British Speedway Forum

Grand Prix changes

4 minutes ago, racers and royals said:

That is a very good question which until you had mentioned it, i hadn`t given it a thought. It`s going to be a decision on what`s best for the bookie and worst for the punter :)

You could quite easily use the 2019 format for calculating the scores. There will be a KanDysoft version that will help you! :)

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Gambo said:

You could quite easily use the 2019 format for calculating the scores. There will be a KanDysoft version that will help you! :)

The "other " bookies only have ever  bet on 20 heats on their score markets, which i might have to change to as well. if i did it would be disappointing because the semi`s and final are the business end part of the meeting.

Using the 2020 format in the 2019 series sees Leon Madsen as World Champion with 154 points (130 2019) and Zmarzlik in 2nd place with 147 (132 2019).

Madsen would have had a 1 point lead prior to Torun.

Zmarzlik would have had to finish ahead of Madsen in the Final, to win by 1 point.

No other changes in positions down to 18th place in the final standings.

Janowski, Doyle and Dudek miss out on automatic qualification.

Edited by Gambo
Spelling & addtional stats.

It's probably something obvious I've missed but can someone explain the new fixed points scoring system?

Clearly the final is easy, 20-18-16-14, then I assume 3rd/4th in the semi get 12 and 11 respectively.

So who gets 10, 9 & 8? If everyone 9th-16th gets 8-7-6-5-4-3-2-1?

Or are the points handed out after the meeting has been completed? 

3 minutes ago, JCookie said:

It's probably something obvious I've missed but can someone explain the new fixed points scoring system?

Clearly the final is easy, 20-18-16-14, then I assume 3rd/4th in the semi get 12 and 11 respectively.

So who gets 10, 9 & 8? If everyone 9th-16th gets 8-7-6-5-4-3-2-1?

Or are the points handed out after the meeting has been completed? 

The two riders who finish 3rd in the Semi's are ranked according to their Qualifying points/countback, as are the two who finished 4th.

• Like 1

I don't mind the new scoring system. As said, it is in line with other motorsports. You don't get more points for winning an F1 GP by a minute rather than a fraction of a second.

As for only the top six qualifying and five wildcards, I like this a lot as it gives the organisers much more flexibility. Hopefully they use this to inject some fresh faces, rather than simply promote the seventh and eighth placed riders though. Personally, I don't think any GP rider who finishes outside the top eight/six should get a wildcard unless they've missed meeting through injury.

The less wildcards the better for me, much better to get as many things sorted out on track rather than by committee and opinion. I`m not saying remove all wildcards but five is probably two to many.

As for the scoring system as others have said if its not broke why fix it, one of the beauties about SGP is that every race counted towards you total at the end of the night now it doesn't which makes no sense at all to me.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DutchGrasstrack said:

Confirmed rule changes:

Points per GP: 20, 18, 16, 14, 12, 11, 10, 9, 8 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1, 0

GP 2021:

- Top 6 GP 2020
- Top 3 GP challenge
- European champion
- 5 wildcards

What a load of rubbish.

Complete throwback to the way they used to award points, which was abandoned for a reason. EVERY point should count.

Edited by lucifer sam
  • Like 5

9 minutes ago, MattK said:

I don't mind the new scoring system. As said, it is in line with other motorsports. You don't get more points for winning an F1 GP by a minute rather than a fraction of a second.

As for only the top six qualifying and five wildcards, I like this a lot as it gives the organisers much more flexibility. Hopefully they use this to inject some fresh faces, rather than simply promote the seventh and eighth placed riders though. Personally, I don't think any GP rider who finishes outside the top eight/six should get a wildcard unless they've missed meeting through injury.

F1 has about twenty races a season where points are awarded.

SGP has 10? meetings a season when you can do up to 70 races and/or wins. Its totally different.

What a load of zh1t to mess with the scoring. 

• Like 5

What a joke!!!

In 2019 you could qualify for the Final with 18pts plus 3 pts for the win (ie Madsen in Torun) & someone could finish 2nd in the final having scrapped into the S/f with 7 pts then a 2nd in s/f & 2nd in the final giving them 11 pts. Yet in 2020 first gets 20 pts 2nd gets 18 pts. What a joke!!!

And 5 wildcards. All about money!!!  Thats probably why my Cz GP ticket for Prague was 10% more & now nearly £49!!!

They couldn`t get 4 wildcards right this year with Lindback selected (LOL).

They should be concentrating on getting the SGP venues sorted rather than wasting time messing about with the pts!!! Still only 6 venues announced. What a bunch of ....... we have at the head of this sport I love!!!!

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, screm said:

As for the scoring system as others have said if its not broke why fix it, one of the beauties about SGP is that every race counted towards you total at the end of the night now it doesn't which makes no sense at all to me.

Who says it isn't broken though? Maybe the organisers have looked at some of the lacklustre attendances and figure this is one way things can be freshened up a bit?

• Haha 1