British Speedway Forum

Wolverhampton 2020

R87

2 hours ago, Daniel Smith said:

Is one bad year to get Douglas, Becker, Nicol, Morris to further adapt their skills home and away. 

It could be that the management are looking short term pain, long term gain.

Trying to build a spin in the team for the next 5 years or so is no bad tactic. 

If the Americans live up to their obvious potential they could (and I think will) be the next Hamill & Hancock. 

I believe the management won't give up on 2020 but I'd certainly allow to give them a bit of a break and look to 2021 and beyond.

One thing the Wolverhampton management are good at and that's longevity of rider's and seeing beyond the current season with building teams.

Poole were a force with their future relient on Ward & Holder. 

Swindon are a force when they have Doyle & Batchelor in the same team generally regardless of who else is in the team. 

I think Wolves are pinning their hopes on very similar coming to fruition, there's no shame in that. 

Enjoy watching "The American Assassin's" at work. 

There is no scenario in where starting 2 points under the building limit can be justified.

Wolves are fortunate that 3 teams will likely be worse.

It's still remarkable though that they have built this way. Not something I'll ever understand

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DC2 said:

In what year will Becker and Nicol be at the level of Holder & Ward or Doyle & Batchelor?

2024?

Poole struggled to keep Holder & Ward together, or even one of them, and Batchelor, a non-asset, has been in the Swindon team more often than Doyle, who has had only two seasons at the top of his game for Swindon.

Morris was the big asset that Swindon invested in and showed loyalty to and look where he is now.

”Investing” in Nicol now means nothing for the future.

And indeed have Wolves actually invested in him and bought him from Sheffield or are they just bringing him on for Sheffield to benefit in 2021?

Someone mentioned on here a couple of months ago that Wolves had signed him as an asset, can't remember who or in which topic though.

32 minutes ago, acef said:

There is no scenario in where starting 2 points under the building limit can be justified.

Wolves are fortunate that 3 teams will likely be worse.

It's still remarkable though that they have built this way. Not something I'll ever understand

I would imagine the decision to bring in Broc was taken months ago due to the success of Luke. Wanting to also keep Luke and Ryan, coupled with the failure to attract Freddie or Hancock, led to this situation I guess.

1 hour ago, Call me wolfie said:

Someone mentioned on here a couple of months ago that Wolves had signed him as an asset, can't remember who or in which topic though.

Was said on a two year contract.             But can't remember the poster.

On 12/13/2019 at 4:19 PM, DC2 said:

In what year will Becker and Nicol be at the level of Holder & Ward or Doyle & Batchelor?

2024?

Poole struggled to keep Holder & Ward together, or even one of them, and Batchelor, a non-asset, has been in the Swindon team more often than Doyle, who has had only two seasons at the top of his game for Swindon.

Morris was the big asset that Swindon invested in and showed loyalty to and look where he is now.

”Investing” in Nicol now means nothing for the future.

And indeed have Wolves actually invested in him and bought him from Sheffield or are they just bringing him on for Sheffield to benefit in 2021?

But your theory is to give the likes of Andersen,Harris,Wells,Proctor,( etc) all riders on the slide places mainly because of there low averages.Wolverhampton to me are doing the correct thing here three riders who can improve and are likely to feature in the Premiership for a long while ( Becker might not Europe?) why not try to build for the future.?

2 hours ago, Sidney the robin said:

But your theory is to give the likes of Andersen,Harris,Wells,Proctor,( etc) all riders on the slide places mainly because of there low averages.Wolverhampton to me are doing the correct thing here three riders who can improve and are likely to feature in the Premiership for a long while ( Becker might not Europe?) why not try to build for the future.?

So you think riders on the way down have no place in a PL winning side?

Riders like Eriksen, Zorro, Skornicki, Watt, Stead, Peter Karlsson and Harris, all picked up on false averages due to previous poor seasons and yet being instrumental in winning a title.

Hans Andersen or Scott Nicholls would have been miles better for Wolves’ title aspirations for 2020.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DC2 said:

Riders like Eriksen, Zorro, Skornicki, Watt, Stead, Peter Karlsson and Harris, all picked up on false averages due to previous poor seasons and yet being instrumental in winning a title.

Hans Andersen or Scott Nicholls would have been miles better for Wolves’ title aspirations for 2020.

More so given they would be 2nd strings.

4 hours ago, Sidney the robin said:

Wolves could have used those extra 2 points on Andersen and Scott. 

I can guarantee Hans would up that current average of his at Monmore. Easily. I'd argue Scott would as well.

Thorsell

Andersen

Schlein

Nicholls

Masters 

Morris

That's 6 riders they could have picked to build a decent 1 to 5 then gone with lower averaged reserve and still fit in Becker or Nicol.

2 hours ago, DC2 said:

This is what people don’t get about Lynn signing Proctor. Don’t get me wrong he could be a poor signing but just because he had a bad 2019 doesn’t mean he won’t be a good reserve this coming season. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, acef said:

Wolves could have used those extra 2 points on Andersen and Scott. 

I can guarantee Hans would up that current average of his at Monmore. Easily. I'd argue Scott would as well.

Thorsell

Andersen

Schlein

Nicholls

Masters 

Morris

That's 6 riders they could have picked to build a decent 1 to 5 then gone with lower averaged reserve and still fit in Becker or Nicol.

You say that Acef yet your club has gone for youth the way that I believe is the right way, to go,.That Wolves side you named with another  to. be named scares nobody.ok at home away forget it.

5 hours ago, DC2 said:

Yet you have to think farther ahead  than your nose planning ahead to the next season Is pivotal as well...To just say this side might have a chance don't worry about next year is irresponsible a balance is needed I hope Wolves put that side you suggested happy days old and limited.

32 minutes ago, Sidney the robin said:

You say that Acef yet your club has gone for youth the way that I believe is the right way, to go,.That Wolves side you named with another  to. be named scares nobody.ok at home away forget it.

Yes but BV have built to the points limit. That is the most critical difference and you are missing it.

Anyway, it's irrelevant. Wolves haven't deliberately built this way. It's not about youth. They took a chance on getting a number 1 and built around it in case. 

Now they haven't got one. Backfired. It happens.

2 hours ago, acef said:

Yes but BV have built to the points limit. That is the most critical difference and you are missing it.

Anyway, it's irrelevant. Wolves haven't deliberately built this way. It's not about youth. They took a chance on getting a number 1 and built around it in case. 

Always best to build from the top, miss out on a 4.00 reserve it's easy to find a 3.00 replacement, but miss out on a 9.00 number one & it's not easy to find a suitable alternative!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sidney the robin said:

Yet you have to think farther ahead  than your nose planning ahead to the next season Is pivotal as well...To just say this side might have a chance don't worry about next year is irresponsible a balance is needed I hope Wolves put that side you suggested happy days old and limited.

Hmmmm ... is that why Swindon didn’t win the league for 45 years?  :)

3 hours ago, acef said:

Depends who you believe. PA said the reason behind the points limit was because they were unsure if Nicol would be a 4 or 6 (not sure what the uncertainty has been around the average as I’ve seen others suggest it would be reassessed to 5/ use his CL converted average/ be a 4/ and now possibly a 6).

Im not convinced the team was built around getting a number one either. Although the evidence on the spare points would certainly point to that.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, stevebrum said:

Depends who you believe. PA said the reason behind the points limit was because they were unsure if Nicol would be a 4 or 6 (not sure what the uncertainty has been around the average as I’ve seen others suggest it would be reassessed to 5/ use his CL converted average/ be a 4/ and now possibly a 6).

Im not convinced the team was built around getting a number one either. Although the evidence on the spare points would certainly point to that.

It's an odd commitment to make Steve if you were unsure of the average.

I mean that's the type of situation that causes exactly the situation you are currently in.

I'd have been seeking some very clear clarification before committing to the American

Edited by acef

17 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

What happened to “TNT” on here? Was a prolific poster but haven’t seen him on here for a while..

Don’t think he bothers here anymore. He is prolific on the Wolves Facebook sites. 

11 minutes ago, acef said:

It's an odd commitment to make Steve if you were unsure of the average.

I mean that's the type of situation that causes exactly the situation you are currently in.

I'd have been seeking some very clear clarification before committing to the American

Must admit I’m surprised at the comment. I just think they were planning to use Nicol whatever happened which to me seems odd planning. 

Huge pressure on Broc or the other 6 which is unfair either way. 

Unless the management know something we don’t know it all seems very odd planning. Unless of course there is still a surprise to come at number one although given the comments made it seems both Sam and Jacob will be included.

My own personal thoughts however is that they still have fully committed to both of them because you can sure one of them will be at Ippo/Lynn/Peterborough and they too are holding back announcements. Could be a coincidence of course. :wink: