British Speedway Forum

Somerset 2020

Sad news indeed - a fantastic race track and some really lovely people involved!

Fair play to Debbie for making a detailed statement - but not sure too many people will buy the as if by chance conversation etc!   With Bungalow Bill holding a high rank locally, he quite understandably has cashed in on prime land, who can blame him in current times!    I'm also sure he could have got planning applications through around speedway and use if he really wanted too, so part of her statement has tarnished things a bit for me!

Just be honest and say we are making a tidy sum by flogging the land, instead of losing money running speedway!  No one can blame them for that!  

• Like 7

49 minutes ago, Barry The Cat said:

Sad news indeed - a fantastic race track and some really lovely people involved!

Fair play to Debbie for making a detailed statement - but not sure too many people will buy the as if by chance conversation etc!   With Bungalow Bill holding a high rank locally, he quite understandably has cashed in on prime land, who can blame him in current times!    I'm also sure he could have got planning applications through around speedway and use if he really wanted too, so part of her statement has tarnished things a bit for me!

Just be honest and say we are making a tidy sum by flogging the land, instead of losing money running speedway!  No one can blame them for that!  

Spot on post .. we  give up on speedway to makes lots of money .. nothing wrong with that so no need  for the bull crap .

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, orion said:

Spot on post .. we  give up on speedway to makes lots of money .. nothing wrong with that so no need  for the bull crap .

Agree ,no shame selling up  in the current climate,and the state of the Sport in GB.Only owners with deep pockets and Supporters Club Donations keeping most Clubs afloat.

• Like 2

Gutted to hear this what sad news. I’ve witnessed several remarkable seasons of action at the OTA so thank you to the Hancock’s all riders and volunteers over the years  you have facilitated fantastic entertainment it really was a pleasure attending every week - you cannot beat the Friday night race nights for me. I just hope their is a miracle and someone takes the reins on however unlikely that is in the foreseeable future. Best of luck to all involved and thank you for the memories 

At the end of the day it's their land and they are entitled to do what they see fit. Business is business. However the loyal Somerset fans who have spent their hard earned cash at both the speedway and the clubhouse over the years deserve honesty. The Hancock's would have more respect out of this if they were just honest and said "look, we've had an offer on the land we can't refuse and have sold it". Disappointing yes but at least honest. Hiding behind the Covid curtain and blaming it all on that is just a blatant lie. I was in the area last month and went and had a nosey. The land was being dug up and most of the signs for speedway were being removed. It was fairly obvious what was happening. 

Honesty goes a long way. 

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Najjer said:

This is the nail well and truly hit on the head.

Many promotors tried before the Hancock’s (Hewlett, Toogood, Golding, Pavitt and even Mark Saunders and co from Sharp amongst others) but ultimately if the Hancock’s can’t make it pay, or can earn a lot more from other avenues, when they owned the food/drink, car park, land and just about everything else in between - then there is no chance of leasing that to someone else.

Somerset has I feel been somewhat in reverse and on the wind down since our final season in the Premiership. A very attractive team and the World Champion in a bid to conquer everything didn’t come cheap and was, in my opinion, the beginning of the downward spiral to where we are today. 

As I said earlier, such a huge shame for it to end this way.

I regret not going there now its closed was the location a problem for previous promoters?

2 hours ago, Barry The Cat said:

I agree with you. It's a sports club not a shoe shop. The fans deserve that.

I don't like the final paragraph of their statement.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, noaksey said:

I agree with you. It's a sports club not a shoe shop. The fans deserve that.

I don't like the final paragraph of their statement.

The sentiment is effectively “we’re closing - we aren’t saying anymore about it.” - that doesn’t come across very well to be honest. Especially when everybody who has been associated with the club has been thanked.... except the ones who kept the club going, the fans.

• Like 5

I would like to think the Hancock's will give a more in-depth interview on the overall reason why Somerset Speedway is no more, the loyal fans deserve it & other promotions could learn from it. 

I have said it before: I'm sure the year in the Premiership created huge debts, this hopefully would under normal circumstances have been clawed back over the last few years but with forced race nights & covid this didn't happen. 

To their "credit" the Hancocks never presented the begging bowl to the sponsors or the fans, maybe they should have? Maybe if they had been more open with any problems a solution might have been offered. Maybe, Maybe, Maybe, what is fact another one bits the dust.

On 4/24/2021 at 9:03 PM, Triple.H. said:

i'm sure it said the new owners of the clubhouse were in a completely different business and wouldn't be running  it as a hospitality venue.

Whether they are in different business or not,a clubhouse is there to be used ,and would have thought some kind of agreement could have been made to use the clubhouse on race nights.As words used by Debbie Hancock when the offer came along TO SELL THE CLUB HOUSE,"IT A NO BRAINER NOT TO USE IT"!!!!!!

Edited by speedwaysliders

15 minutes ago, speedwaysliders said:

Whether they are in different business or not,a clubhouse is there to be used ,and would have thought some kind of agreement could have been made to use the clubhouse on race nights.As words used by Debbie Hancock when the offer came along TO SELL THE CLUB HOUSE,"IT A NO BRAINER NOT TO USE IT"!!!!!!

If the company who have bought it are not going to use it as a clubhouse, then I doubt it could be used as one on an adhoc basis one day a week. Maybe it will be offices, or a training centre for certain trades.

Maybe she meant it's a no brainer to take the money offered for the clubhouse.

IMO the Hancock family probably got fed up with working in the inner sanctum of a body that show so much ineptitude and self interest, instead of the greater good of the whole.

Even though that body is way behind the current leaders in the I'm alright Jack World Championships

The Cabinet

If they've been offered silly money they'd be daft not to take it.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Triple.H. said:

If the company who have bought it are not going to use it as a clubhouse, then I doubt it could be used as one on an adhoc basis one day a week. Maybe it will be offices, or a training centre for certain trades.

IMO the Hancock family probably got fed up with working in the inner sanctum of a body that show so much ineptitude and self interest, instead of the greater good of the whole.

Even though that body is way behind the current leaders in the I'm alright Jack World Championships

The Cabinet

Remember she was one of the inner sanctum.

It was their club, their track, their land , they have chosen to sell up and take the money, that’s business and it’s their choice.

Sad loss to speedway but predictable .

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Triple.H. said:

The Cabinet

I AGREE with mostly everything you said,I cant get my head round the clubhouse.SUrely if are buying it,you make the most of it,if only to to sell sandwiches to the workers that are building the new units for an example. ANYTHING that brings in an income has to be looked at,thats why im surprised evan with the sale of the land,it doesnt effect the clubhouse or track if i understand correct.So the Hancocks have got their money from the land and clubhouse .whats stopping them to run?!! 

JUST out of interest does anyone know the events coming up at the clubhouse?

4 hours ago, speedwaysliders said:

I AGREE with mostly everything you said,I cant get my head round the clubhouse.SUrely if are buying it,you make the most of it,if only to to sell sandwiches to the workers that are building the new units for an example. ANYTHING that brings in an income has to be looked at,thats why im surprised evan with the sale of the land,it doesnt effect the clubhouse or track if i understand correct.So the Hancocks have got their money from the land and clubhouse .whats stopping them to run?!! 

JUST out of interest does anyone know the events coming up at the clubhouse?

I think the Council restrictions on when the track could be used have been a massive hindrance, lets face it its pretty much in the middle of nowhere with a motorway a couple of hundred yards away, so noise shouldn't really be an issue. As a Hackney fan i reckon you're probably at least 21 and a bit and able to remember like myself when the bikes were noisy, nowadays they're incredibly quiet in comparison.

It's a sad loss to the sport, a great track. The Pairs along with the 4TT are my 2 favourite events in British Speedway, both always a good day out with entertaining racing

On 5/29/2021 at 3:27 PM, Ringitsneck said:

Remember she was one of the inner sanctum.

It was their club, their track, their land , they have chosen to sell up and take the money, that’s business and it’s their choice.

Sad loss to speedway but predictable .

Yet another example which dispels the saying 'if only the promoter had owned the track, they would still be running'! :unsure: 

• Like 3

On 5/30/2021 at 6:08 PM, Greg said:

I saw they where selling club asset any idea who i dont know somerset asset list .

If you’re referring to riders, there is very few that hold any value nowadays. All the likes of Sam Masters, Jake Allen etc was sold on years ago

• Like 1