British Speedway Forum

Belle Vue Aces 2020

23 minutes ago, gazzac said:

True, Nikki Pedersen won his 3 World Titles whilst riding at Eastbourne and always said riding there and places like Wolves improved his ability on larger tracks. 

Pedersen was at Arlington in 2003 & 2007 but not 2008.

Crump called Kirkmanshulme Lane is home track during all 3 of his World Championship winning years, that was certainly not a large track.

19 hours ago, gazzac said:

True, Nikki Pedersen won his 3 World Titles whilst riding at Eastbourne and always said riding there and places like Wolves improved his ability on larger tracks. 

Whilst I don't doubt it improved technique riding on smaller tracks, I would suggest that the level of competition brought on the riders more..

Top riders of the past rode against the other top riders several times on a weekly basis in the UK, which meant they had to improve accordingly if they wanted to be No1..

Nowadays someone like Dan Bewley won't get the same impact to his career riding a smaller circuit as the opposition level won't give any kind of barometer of where he sits globally...

The likes of Bewley and Lambert need to be riding in Poland and Sweden's top leagues (on any shaped tracks) to improve their racing and position in the World rankings...

Too many times British riders have settled for a 'successful' domestic career which nowadays, in the grand scheme of World Speedway, means very little...

Edited by mikebv
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, mikebv said:

Whilst I don't doubt it improved technique riding on smaller tracks, I would suggest that the level of competition brought on the riders more..

Top riders of the past rode against the other top riders several times on a weekly basis in the UK, which meant they had to improve accordingly if they wanted to be No1..

Nowadays someone like Dan Bewley won't get the same impact to his career riding a smaller circuit as the opposition level won't give any kind of barometer of where he sits globally...

The likes of Bewley and Lambert need to be riding in Poland and Sweden's top leagues (on any shaped tracks) to improve their racing and position in the World rankings...

Too many times British riders have settled for a 'successful' domestic career which nowadays, in the grand scheme of World Speedway, means very little...

Very true, back in the day the Elite league truly was, just at little old Eastbourne, one week Pedersen riding against Crump, then Adams, then Rickardson, sometimes both and even the other heat leaders were generally top international riders. Just a shame we'll never see the like again.

On 10/21/2019 at 1:35 PM, Beowulf said:

Tai became World Champion in 2013 when he was Wolves top man, so you are incorrect.  This kind of thinking does annoy me a little. Wolves world champions also include Ole Olsen and Sam Ermolenko, it didn't do them any harm (and Hans Nielsen spent his first 4 years there). What you learn on a small track is throttle control and how to turn a bike quickly and easily. Both of these skills are handy on big tracks.

Not having a go at you Hyderd, you are generally one of most reasonable posters.  

No idea why I posted that post.Senior moment I think.

On 11/3/2019 at 4:12 PM, Phil The Ace said:

Not that safe. As It looks like fricke is giving uk a miss

hope you are wrong Phil The Ace, Max is still young and the more he races the more improvement he would/could gain

19 minutes ago, hyderd said:

hope you are wrong Phil The Ace, Max is still young and the more he races the more improvement he would/could gain

As we have seen from far too many British lads, not focusing on overseas racing when you reach a certain level can hold you back...

Max beating lower level riders time and time again over here won't improve his riding..

Giving 100% focus to Poland and the GP's in particular will deliver further down the line in his career I would think..

Hope it works out well for him if that what he decides to do..

18 minutes ago, mikebv said:

As we have seen from far too many British lads, not focusing on overseas racing when you reach a certain level can hold you back...

Max beating lower level riders time and time again over here won't improve his riding..

Giving 100% focus to Poland and the GP's in particular will deliver further down the line in his career I would think..

Hope it works out well for him if that what he decides to do..

Max will be riding against world class riders week in week out. It's not done jason Doyle any harm riding in our league. Should Max drop the UK this next season, like you I sincerely hope it works out for him, and will be cheering him on in the GP's from my sofa. 

• Like 1

On 11/3/2019 at 4:12 PM, Phil The Ace said:

Not that safe. As It looks like fricke is giving uk a miss

I'm not in the least bit surprised by this.

Have to get Bjerre now. Absolutely critical. Cook should also be a consideration. 

I always find it interesting when you put Cook and Max side by side. Go back 7 years when they were both at Edinburgh and look at them now. The difference is quite staggering and Max dropping the UK will mean he only gets better.

Edited by acef

8 hours ago, acef said:

I'm not in the least bit surprised by this.

Have to get Bjerre now. Absolutely critical. Cook should also be a consideration. 

I always find it interesting when you put Cook and Max side by side. Go back 7 years when they were both at Edinburgh and look at them now. The difference is quite staggering and Max dropping the UK will mean he only gets better.

Yeah Max might get better but he'll be off the radar then, hope he doesn't go .....

I have heard that Freddie jakobsen will start at reserve so.....

Either

Kurtz

Bjerre

Wright

Bewley

Lidsey

F jakobsen

4 pointer

Or

Batch

Bjerre

Wright