British Speedway Forum

Somerset 2020

21 hours ago, womble53 said:

I haven't looked in on here for a while now but I find some of the post on this thread, in particular the last few pages, are nothing more than speculative & presumptuous. I also know for a fact that those post are totally inaccurate to say the least. Obviously Lockdown is affecting some people more than others ;)

So let's put a few FACTS on the table...............

1. The 2021 One to Seven is exactly the same as the 2020 One to Seven, so NO CHANGES there.

2. Henry Atkins is a Club asset but has NOT signed for the Rebels 2021 line up (See Number 1 for clarification)

3. Race nights are NOT changing from Wednesday. If you read the previous planning application, which is referenced in this latest one, you'll find that the wording is exactly the same as that one (From Pete Toogood's time as promoter), I'm led to believe that as long as the club doesn't exceed the 30 race day restriction, the wording of the application is not relevant to the actual race night, as the club can use any night as an alternative from Wednesday, subject to the 30 day rule. The Oaktree needs to use Friday nights for functions to offset the economic problems most businesses have suffered this year, so the last thing they would want is to use up a night that put's the hospitality side of the Oaktree business back on an even keel.

To finish off, just a personal observation from the last few pages, this is a Somerset thread but it appears to have been transported to Plymouth for some reason, although I shouldn't be surprised with Lewy throwing in his two-penneth worth all over the place :rolleyes: .

So what is the new planning applications (that’s in the local domain) actual purpose? Especially considering it is actually worded incorrectly according to you to say that the main racenight will actually be Friday with Wednesdays used as an alternative. That just seems a little backwards to me to apply for something they can already do, yet not alter the wording? Im not sure when the new Oak Tree business park is due for completion but you’d anticipate that would bring in a nice income. 

No idea on the Henry Atkins front and where that rumour has come from, but it’s been posted by two separate people now so there must be some legs in it somewhere. Either way, Atkins or not I’m very surprised that the team hasn’t/isn’t changing. Will take your word on that also until we see that actually officially confirmed. 

All speculation as you say... but isn’t that what a forum is for to discuss??

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Najjer said:

So what is the new planning applications (that’s in the local domain) actual purpose? Especially considering it is actually worded incorrectly according to you to say that the main racenight will actually be Friday with Wednesdays used as an alternative. That just seems a little backwards to me to apply for something they can already do, yet not alter the wording? Im not sure when the new Oak Tree business park is due for completion but you’d anticipate that would bring in a nice income.

It's just a renewal of the existing planning application, as referred to in the notice, with the wording that has not been changed since the Pete Toogood era but the regular & alternate race nights have been changed and already been agreed with the council over the subsequent years, without the necessity of rewording the application, with the proviso that the club doesn't exceed the 30 race night rule.

No idea on the Henry Atkins front and where that rumour has come from, but it’s been posted by two separate people now so there must be some legs in it somewhere. Either way, Atkins or not I’m very surprised that the team hasn’t/isn’t changing. Will take your word on that also until we see that actually officially confirmed. 

How long have you known me now? I did use the word FACTS & I'm not in the habit of making them up, when I have them, as you would know 

All speculation as you say... but isn’t that what a forum is for to discuss??

Agreed but sometimes the speculation is mischievous :rolleyes:

Edited by womble53
  • Like 1

On 12/1/2020 at 4:30 PM, lewy said:

Its a forum so the idea is to discuss and have opinions we will wait and see on the Henry atkins situation and see who's two penneth is correct, you can get back in your box now!

So opinions are more valid than the truth?

I also know my two-penneth is safe Lewy and my box is very warm and cosy, thank you ;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

If what I am hearing is true, how many more clubs are going to finish up for 2021? Somerset and Swindon, there is bound to be a lot more.

If I am being honest, all promoters who intend to run beyond 2021 should get together and plan a decent product for 2022. One league instead of two, which consists of mostly the same riders anyway. One big league. Do away with the knock out cup, premier trophy etc and have one big league campaign and top four to the play offs. Ban any GP riders or other high ranked foreign riders who only want to ride when they fancy it. You only see one team visit every year instead of 2/3 or even 4 times a year.

It is clearly obvious nothing will be happening in 2021 apart from maybe a few meetings at the tail end of the season. The country is rife with this virus , its in complete lockdown near enough and there is no way in hell by even May you will get the green light to have as many fans as you want into a stadium. No matter what a few of the fans think, I have seen it happen in Australia. There are no new cases in Victoria or active cases, yet in 6 weeks the F1 opener has been cancelled already due to no fans being allowed in. And I read somewhere that the UK want to follow Australia and NZ's examples in order to get back to some sort of normality. So prepare for another cancelled season of speedway.

Idiots like Godfrey will keep you believing it is going to happen, but it wont. 

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, Pinny said:

If what I am hearing is true, how many more clubs are going to finish up for 2021? Somerset and Swindon, there is bound to be a lot more.

If I am being honest, all promoters who intend to run beyond 2021 should get together and plan a decent product for 2022. One league instead of two, which consists of mostly the same riders anyway. One big league. Do away with the knock out cup, premier trophy etc and have one big league campaign and top four to the play offs. Ban any GP riders or other high ranked foreign riders who only want to ride when they fancy it. You only see one team visit every year instead of 2/3 or even 4 times a year.

It is clearly obvious nothing will be happening in 2021 apart from maybe a few meetings at the tail end of the season. The country is rife with this virus , its in complete lockdown near enough and there is no way in hell by even May you will get the green light to have as many fans as you want into a stadium. No matter what a few of the fans think, I have seen it happen in Australia. There are no new cases in Victoria or active cases, yet in 6 weeks the F1 opener has been cancelled already due to no fans being allowed in. And I read somewhere that the UK want to follow Australia and NZ's examples in order to get back to some sort of normality. So prepare for another cancelled season of speedway.

Spot on..

In other words, a huge opportunity to reset the operating model and business plan, to where it should have been reset donkeys years ago, as soon as it became obvious that the increase in FIM events, better paying leagues, and national federations themselves, had started to dictate to the UK who could ride when and where, and ultimately meant the UK had lost control over their own destiny.. 

Many years too late it maybe for action, but the pandemic has given them a gift horse...

Let's hope they dont just look at its mouth...

Edited by mikebv

34 minutes ago, Pinny said:

I don't get this thing about banning GP riders. There was only due to be one GP riding here this year anyway, and he has never, as far as I can recall, missed a meeting because of it (unless you count getting injured riding in one).

Now, with Swindon pulling out, there won't be any.

It just turns into another witch hunt against Jason Doyle, who has always shown loyalty to the UK anyway. I don't see why any club should not be allowed to sign a top World Class rider who wants to ride here if they want to. How does this effect other clubs? If anything, it gives them an attractive opposition when Jason comes to ride.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Grachan said:

I don't get this thing about banning GP riders. There was only due to be one GP riding here this year anyway, and he has never, as far as I can recall, missed a meeting because of it (unless you count getting injured riding in one).

Now, with Swindon pulling out, there won't be any.

It just turns into another witch hunt against Jason Doyle, who has always shown loyalty to the UK anyway. I don't see why any club should not be allowed to sign a top World Class rider who wants to ride here if they want to. How does this effect other clubs? If anything, it gives them an attractive opposition when Jason comes to ride.

Not another witch hunt against Doyle at all. I only recently on the KL thread on how he has been a superb servant to UK speedway.

Its more regarding other GP riders who over the years have picked and chose, pulled out last minute meaning clubs have to use a 3.00 rider or no rider at all to replace them. They have been nothing but a hindrance . If UK speedway is going to rebuild, it needs to start at the bottom. 

51 minutes ago, Pinny said:

Not another witch hunt against Doyle at all. I only recently on the KL thread on how he has been a superb servant to UK speedway.

Its more regarding other GP riders who over the years have picked and chose, pulled out last minute meaning clubs have to use a 3.00 rider or no rider at all to replace them. They have been nothing but a hindrance . If UK speedway is going to rebuild, it needs to start at the bottom. 

I didn't mean you personally when I said witch hunt. Just that is what it becomes as he is the one GP rider who has stuck with the UK.

Interesting that the press release on the Somerset site differs from the one released on the BSPL site where they appear to have missed off the paragraph about not being guaranteed a full campaign. Classic case of BSPL burying their heads in the sand when something is said that they don’t like perhaps? As Lord General Godfrey keeps saying “Don’t believe what they say, let’s go racing!” :rolleyes:

I must admit, I don’t overly understand that part of the press release. If Somerset are concerned about running at a loss, then what difference does running a shortened or full campaign make? That doesn’t make any sense but backs up claims of growing unrest in recent weeks between different teams and promotions. I completely understand the impact of COVID on the Oak Tree Bar and Food outlets which obviously helps subsidise the speedway so not sure how or why a shortened or full campaign play a part in that?

A sad day. I think one of the most disappointing things is there has been next to no communication to Somerset fans for months about plans and genuine news like other teams in the country have managed, bar some promises and “facts” posted on here... then on the day of the AGM they are dealt a sucker punch that their team is pulling out regardless of the reasons given. With concerns about running at a loss, it makes you wonder if we’ve now seen the last ever laps of speedway at the Oak Tree Arena. Over 2 years without racing will be incredibly hard to come back from.

• Like 3