British Speedway Forum

Belle Vue Aces 2020

11 hours ago, Wee Eck said:

Goodness me. It’s a bit of a rubbish league, isn’t it? One proper number one in Jason Doyle, one future number one (maybe) in Robert Lambert, one former number one in Nikki Pedersen and loads of journeymen (Kurtz, Holder J, Harris, Kildemand, Batchelor etc)

I think Poole made the right choice - CL is not trying to pretend it’s a top ranking league, just a good balance of up and comers and been theres 

How is Bachelor not an out and out No 1, and how are B Kurtz and J Holder journeymen. Also how is D Bewley not a future No 1. Poole's decision to drop into the CL IMHO is for financial reasons, and the owner unable to sell his club. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, hyderd said:

How is Bachelor not an out and out No 1, and how are B Kurtz and J Holder journeymen. Also how is D Bewley not a future No 1. Poole's decision to drop into the CL IMHO is for financial reasons, and the owner unable to sell his club. 

If you really want an answer...Batchelor had a great 2019. But he’s still not a number one, is he? Kurtz and Holder J didn’t really improve in UK in 2019 in what was a weaker league. BK put less than half a point on his average, Holder 0.1. Even Grajczonek improved by more. Holder had 16 home meetings, 10 riding at number 1, 6 at number 5. You need and expect your number one and number five to win their first outings or, if they’re up against a top opponent, at least get 2nd. JH had one win and one paid win out of 16, 7 2nds or paid seconds, 3 thirds and 4 lasts. That’s third heat leader performance at best. Journeyman position. 
As far as Dan Bewley is concerned, it would be great to see him continue to improve. He should certainly kick on from 2019, a season that started slowly after his bad accident. And he’s having a good winter in Australia. He’s got the ability to improve in 2020, and his target should certainly be to outscore BK and Kildemand. Will that make him a proper number one? As good as Jason Doyle? Robert Lambert? Craig Cook even? Time will tell :D

• Like 1

2 hours ago, geoff58 said:

why not support the your club & speedway be positive for once !! what's with all the doom & gloom ?? enjoy the sport !!

:t:

I don’t have a club close enough to attend, let alone one to support. 
I’m maybe negative about the Premiership because of the way it’s slipped over the years, but do believe the Championship has a great future. Indeed, if Poole make a financial success in 2020, I can see every other Premiership team following their lead for 2021. A few teams might fall by the wayside, or become part of an increased NDL, but, in my view, a 15, 16, maybe 17 strong league will give supporters a better product, whichever league they currently support. 

3 hours ago, Wee Eck said:

If you really want an answer...Batchelor had a great 2019. But he’s still not a number one, is he? Kurtz and Holder J didn’t really improve in UK in 2019 in what was a weaker league. BK put less than half a point on his average, Holder 0.1. Even Grajczonek improved by more. Holder had 16 home meetings, 10 riding at number 1, 6 at number 5. You need and expect your number one and number five to win their first outings or, if they’re up against a top opponent, at least get 2nd. JH had one win and one paid win out of 16, 7 2nds or paid seconds, 3 thirds and 4 lasts. That’s third heat leader performance at best. Journeyman position. 
As far as Dan Bewley is concerned, it would be great to see him continue to improve. He should certainly kick on from 2019, a season that started slowly after his bad accident. And he’s having a good winter in Australia. He’s got the ability to improve in 2020, and his target should certainly be to outscore BK and Kildemand. Will that make him a proper number one? As good as Jason Doyle? Robert Lambert? Craig Cook even? Time will tell :D

our league is weak, we all know that, therefore you don't have to be a J Doyle to be a number 1 in any club other than Swindon, oh and T Bachelor's average is 1.1 points higher than R Lambert. Journeymen are riders who have ridden for many clubs,, at least that's what I thought. So how many clubs have BK or JH ridden for to make them journeymen.

10 minutes ago, geoff58 said:

poole have been bleed dry by matt fraud simple as that !! dout they will be better off watching the likes of newcastle berwick redcar etc !! plus travelling expenses from one end of country to the other 3 scottish teams + newcastle/scunthorpe/redcar/ the furthest they travelled in prem was b/vue & wolves !!

Now who’s being negative?!

If you own a business, and it makes money for you, are you not allowed to take money out? And, is it really “dry”?

16 minutes ago, geoff58 said:

poole have been bleed dry by matt fraud simple as that !! dout they will be better off watching the likes of newcastle berwick redcar etc !! plus travelling expenses from one end of country to the other 3 scottish teams + newcastle/scunthorpe/redcar/ the furthest they travelled in prem was b/vue & wolves !!

Tripe - they would have visited Somerset and Plymouth within the last few seasons.

4 minutes ago, hyderd said:

our league is weak, we all know that, therefore you don't have to be a J Doyle to be a number 1 in any club other than Swindon, oh and T Bachelor's average is 1.1 points higher than R Lambert. Journeymen are riders who have ridden for many clubs,, at least that's what I thought. So how many clubs have BK or JH ridden for to make them journeymen.

I prefer the following definition of a journeyman:

“a workman or sports player who is good but not outstanding”

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, geoff58 said:

The travel expenses are paid from riders home, or poss from their current location if having stayed at a hotel after racing for another club,,,,,, how many of Pooles riders will live in Poole. 

13 hours ago, Wee Eck said:

I prefer the following definition of a journeyman:

“a workman or sports player who is good but not outstanding”

Guess that makes a shed load of journeymen in our PL next season, by your reconing. 

16 hours ago, geoff58 said:

You are missing one important point - if Ford has bled Poole dry it has only been possible if he has made a decent profit to date

In most cases it seems the situation is the other way round.......

Brady is what????? 24

Jack holder is younger I think

Both have plenty of time to improve. 

Bewley should not be aiming for no1 just yet. Way to early for that. 

28 minutes ago, Phil The Ace said:

Brady is what????? 24

Jack holder is younger I think

Both have plenty of time to improve. 

both 23. Kurtz 27/9/96........Holder 23/03/96

51 minutes ago, Wee Eck said:

Mine and I suspect, many others.

Happy New Year.

2 hours ago, Phil The Ace said:

Nonsense. Bewley needs to crack on or he'll become another 'what he could have been' rider.

The example to look up to are the Pole's and Bewley and Robert Lambert are miles behind in comparison. 

I am sure that Dan Bewley, like many other riders, is always aiming to be the best he can be. 

I think the point being made is that it will be a big step for him to become a number 1 next year. Not impossible, considering the steps he has already made and the courage and determination he showed in coming back so quickly from serious injury but realistically, more likely to take him at least 2 more years. 

• Like 3

On 1/1/2020 at 11:45 AM, szkocjasid said:

It's never too early for a rider to aim for a number one spot!

100%..

Many of the very top echelon of riders all have a similar career path..

One part of which is that after around three years of riding in the top league they become the best rider in their respective teams, or a close second best if that team has an out an out world level rider like Doyle, (someone who ironically didn't follow this usual glide path)..

If Dan is to attain the level of world class, which several appear to think he can, then by the end of this season he should be aspiring to reach No1 at the Aces (especially given the level of the league nowadays), and the following year be looking for a regular heat leader level Polish ride..

Very quickly in Speedway you can stagnate at a 'reasonable' level and before you know it, several of your rivals in your age group have gone past you. And the next age group are then suddenly upon you..

Robert Lambert is already at that 'tipping point' I would suggest. 

Will he now 'level off' as a No1 heat leader in the UK and a solid 2nd Division rider in Poland, or will he move on to being a regular Polish top three rider for a team?

Smarzlik for example isn't going anywhere soon given how young he is, and the likes of Smektala, Drabik, Kubera etc are already further ahead in their careers than both Bewley and Lambert..

With 'who knows next' coming from the Polish conveyer belt of talent..

The next two years in particular will be very crucial for both Bewley and Lambert I would suggest, and by the end of that time we will have a clear picture as to what level their career paths are heading to...

Edited by mikebv