British Speedway Forum

Birmingham Brummies 2020

2 hours ago, zlata prilba said:

Brum could have a problem with the German given the covid state of Germany at the moment on wether he would be able to leave Germany 

You rightly quote a real world situation....but speedway lives in a parallel universe where promoters can't see beyond their own stadium's car park, let alone what's going on in foreign countries :rolleyes:  So does any of this actually surprise you? :(

• Like 5

BIRMINGHAM have pulled off the stunning signing of German ace Erik Riss.

Riss, the current Championship individual title holder, has had a change of mind after originally quitting British Speedway in January.

But with the new season due to start in this country on May 17 he’s decided to head back to the UK in a dramatic change of plan.

He’s only appeared at Perry Barr once before with former club Redcar and went through the card unbeaten by a Brummies rider.

And he’s hoping to hear plenty of noise from the passionate Birmingham fans.

He said: “Having passionate fans is always a good thing because if you can hear the crowd when you’re on the track then that is always a good sign as it’s something I like when I’m racing.

“I’m the kind of rider who always wants to win so coming to Birmingham I just want to play my part and win races.

“It’s always the same whoever I ride for so if the boys in the team have the same attitude then we can win silverware that’s for sure.”

He’s also relishing the prospect of facing legendary three-time World Champion Jason Crump when the Australian lines up for Plymouth Gladiators for the first time.

“Coming up against Jason Crump this year is going to be pretty cool because he is a legend as a multiple World Champion,” he said.

“It's going to be fun coming up against him because I have never had the chance to ride against him before as I only started riding in the UK in 2015.

“Overall, though, I think the league looks quite strong but I think the Championship and Premiership are now on a similar level because riders have had to leave the UK with new rules in Poland.”

When Riss decided to return to the UK Birmingham made their move quickly because of the attention from other Championship clubs.

He won the Championship individual title at Sheffield in 2019 when he got the better of former Brummies man Danny King, Ryan Douglas and Sam Masters in the final.

Riss also has experience on the international stage with Germany and is also twice World Longtrack Champion.

He completes the Birmingham team for the new season alongside Chris Harris, Ashley Morris, Paco Castagna, Jack Thomas, James Shanes and Valentin Grobauer.

• Like 1

WHERE are all the nutters who were knocking the Birmingham management saying its about money that's why they have signed any one . Well in Eric Riss they have one solid team member where's UK Martin know? Mind you he will be thinking some crap up to knock them and british speedway.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

45 minutes ago, Trackerman48 said:

WHERE are all the nutters who were knocking the Birmingham management saying its about money that's why they have signed any one . Well in Eric Riss they have one solid team member where's UK Martin know? Mind you he will be thinking some crap up to knock them and british speedway.  

I think that UK Martin might be a bit more happier as I believe that he is half German on his Mother's side.

Excellent choice and credit to Peter, David and Laurence for patience

Potent spearhead with Bomber, whoever is at reserve with Jack ensures very strong No 6.

If Ashley and James can get back to form just before injury we can be very strong.

Fancy our chances in League and Cup now.

Well done all at PB  

1 hour ago, Trackerman48 said:

I think they got lucky. Due to the rocketing covid rates in Germany, vaccine hesitancy in Poland, the EU's multiple cock ups and the NHS success in running the UK vaccination programme being based in the UK suddenly looks more attractive.

• Like 3