British Speedway Forum

Premiership Playoff Final 1st Leg - Ipswich v Swindon - 15/10

1 hour ago, DC2 said:

Have I missed something about Perks?  

Yes, he’s gutsy but he’s not much of a points scorer. Average 3.57.

I was thinking the same. 30 years ago youngsters like Loram, Screen, Dugard etc were scoring double figures and beating world class riders. Whereas Perks is nicking the odd point or 2 and people are going overboard with the praise.

Fair play the guy's a battler but keep things in perspective.

I guess it's a sign of how much British talent has fallen down the years.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Terry said:

I was thinking the same. 30 years ago youngsters like Loram, Screen, Dugard etc were scoring double figures and beating world class riders. Whereas Perks is nicking the odd point or 2 and people are going overboard with the praise.

Thought Perks likes to think of himself as an Aussie.

1 hour ago, Gavan said:

No its not ridiculous its just great team building

Rosco is the best there is at making team changes he has proved that over the years

Love some Poole morons going on about Ipswich being an embarrassment...................the team that knocked their own side out..........

Ipswich beaten by the best team no complaints 

At least this year is a proper final unlike last year

Gavan, you said 'morons' which is plural, more than one person, right? So apart from Steve what other Poole fan has said Ipswich are an embarrassment? 

12 minutes ago, Terry said:

It's because Perks came into a position which was, basically, scoring nothing in every match. Swindon had a strong top 5, but the criticism was that their reserves couldn't beat and egg, and we were narrowly losing matches regualarly because our reserves couldn't beat anyone. Perks and Vissing came in and were scoring well against the other reserves, with Perks being a great crowd pleaser with is never say die effort.

Nobody is saying he is the next Loram or Screen.

Adam Ellis, however, just might be...?

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Terry said:

I dont think its missing something about Perks....its the level he is.....a 3-4 pointer in the top league.

Where the praise is coming from is that he is a battler and at times comes out and beats some of the top boys and gives 110%

It would be similar to Sarjeant going out and beating the likes of Jensen or Ellis but he didnt do that

Perks is what he is and nobody is saying he is the next Loram or Screen.he isnt even the next Bewley or Lambert

But last night he battled and rode well and did better than he should have 

He wasnt signed to get 7 or 8 points but if he can away and score 5 or 6 then job done

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Grachan said:

It's because Perks came into a position which was, basically, scoring nothing in every match. Swindon had a strong top 5, but the criticism was that their reserves couldn't beat and egg, and we were narrowly losing matches regualarly because our reserves couldn't beat anyone. Perks and Vissing came in and were scoring well against the other reserves, with Perks being a great crowd pleaser with is never say die effort.

100% correct

Im an Ipswich fan and cant believe people think others are going overboard on Perks..................came in to do a job and probably has surpassed expectations........nobody expects him to ride in the 1-5 and do what even Ellis is doing...............but he has helped turn Swindons season round no question

• Like 2

Working last night so had the luxury of being able to fast forward through all the chatter and BS, not a good meeting for the Witches, reminded me of Lakeside whenever the TV was there, all of a sudden the outside run would disappear and bang, home advantage taken a hit.

Swindon are the better team though, regardless of the league table, they are imo the strongest team in the league by far, excellence balance of squad.

I wont bother watching the second leg, its all over as meaningful contest now, Swindon will enjoy it and rightfully so but it wont be one for the neutrals.

51 minutes ago, mj82 said:

What makes you think Poole would push Swindon harder than Ipswich. You couldnt even beat Ipswich in the semi. Some Poole fans clearly have there heads stuck in the first bend ruts. 

It's my opinion we would have taken a lead to Swindon. Last home meeting against them we won by 10 and Jensen struggled. Only rain would have changed that. I could be way off, the joys of having an opinion which can't be proven! :)

2 minutes ago, lisa-colette said:

It's my opinion we would have taken a lead to Swindon. Last home meeting against them we won by 10 and Jensen struggled. Only rain would have changed that. I could be way off, the joys of having an opinion which can't be proven! :)

Unless im missing something then the last home meeting you won 46-44 against Swindon............you had r/r for Worrall and Covatti with 6 rides at reserve and they had Newman guesting

You did win by 12 earlier in the season at home when Swindon had Lampart getting 0 and Zach having 6 rides for 1 point

3 minutes ago, Gavan said:

Unless im missing something then the last home meeting you won 46-44 against Swindon............you had r/r for Worrall and Covatti with 6 rides at reserve and they had Newman guesting

You did win by 12 earlier in the season at home when Swindon had Lampart getting 0 and Zach having 6 rides for 1 point

Ah yeah, 10 up after H13!! That ten point lead stuck in my mind for some reason. Lol.

With them being able to use a tactical too. So I still have we would have taken something to Swindon. 

Edited by lisa-colette

3 minutes ago, Baldyman said:

Doesn't matter a toss, your team bummed out at the semi final stage,,, so ain't taking Jack schnitzel anywhere. Suck it up buttercup 

I fine with it. :) People are questioning my opinion and I am just answering them. Cos I am nice like that. I haven't said Ipswich don't deserve to be in the final or slated them in any way. I just feel hypothetically, we would have done better. But as I said I could be way off. Will never know though! 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Grachan said:

Adam Ellis was outstanding last night.  He has really stepped up this year and I'm sure his partnership with Doyle has helped in that.  Long may he continue to improve :t:

• Like 5

1 hour ago, ruckerroo said:

Swindon strengthened the side beautifully this yr, Jensen the real star for me as nobody could have anticipated his form over the piece.

Shocking attitude by some of the pirate supporters on this thread too, no great surprise there.

I agree about the pirate supporters. Ipswich gave their all but fell short against a very good Swindon team. 
just to reach the final is a massive achievement and that alone is worth celebrating. 
swindon fully deserved to win and no doubt will take the title. 
im sure fans of lakeside stoke Coventry Buxton and cradley would love to still see their teams in action so for me I’m thankful we still have a team and one that’s done us proud. 

Just now, Steve0 said:

Adam Ellis was outstanding last night.  He has really stepped up this year and I'm sure his partnership with Doyle has helped in that.  Long may he continue to improve :t:

Think the big difference in Adam this year has been his ability to pass. Seen lots of examples of it and even last night when he went down and was excluded it was because he was racing. He has also started to sit still at the tapes!!!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, g13webb said:

It was most unfortunate that Swindon were in the finals.   Any of the other six teams would have produced  a far better competition for the league's finale of the season.   Ipswich's semi-final against Poole would have made a fitting climate.     But it is not good viewing when one team is head and shoulders above the rest.   I'm not knocking Swindon, but they are  far too strong for this league and questions need to be asked about the way teams are assembled..

As hard as T & P tried to make the 2nd leg interesting, we all know it will be a foregone conclusion.....         I have no problems Swindon being champions,  but feel Ipswich don't deserve having their noses rubs  in the process....           

Everyone has the same team average to work to.

3 minutes ago, Racin Jason 72 said:

I agree about the pirate supporters. Ipswich gave their all but fell short against a very good Swindon team. 
just to reach the final is a massive achievement and that alone is worth celebrating. 
swindon fully deserved to win and no doubt will take the title. 
im sure fans of lakeside stoke Coventry Buxton and cradley would love to still see their teams in action so for me I’m thankful we still have a team and one that’s done us proud. 

Sorry but this Poole fan would like to comment!!

I congratulated the Ipswich team for beating Poole as all of their 1-7 turned up and did their jobs whereas Poole's didn't. Simple as.

BUT for Ippo fans to say their team 'gave their all' against Swindon is surely stretching reality a little far?! You were let down by King and NKI - neither reaching double figures - just like Poole's 1 and 5 in the semi. Also having a non-scoring reserve didn't help your cause - but thats as much down to management decisions as anything else.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, lisa-colette said:

Everyone can have an opinion. What's happened before tho means nothing as proven when you won twice at Ipswich then lost in the semi by let's face it a massive mulluring. Ipswich beat Swindon the other week at home but lost last nigh at home against them. Its on the night and past wins or defeats count for nothing. 

3 minutes ago, Skidder1 said:

Sorry but this Poole fan would like to comment!!

I congratulated the Ipswich team for beating Poole as all of their 1-7 turned up and did their jobs whereas Poole's didn't. Simple as.

BUT for Ippo fans to say their team 'gave their all' against Swindon is surely stretching reality a little far?! You were let down by King and NKI - neither reaching double figures - just like Poole's 1 and 5 in the semi. Also having a non-scoring reserve didn't help your cause - but thats as much down to management decisions as anything else.

Absolutely. You are also forgetting Harris who was simply useless. 
In the second semi at Ipswich Holder and Kurtz were woeful, put off by a deep track and not even attempting to disguise their thoughts of conditions. We were rightly beaten.