British Speedway Forum

King's Lynn Stars 2020

2 hours ago, Daniel Smith said:

Problem wasn't the reserves in 2019. We had an uncompetitive top 5.

1. Cook 7.61

2. Lambert 7.12

3. Riss 5.40

4. Toft 5.78

5. Kerr 4.00

6. Jørgensen 3.78

33.69 away last season from this 6, so we'd of needed a 10 pointer to have won away. 

Some fans asking for a similar team next year. Do people honestly think this 6 can add 10 points to their averages overall. 

Deluded if they think it's possible, especially against 4 meetings away at Sheffield and Swindon. 

It's absolutely imperative that your No1 & No5 are solid as is the No3 & No4. 

Riders at No2, No6 & No7 should be the loose cannons, hit and miss guys, 5 average or less, just there to pick up the scraps. 

The rider's in the top 5 of the team you have to believe can score you at least 7 away between them with 1 or 2 of them scoring double points.

There's absolutely no point in reserves having a 5-6 average if riders in the top 5 are flopping. 

How many times have a reserve banged in massive scores and the team still hasn't gained a point away? More often than winning that's for sure. 

IRR to is another reason a big top 5 is required. 

An ideal winning team would be:

1. 9.00 ave

2. 4.50

3. 8.00

4. 6.50

5. 8.00

6. 3.00

7. 3.00

Every team manager should look at their team like "could our top 5 pull back an 8 point deficit after heat 8 away"?

I'd always build a team where I'd expect 5-1's against in heats 2 & 8.

The aim for the other heats of the meeting is to pick up less last places than opposition up to heat 13. From heat 13 you'd look for the killer instinct to kick in from your big guns, at least taking a point every away meeting. 

When I see a team that's "strength in depth", straight away, even at home, you put yourself on the back foot and more often than not are chasing meetings throughout. When the chips are down, you don't ever have enough to come back or you're hanging on for dear life to maintain a lead. 

I think it's imperative that at the start of the season, teams only use 7 points maximum on reserves. 

Very well thought out post. Hopefully Robert will return, but if he doesn't then I can't see any great improvement in this seasons crop of riders if that's the way the management are going to play it. My gut feeling says we should have a complete clear out, and start again, but that's easier said than done, so I guess we just wait (not too long I hope) and see what they come up with? I'm hoping they can construct a team that really excites me, not just the same old faces again.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Bunce said:

Very well thought out post. Hopefully Robert will return, but if he doesn't then I can't see any great improvement in this seasons crop of riders if that's the way the management are going to play it. My gut feeling says we should have a complete clear out, and start again, but that's easier said than done, so I guess we just wait (not too long I hope) and see what they come up with? I'm hoping they can construct a team that really excites me, not just the same old faces again.

So you don't want continuity then, thought that was what the fans wanted .......

22 minutes ago, Trees said:

So you don't want continuity then, thought that was what the fans wanted .......

What fans want is continuity of an entertaining, winning team. Not continuity from a team that's already a bag of s#!+. 

At the end of the day, Buster isn't interested in winning the league. As long as the crowds turn up and the rider wages are low he's on a winner. 

You will know his thinking by the team this year. 

If Jørgensen, Kerr, Porsing, MPT are in the team you know just making a profit is priority. 

In sport you can't do that to succeed. You need more ambition, speculate to accumulate. 

1 hour ago, Trees said:

If continuity means finishing 7th of eight teams again then nope! 

EDIT 6th of 7 teams of course!!!

Edited by Bagpuss

39 minutes ago, Daniel Smith said:

What fans want is continuity of an entertaining, winning team. Not continuity from a team that's already a bag of s#!+. 

At the end of the day, Buster isn't interested in winning the league. As long as the crowds turn up and the rider wages are low he's on a winner. 

You will know his thinking by the team this year. 

If Jørgensen, Kerr, Porsing, MPT are in the team you know just making a profit is priority. 

In sport you can't do that to succeed. You need more ambition, speculate to accumulate. 

Do you think there was a profit made at Lynn this year? Or previous years for that matter? 

I think that there is a misconception from some that the Lynn promotion do this every year to follow a cycle, and don't want to win. In reality, there is nothing more they want than to succeed! 

So maybe get behind the promotion/team and actually support them, through good and bad.... Just a thought.

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, ScottCampos178 said:

Do you think there was a profit made at Lynn this year? Or previous years for that matter? 

I think that there is a misconception from some that the Lynn promotion do this every year to follow a cycle, and don't want to win. In reality, there is nothing more they want than to succeed! 

So maybe get behind the promotion/team and actually support them, through good and bad.... Just a thought.

Fans do support through thick & thin but they also have a right to an opinion, especially on the obvious. 

To have a winning formula you have to be ruthless. One thing for sure, when it comes rider's, King's Lynn are far far to nice. To much patience given to under performing rider's, only finding replacements when a rider gets injured. 

Last season, had it been Poole or Swindon, for a fact, they would have told Jorgensen, Kerr, Proctor etc to get lost far far quicker and replacements sort in double quick time. 

With 7 teams in the league, 24 matches, time isn't available for rider's 'to find form'. The fans need to see the management care. If a rider has 4-5 bad meetings they need to be gotten rid of and replaced. 

Getting whacked away from home by 25-30 point regularly isn't acceptable. We can see through the crap press releases with the usual "he'll get it right the next meeting" nonsense. 

If the fans believe and see rider's and management giving everything to win there's nothing to moan about. 

When you get 1-5'd and the manager is on track patting rider's on the back it gives the 'couldn't give a s#!+' attitude. Gives the crowd the wrong impression, like winning isnt important. 

It 100% is, it needs to be seen that this game matters to the club. 

Nicey nicey in sport does NOT work and again, it's what King's Lynn are, nicey nicey. It does get in rider's heads that a few bad meeting don't matter. They'll know that they'll be back the next meeting to 'try again' knowing the sack isn't around the corner. 

1 hour ago, ScottCampos178 said:

I have supported the Stars for over 50 years through the good and bad times. Sadly there have been a lot more bad times than good. All I want is a team that puts maximum effort into each meeting , and an ambitious promotion. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Bagpuss said:

With no GP’s or U21 competitions I’d be gobsmacked if Lambert didn’t ride in the UK in 2020. 

I agree mate, expect him to as well. Like Alex mentioned above, I’d expect a top 3 of Lambert, Cook and Riss.

i was just thinking out loud that we’d buggered if Lambert decided to miss the UK. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, mrss said:

Broc Nicol has signed for Wolves. That's another decent rider gone elsewhere . Lynn will end up with the crap no one else wants.

Whilst he seems a good prospect he only matched S.Lamberts average in the Championship last season.Having said that if it was a choice between those two i would rather Nicol.Think he should do ok at Wolves though.

Really surprised Nicol didn’t stay  at Sheffield to be honest, can imagine that Wolves’ track and teaming up with Luke Becker appealed to him. It’s a great pity he was cleaned up by Josh Bates last year before he was able to ride for us, if he’d ridden some meetings for us and built up a relationship with the promotion we might have been able to get him in for 2020. 

14 hours ago, ScottCampos178 said:

There’s been enough bad times to last a lifetime!!  The promotion is rubbish the track is rubbish and going by the riders being announced and what’s still available the team is probably going to be basically the same failure of a team we had last year! 

just a thought! Lol