British Speedway Forum

Poole 2020

DC2

7 hours ago, E I Addio said:

Yes, but where did those rumours spring from and what is there validity.?

I have a lot of time for Rick Frost.He is a genuine bloke and Speedway is poorer without him but in 2010 he was still a bit of a novice promoter. I noticed as time went on he distanced himself from the Trump Sandhu position.

The dispute was primarily about points limit s and money paid to riders. Matt Ford at the time, could have afforded it as Poole were very successful but he good see that it was going to drive some clubs out of business or at least into the lower leagues, which wasn’t going to be good for the sport. It all became academic anyway because between the lot of them they still managed to lose the TV deal and mess the sport up completely.

Peterborough are definitely poorer without him

Edited by scoobydoo
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, orion said:

Plenty of validity ..  i was showed  the text messages being sent at the time .. The dispute was about Ford being bitter after losing the final and then going out of his way to make sure Cov never could track the side they wanted . Pure bitterness and revenge at the expense of sport . .Boro sadly just got caught in the crossfire .

That winter cause untold damage to the sport 

Poole didn’t lose the final until 4th October. Before that , in September there was a long interview in Speedway Star with Stuart Douglas about the financial issues that needed to be addressed at the AGM. Whatever input Ford may or may not have had the financial issues were there before Poole lost the Play Offs.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, E I Addio said:

Poole didn’t lose the final until 4th October. Before that , in September there was a long interview in Speedway Star with Stuart Douglas about the financial issues that needed to be addressed at the AGM. Whatever input Ford may or may not have had the financial issues were there before Poole lost the Play Offs.

Now you're getting there.

Ford bought the votes he needed by pandering to the likes of Lakeside and Eastbourne.. who basically dragged the sport down and destroyed it.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, BWitcher said:

Now you're getting there.

Ford bought the votes he needed by pandering to the likes of Lakeside and Eastbourne.. who basically dragged the sport down and destroyed it.

How did he pander to Lakeside and Eastbourne ? Swindon, Belle Vue and Wolves were also opposed to the higher points limit Coventry and Peterboro wanted . Eastbourne had been losing big money for years before 2010, 

The claim being made by Toto above is that Ford wanted to “ put Coventry and Peterboro out of business without a care in the world “ . He/she was asked to explain that but hasn’t done so.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, orion said:

Plenty of validity ..  i was showed  the text messages being sent at the time .. The dispute was about Ford being bitter after losing the final and then going out of his way to make sure Cov never could track the side they wanted . Pure bitterness and revenge at the expense of sport . .Boro sadly just got caught in the crossfire .

That winter cause untold damage to the sport 

The only things Ford was ever interested in was 

1. Winning the Title.

2. Making Money.

Once he couldn’t guarantee either he lost interest, he never gave a stuff about UK speedway. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Dornier said:

Wasn`t that the time that they brought in the new rule you could only have two riders above eight point average and  Coventry had three ! don`t think it was so much about the points limit. but hey I might be wrong.

I had it in my mind that it was more about the conversion rate for riders moving up a league which was agreed prior to the AGM at a meeting that Coventry weren't invited to.Consequently that screwed up the bees plans as they had got deals to take two riders from the lower division Kenni Larsen being one (can't recall the other ).

2 hours ago, E I Addio said:

How did he pander to Lakeside and Eastbourne ? Swindon, Belle Vue and Wolves were also opposed to the higher points limit Coventry and Peterboro wanted . Eastbourne had been losing big money for years before 2010, 

The claim being made by Toto above is that Ford wanted to “ put Coventry and Peterboro out of business without a care in the world “ . He/she was asked to explain that but hasn’t done so.

Rule changes were agreed to that benefited certain clubs, ones that wouldn't normally have past. It was you scratch my back, I'll scratch yours. 

Lakeside were infamous for rolling over to Poole.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Dave Jones said:

I had it in my mind that it was more about the conversion rate for riders moving up a league which was agreed prior to the AGM at a meeting that Coventry weren't invited to.Consequently that screwed up the bees plans as they had got deals to take two riders from the lower division Kenni Larsen being one (can't recall the other ).

That was one of the reasons yes. 

2 hours ago, BWitcher said:

Rule changes were agreed to that benefited certain clubs, ones that wouldn't normally have past. It was you scratch my back, I'll scratch yours. 

Lakeside were infamous for rolling over to Poole.

Lakeside were the club that asked the SCB to investigate the claims of Poole cheating in 2009. No other club . So much for rolling over to Poole. Not that it did any good because the investigation was a stitch up, but that’s a different story, not under discussion now. Quite apart from Lakeside, how did he pander to Eastbourne to buy their vote ? 

What rule changes were agreed, and which clubs did they benefit ? When were these rule changes agreed ?

4 hours ago, Dave Jones said:

Fisher I think? And Sundstrom at P’boro. 

orion hit the nail on the head with his post. 

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, E I Addio said:

Lakeside were the club that asked the SCB to investigate the claims of Poole cheating in 2009. No other club . So much for rolling over to Poole. Not that it did any good because the investigation was a stitch up, but that’s a different story, not under discussion now. Quite apart from Lakeside, how did he pander to Eastbourne to buy their vote ? 

What rule changes were agreed, and which clubs did they benefit ? When were these rule changes agreed ?

Just go back and read the threads at the time.

Ford was the biggest cancer in the sport, hundreds, if not thousands walked away from it in disgust at his actions season upon season.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

As I asked earlier, how did Matt Ford screw over Coventry and Peterbough. He didn’t Coventry were Screwed over by their portion. Trump caused many of the issues and was righty banned from the sport for life. 

If Frost thought he was being screwed over, why was he a friend of Matts and sponsored the Pirates over the following seasons?

4 minutes ago, BWitcher said:

Ford was the biggest cancer in the sport, hundreds, if not thousands walked away from it in disgust at his actions season upon season.

Rubbish. When Poole turned up other clubs had their biggest attendances. That’s a fact.

Success is always viewed with bitterness and jealousy from rival fans and here’s a prime example.

15 minutes ago, Steve Shovlar said:

Rubbish. When Poole turned up other clubs had their biggest attendances. That’s a fact.

Success is always viewed with bitterness and jealousy from rival fans and here’s a prime example.

Yes, very jealous of seeing crowds fall year on year with scandal after scandal, almost always involving Poole.

As has been said, you reap what you sew.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, BWitcher said:

You are not answering the questions. We are talking specifically about him allegedly wanting to put Coventry and Peterboro out of business

I wouldn’t go as far as to say he was a cancer but.  The controversy he attracted, some of it justified,  was not good for the sport, nor were some of his tactics, but they weren’t aimed at one or two clubs in particular. I am thinking , for example of Joe Screen being declared unfit the night before the new greensheets were compiled yet fit enough to score a 15 point maximum in Denmark the next  night , but maintained a British average just low enough to fit Hans Anderson in the team. Then of course the dodgy heat 20 rain offs in one or two TV meetings. Those things I know sickened many fans but the reality is most other clubs were up to similar tricks, it’s just that Ford seemed to do much more of it.

However , I don’t accept Ford master minded the winter of discontent. Rules were passed in the absence of Coventry any Peterboro because they chose to walk out of the AGM. Certainly Ford wasn’t pandering to either Eastbourne or Lakeside.

Edited by E I Addio
  • Like 1