British Speedway Forum

Birmingham Brummies 2020

On 12/11/2019 at 6:44 AM, uk_martin said:

Wow, how 1970's is that?  No PayPal, no Apple Pay, No Google Pay, no credit cards, no chip'n'pin, no bank transfers. 

I wonder if the season tickets will be properly laminated or just given a coating of "sticky backed plastic" in true Valerie Singleton/John Noakes/Peter Purvis, Blue Peter style?

No wonder young fans aren't attracted when speedway continues to pander to a bygone age.

Season tickets are sold to help pay some bills over winter. To get people buying them they have to be a decent incentive, if you offer any of the futuristic solutions they cost you even more on top of the savings you offer.

On 12/11/2019 at 7:54 PM, The Dog said:

At least we now know why young fans aren't attracted to speedway. Because they can't pay by Google Pay. Problem solved right there.

Well, yes, in a roundabout way it's a step towards solving the problem. Look at supermarkets now, it's all set up so you can get in and out as quickly as possible, self service, paying via phone etc. Young people are not interested in spending unnecessary time going somewhere or doing something when that thing could be made 10x easier with technology.

Kids these days can't even be bothered to vote in a general election, so they're not going to turn up to see Main Man with cash and a stamped address envelope are they?

All tracks should, as a minimum, take care payment nowadays. It's one of the few quick wins and is a step towards getting young people back involved.

On 12/11/2019 at 8:54 PM, The Dog said:

At least we now know why young fans aren't attracted to speedway. Because they can't pay by Google Pay. Problem solved right there.

Joke about it by all means...that really will solve the problem.

Funny that at an event I went to in the Summer, even hotdog vans were accepting "tap & go" payments. So a hotdog seller can afford the costs of business in the 21st Century, but a Speedway club can't???

Great.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, uk_martin said:

Funny that at an event I went to in the Summer, even hotdog vans were accepting "tap & go" payments. So a hotdog seller can afford the costs of business in the 21st Century, but a Speedway club can't???

Great.

Very few young people use cash these days, you have a very good point.Even I am being converted which I never though would happen.:rolleyes:

4 hours ago, uk_martin said:

Great.

NYC's Bryant park Christmas market is just market stalls but is cash less, card only.

39 minutes ago, czechhero said:

Anyone else feel that the imminent roadworks and general buggering about in Perry Barr will have a negative effect on the speedway club? Be a shame if it does. 

Perry Barr in general has a negative effect on numbers attending speedway! (it's a sh#t hole!) :rofl:

Joking aside, there seems to be a lot of local opposition to the planned roadworks (flyover demolition)

10 hours ago, czechhero said:

Anyone else feel that the imminent roadworks and general buggering about in Perry Barr will have a negative effect on the speedway club? Be a shame if it does. 

Well, of course it will. Despite being told by Transport for West Midlands on more than one occasion that the Sprint Bus Rapid Route will be implemented whether or not the the flyover is there, it's going. 

And this is being brought to you by a local authority whose educational and child care services have deemed substandard for over a decade. Why, they can't even provide an efficient refuse collection service and haven't done for over two years. And then there was that interview on local telly last night with that council no-mark who stated that all they have to do now is find a contractor to do the work. Really? All that was sorted ages ago. As an authority, they are collectively unfit to run a bath without supervision.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Bad times for motorsport on the midlands with Birmingham Wheels being shut down on 31st January. The council set up charity owe, the  council 600k, after the council imposed retrospective rent increases on it's own charity!!!! All the various motorsports and experience days are all paid up to date on thier rent etc and are all going to be homeless. There is some stipulation that if the businesses were viable (which they all are), then the council are obliged to find them an alternative site.

In the unlikely event that this ever happened, I wonder if getting the speedway included into the new complex would be better logistically for the Brummies. As I say I am pretty sure I ve got more chance of a Nigerian prince phoning me about a lottery win then a new venue being found. But hey pipe dreams do happen some times.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, teaboy279 said:

Bad times for motorsport on the midlands with Birmingham Wheels being shut down on 31st January. The council set up charity owe, the  council 600k, after the council imposed retrospective rent increases on it's own charity!!!! All the various motorsports and experience days are all paid up to date on thier rent etc and are all going to be homeless. There is some stipulation that if the businesses were viable (which they all are), then the council are obliged to find them an alternative site.

In the unlikely event that this ever happened, I wonder if getting the speedway included into the new complex would be better logistically for the Brummies. As I say I am pretty sure I ve got more chance of a Nigerian prince phoning me about a lottery win then a new venue being found. But hey pipe dreams do happen some times.

Sadly Birmingham is run by an elected mayor called Andy Street who must rank as the worst politician of any Party in the UK and a City Council who are completely useless. Between them they could not shell a pea.

The Commonwealth Games - Village and various sites, may in the long term be to the benefit of Brummies in their current location but certainly for 2020 / 2021 / 2022 season won't do us any favours.

As for Wheels, it's in an awful location and was never really developed along lines intended. It is a shame that the council have screwed over the stock car, kart and other promotions/businesses working there as they all did good jobs.