars dont get to go to every meeting, but much worse is a track closing due to being unable to financially keep going..

And if that happened no one would be able to buy tickets even in 'blocks of one'...

• Like 2

2 hours ago, mikebv said:

Haven't Newcastle got the same structure? 

ie blocks of six being sold..

My brother kindly bought my ticket for the upcoming Edinburgh/Armadale Double Header and bought 1 single ticket.  So no.

As was almost inevitable, little planning for re opening the speedway has taken place. NHS covid testing in the grandstand ( been there for a while ?) some half baked ideas about groups of 6 only due to crowd limits (no surprise crowd limits ?) In fact no planning at all for the possible scenarios has taken place. Trust to luck seems the order of the day. 

Guess they will be OK if they miss the p. Offs and get KOd from the KO cup in round one. 

Dan Ford clearly hasn’t ever looked at his crowd and spotted the number of solo supporters that attend, and meet up socially at the stadium . Poor promoting. Matt wouldn’t be impressed .... guess he has his own problems with his Chateau now in deepest France .

Sad to see what was once the UK’s  best  run club in such a mess. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, arnieg said:

I think Poole have badly misjudged the demographics of their fanbase and this has the potential to generate a fair amount of ill will.

Not exactly something new is it, they have been doing this for years

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, old bob at herne bay said:

As was almost inevitable, little planning for re opening the speedway has taken place. NHS covid testing in the grandstand ( been there for a while ?) some half baked ideas about groups of 6 only due to crowd limits (no surprise crowd limits ?) In fact no planning at all for the possible scenarios has taken place. Trust to luck seems the order of the day. 

Guess they will be OK if they miss the p. Offs and get KOd from the KO cup in round one. 

Dan Ford clearly hasn’t ever looked at his crowd and spotted the number of solo supporters that attend, and meet up socially at the stadium . Poor promoting. Matt wouldn’t be impressed .... guess he has his own problems with his Chateau now in deepest France .

Sad to see what was once the UK’s  best  run club in such a mess. 

Before you start accusing dan you really ought to get your homework right first 0/10 for that statement 

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, StevePark said:

My brother kindly bought my ticket for the upcoming Edinburgh/Armadale Double Header and bought 1 single ticket.  So no.

The Newcastle thread said it was a '6 block'.. (?)..

With THJ going into great detail as to why it was thus..

Maybe the council have agreed another plan?

If so, sounds much more fan friendly.. 

(Either that or you are going to have 5 new friends sat with you)..:D

27 minutes ago, ray c said:

Before you start accusing dan you really ought to get your homework right first 0/10 for that statement 

So  co promoter Dan does look at his crowd and knows that they all atend in groups of 6?  ?  Beggars belief that you can defend the co promoter of the speedway on this ?

20 minutes ago, old bob at herne bay said:

So  co promoter Dan does look at his crowd and knows that they all atend in groups of 6?  ?  Beggars belief that you can defend the co promoter of the speedway on this ?

get your  facts right i am not defending anyone . you obvious know more about poole speedway than i do 

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, mikebv said:

Booked on the terrace, so outside and standing.  As long as everyone keeps 2 metres away  that's fine by me.

37 minutes ago, old bob at herne bay said:

Its Matt that has been doing the negotiating!!  Believe it or not there are communication links between France and UK!!!

A number of other clubs are operating a similar 'block' approach - I guess it depends on exactly what reduced capacity each club is operating to and who sets that capacity?  Its just as well Matt retains good relationships with BCP Council as I hear that its mainly down to their pressure that the stadium will open at all!!

Anyway all season ticket holders have been emailed today (or if no email then a tele call in next 24 hours).

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Steve Shovlar said:

What about away fans? What if a couple from Berwick have booked time off to come down and paid for hotel rooms already? 

Football aren't allowing away fans!  If any have booked to come down then I hope they've booked a 'flexible' reservation.

Speedway isn’t football. I am going to Plymouth and Eastbourne next week. Had no issues booking single tickets.

I have made the call re: tickets at Poole. And we have just booked two tickets for Birmingham away.

Edited by Steve Shovlar
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, old bob at herne bay said:

An educated guess would tell you it wasn't his decision, prob a compromise.

1 hour ago, Skidder1 said:

Its Matt that has been doing the negotiating!!  Believe it or not there are communication links between France and UK!!!

A number of other clubs are operating a similar 'block' approach - I guess it depends on exactly what reduced capacity each club is operating to and who sets that capacity?  Its just as well Matt retains good relationships with BCP Council as I hear that its mainly down to their pressure that the stadium will open at all!!

Anyway all season ticket holders have been emailed today (or if no email then a tele call in next 24 hours).

Yep, as soon as I read they were involved in the talks I thought they hit a dead end with GI.

1 hour ago, Steve Shovlar said:

What about away fans? What if a couple from Berwick have booked time off to come down and paid for hotel rooms already? 

Oh come on, you take risks with this sort of thing when travelling to away meetings with rain offs etc.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, mikebv said:

It's blocks of 6 what they want to fill as a 6 if possible but if a pair wanted a slot they could use a six block and still just pay for 2... if that makes sense... Newcastle did have limited numbers of 2 slots and 4 slots anyway and it's all down to social distancing... 

It looks like Poole can have 30% of the max capacity of the stadium and I don't know what that equates to so say 900 fans if the place holds 3000... therefore that's 150 plots with 6 people in spaces 2 metres apart... 

So... and not having been to Poole Stadium I don't know... could you fit 150 blocks in the stadium that will allow for the recommended space of 2 metres social distancing... Will they get 900 or whatever fans coming to the meeting because let's be fair these promoters aren't daft and want as many people in they can get and they certainly won't be charging one person the price of 6 to get in the stadium ffs if they cant fill all the blocks...

Why does everything have to be taken to the ridiculous end of the spectrum... give the Promotion a little credit they want as many in as possible but at the same time the have to ensure everyone's safety... and no doubt they will...

Why turn a drama into a crisis... email the club tell them your predicament and I am sure you will be accommodated...

As you rightly say Mike there is always the opportunity to "bubble up" with other Poole fans to make a 6... become a Speedway Bubble...

Regards 

THJ

Edited by TotallyHonestJohn
  • Like 4