British Speedway Forum

Eastbourne 2020

8 hours ago, Hackett said:

Currently I would work it around that no meeting should run longer than 90 minutes - if no crashes or stoppages.

This is meant to be the case already, it's just that it's roundly ignored.  Per the rulebook:

In normal circumstances the time from the finish of a heat to the start of the
next shall not exceed 4 minutes (including the 2 minute time allowance)

Anyone with an interest in taking on promoting EB speedway under the auspices of the BSPL in the future has a few obstacles to overcome 

New airfence ( allegedly £35k)

Agreeing a deal with the stadium owners - who will surely be apprehensive renting out to another speedway operation without some guarantee up front?

Raising funds to lodge a bond with BSPL. 

Recruiting a team of riders who will trust the new owners for their wages.

Setting out a business plan to just breakeven on that investment with a crowd of 600 will be a challenge.

The more likely scenario is the stadium is sold and used to fund the Dugard’s pension fund .(and frankly who would blame them)

For many years I always believed that Bob was the  sole speedway supporter in the family that kept the club running through thick and thin. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, old bob at herne bay said:

Anyone with an interest in taking on promoting EB speedway under the auspices of the BSPL in the future has a few obstacles to overcome 

Agreeing a deal with the stadium owners - who will surely be apprehensive renting out to another speedway operation without some guarantee up front?

Setting out a business plan to just breakeven on that investment with a crowd of 600 will be a challenge.

The more likely scenario is the stadium is sold and used to fund the Dugard’s pension fund .(and frankly who would blame them)

For many years I always believed that Bob was the  sole speedway supporter in the family that kept the club running through thick and thin. 

Ian Jordon been on Sussex Radio saying investors have come forward to him and Les Fineing and be looking to start new company for start next season. 

Obviously it won't be their company running it i presume. 

34 minutes ago, old bob at herne bay said:

Bob you are way of the mark with the price for a new air fence for a track the size of eastbourne it would be just under 20k. 

11 hours ago, Hackett said:

recall Len Silver being interviewed at Arlington earlier this year and stated that riders are no longer assets plus teams don't have the finances to purchase riders like they previously did. So if you are Eastbourne and Brennan is your asset , it is no longer possible to sell him to Belle Vue or Ipswich Witches for example. 

11 hours ago, TotallyHonestJohn said:

I think Eastie have protected their asset base but more may come out later on that one.. and how much do you think Brennan is worth... 10 20 30k and are you are assuming that the debts are less than these figures and who in the current environment could afford to buy him... and you are again assuming that the guys promoting the spot own the assets?

I still don't get the club asset system, Gordon Pairman kindly explained it on the Club Asstes thread a few weeks ago... but why are riders "assets" of clubs? Do they sell their soul to the devil by accepting a big bung to become a club asset? Back in the day some riders used to own their own contracts and even buy their contracts back from clubs. The riders are self employed, I assume they run limited companies and in effect do contract work. I am a contractor myself but I've never sold my career away to a single employer who then goes on to charge other companies for the use of my services. I just don't get it. Surely the only way you could be an "asset" is if you were on PAYE, like footballers... but I suspect that may be illegal if ever tested properly.

Edited by iainb
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Trackerman48 said:

Bob you are way of the mark with the price for a new air fence for a track the size of eastbourne it would be just under 20k. 

Probably been asked already... but why do Eastbourne need a new airfence?

Just now, Trackerman48 said:

The bags being out in all weather the material they are made from breaks down cracking ect. The same as lorry curtains.  

Oh, OK... they don't take them down and store them in a shed then?

2 minutes ago, iainb said:

Why? What happens to them?

The speedway regulations state, inter alia:

Must be inspected 6 years after installation, thereafter annually by the SCB
Track Inspectors , to certify that it remains fit for purpose.

In short, they deteriorate. Multiple repairs, strap stitching loosens, fabric weakens.

Nothing lasts for ever, and the APD is so fundamental to safety it has to be in serviceable condition.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Richard Weston said:

I think Eastbourne said £25,000--to have spare bags

Seems a bit excessive to have to buy a whole new fence in one go... why don't clubs buy a few panels a year to spread the cost or even lease them like companies do with other high cost assets?

19 minutes ago, Petecc said:

You would need a small army of volunteers and around 5/6 hours per bend. Most are only taken in at the end of the season.

Or £25k every 6 years? This is a ticking time bomb for many clubs then!

Edited by iainb

1 hour ago, Petecc said:

You would need a small army of volunteers and around 5/6 hours per bend. Most are only taken in at the end of the season.

I would say that a minority of fences stay up all season. Any track that shares with stock cars, greyhounds or other arena events will have to be taken down (or maybe just dropped for greyhounds) regularly.

I would say that only Belle Vue in the Premiership could leave the fence up all season.

I guess Edinburgh, Leicester, Redcar and Plymouth of the Campionship may be able to leave the fence up long term.