British Speedway Forum

Somerset 2020

4 hours ago, RebelDan said:

Good luck to the lad I hope he gets his Visa sorted. 

When he was first announced this morning there was nowt about a visa, now it's a problem... Hope it's not a last minute problem which means he can't come over :( What's the difference between him and lets say Josh MacDonald?

1 minute ago, teaboy279 said:

To be fair why are we tracking raw aussie kids, when we have many many young brits set to be without a ride depending on size and format of the NL. 

Zach Cook, Kennedy or MacDonald on a 4 or Hume and Kinsley on 3-ish?

Hume should certainly be taken under someone’s wing.

13 minutes ago, DC2 said:

Zach Cook, Kennedy or MacDonald on a 4 or Hume and Kinsley on 3-ish?

Hume should certainly be taken under someone’s wing.

17 minutes ago, teaboy279 said:

To be fair why are we tracking raw aussie kids, when we have many many young brits set to be without a ride depending on size and format of the NL. 

Partly because you gain an asset and they have far greater potential. 

Cook could be brady kurtz join and average 7 by the end of the season while Hume or Kingsley arent going to do that. 

Also certain promoters are fed up with British riders quitting halfway through seasons. (WHich if its a business i fully understand). 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, poolebolton said:

Partly because you gain an asset and they have far greater potential. 

Cook could be brady kurtz join and average 7 by the end of the season while Hume or Kingsley arent going to do that. 

Also certain promoters are fed up with British riders quitting halfway through seasons. (WHich if its a business i fully understand). 

He’s done nothing in Australia to suggest he’s a 7 pointer.

Even Sedgmen regularly beats all of the emerging Aussies and he’s only a 5.2 point CL rider.

To be fair, he’s just finished fourth today in the NSW Championship behind Holder, Holder and Pickering, so fair enough.

Edited by DC2

23 minutes ago, DC2 said:

He’s done nothing in Australia to suggest he’s a 7 pointer.

Even Sedgmen regularly beats all of the emerging Aussies and he’s only a 5.2 point CL rider.

It’s potential though. I’m not saying he is going to be a 7 pointer. But Hume etc have reached the peak. Cook is 19 and probs needs 3/5 years to reach the peak. 

I'm looking forward to seeing how Zach gets on. I didn't see the NL level meeting he rode at the OTA last season (which he did well in I'm told despite only just getting off the plane from Oz!) but he looked stylish when he had few after meeting spins at the OTA in 2019. Yes I know that is different to racing but as has already been mentioned he fared well in Oz earlier today and I seem to recall a top 4 in a State Championship used to qualify them for a visa??

This 'young Aussie' has been a tried and tested method for the Rebels in last ten or so years. Gazza and Debbie haven't done too badly so far with their selections over the years of bringing in new Aussies, Sam Masters, Justin Sedgmen, Brady Kurtz & Jake Allen all spring to mind! No reason why Zach shouldn't follow that positive trend at Somerset.

Reckon I could guess who might be the trusted spanner man for young Zach as well. He has worked for a few of the aforementioned Aussie riders before with plenty of success!;)

• Like 1

8 hours ago, poolebolton said:

It’s potential though. I’m not saying he is going to be a 7 pointer. But Hume etc have reached the peak. Cook is 19 and probs needs 3/5 years to reach the peak. 

Hume has just finished his first serious injury free season of his career, so no where near his potential.

14 minutes ago, teaboy279 said:

Hume has just finished his first serious injury free season of his career, so no where near his potential.

Being honest I don’t know that much about Hume. I think it’s more the fact you get an asset from abroad and can potentially see them develop. 

I also think everyone is after the Next Darcy Ward. Which is crazy Because that’s a 1 in 20 year talent. 

6 hours ago, poolebolton said:

Being honest I don’t know that much about Hume. I think it’s more the fact you get an asset from abroad and can potentially see them develop. 

I also think everyone is after the Next Darcy Ward. Which is crazy Because that’s a 1 in 20 year talent. 

I think the other thing is the Aussies don’t have a league to ride in back home like the poles, brits, Danes, swedes and even the Germans have. I think they realise they have to make it otherwise that’s it no job as a speedway rider whereas the young brits seem to just rely on the NL

• Like 2

6 hours ago, poolebolton said:

I dont mean this disrespectfully but I had got the impression you was a bit of a stranger to the lower leagues and youth riders. Trust me there is plenty of talent better then the aussie imports, if only promoters werent constantly trying to sign foreign assets for free.

9 hours ago, teaboy279 said:

Watched Danyon in nearly all his meetings and has defo cut out the desperate lunges and mad moments to pass witch has cost him injuries in previous years and now uses him head more to pass he has had adam roynon in the pits working with him and he is a totally different rider now he will get even better . I think the likes of him and connor mountain both deserve a place next year 

• Like 6

On 12/4/2019 at 12:00 PM, Najjer said:

This “use it or lose it” saying that I keep reading on here and other speedway circles is a very dangerous game. How about making it more appealing for fans to attend instead of threatening closure if you don’t? 

USE IT OR LOSE IT.

I'm not management, but have been involved in speedway for 55 years & yes I do think we all need to be more positive toward our chosen sport. But without crowds that balance the books the facts is our sport can not survive, as we know it. 

The sport needs an independent group that can think outside the box & be able to implement their ideals. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, CountyGround said:

USE IT OR LOSE IT.

I'm not management, but have been involved in speedway for 55 years & yes I do think we all need to be more positive toward our chosen sport. But without crowds that balance the books the facts is our sport can not survive, as we know it. 

The sport needs an independent group that can think outside the box & be able to implement their ideals. 

Lose what - I’m now in the ever growing group that has already lost it. I loved speedway and still enjoy it but stopped attending when we dropped down a league and I felt I was no longer getting value for money.

I’m one of many - forget use it or lose it, what has been done to entice me back and spend £20 every week at speedway and not somewhere else?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

25 minutes ago, Najjer said:

Lose what - I’m now in the ever growing group that has already lost it. I loved speedway and still enjoy it but stopped attending when we dropped down a league and I felt I was no longer getting value for money.

I’m one of many - forget use it or lose it, what has been done to entice me back and spend £20 every week at speedway and not somewhere else?

If you REALLY loved speedway, you’d still be going. Don’t think you can be a true fan of the sport in my opinion. 

• Like 2