British Speedway Forum

Poole 2020

DC2

1 hour ago, Halifaxtiger said:

I don't think your point about success can be under estimated. Word I got was that a hugely successful NL Birmingham drew bigger gates than a disastrously unsuccessful EL Brummies side - there were certainly some on here who swore that they would never go given the drop in standards and ended up choking on their own venom as Birmingham won back to back titles.

It is true that if the team is poor attendances could fall lower than the 70% figure stated, but if they are successful some of the 30% might go anyway. Stopping going altogether in the face of a winning side is much harder than walking away if they are rubbish whatever league they are in, and it isn't as though the team will be massively different - as Matt Ford stated, 70% of the riders will be the same anyway. He's right. 

One thing I believe is certain : Ford won't have made this decision without a deal of thought, analysis and consideration

not to say more than a cursory glance at his bank balance!!!!!

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, BWitcher said:

How many times is this going to be trotted out.. NO THEY WILL NOT.

Championship teams are significantly weaker and that will soon be realised when the Poole team is announced.

The difference between Leicester and Poole.. and Birmingham you mentioned... Poole are used to success, used to the top riders. A lot of their fans have already left as the top riders disappeared... even a table topping side this year couldn't bring them back... 

I suggest you check the figures.

Its actually 61% ( including 40% of heat leaders) at present. Include Porsing, Lidsey & Berge (who all average under 5) and it goes up to 65%. Conceivably, any rider averaging under 6.5 could do, too (Andersen has already been mentioned on this thread as a potential no 1). Now we are up to 71%.  

It depends on the points limit, of course, but I think Ford is - at worst - only slightly out.  

Many have mentioned that it was the change of race night that damaged Poole's attendances not their on track performances or the quality of riders, for 2019 at least. A switch back to Wednesday night with a successful team could actually improve attendances despite the overall drop in rider quality.  

Taking into account Matt Ford's estimate of a 25% cut in costs, you can see his reasoning for the change.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Aces51 said:

Josh G would have a converted average of at least 10.93 and Klindt 11.14 in the CL , that shows you the difference in standard of the two leagues.

True, but if you discount all those over 7 (other than those who already ride CL such as Cook, Masters, King etc) there are just 10 who almost certainly couldn't or wouldn't drop down. That's 20% of the PL rider strength. 

I think its more a question of the CL points limit being high enough to include all those who could ride at that level. 

I also think those assessed averages are hugely inflated. Danny King would be over 11 (8.67), Erik Riss 9.9 (8.4) and Sam Masters 11.02 (9.05).

Edited by Halifaxtiger

1 minute ago, Halifaxtiger said:

True, but if you discount all those over 7 (other than those who already ride CL such as Cook, Masters, King etc) there are just 10 who almost certainly couldn't or wouldn't drop down. That's 20% of the PL rider strength. 

I think its more a question of the CL points limit being high enough to include all those who could ride at that level. 

Well riders signed so far suggests to me that the limit will be high. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Halifaxtiger said:

4 minutes ago, poolebolton said:

Well riders signed so far suggests to me that the limit will be high. 

If the team points limit is increased in the CL, without a corresponding increase in the PL, the difference in standards between the two leagues would obviously diminish but so would the relative costs.

However we look at it you do see many of the same riders in both leagues but PL teams have significantly more quality riders than CL teams.

That isn't too say that the entertainment level is better in the PL. I regularly watch NDL meetings. They may not have the skills on display in the PL but nonetheless can provide excellent entertainment.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Aces51 said:

If the team points limit is increased in the CL, without a corresponding increase in the PL, the difference in standards between the two leagues would obviously diminish but so would the relative costs.

However we look at it you do see many of the same riders in both leagues but PL teams have significantly more quality riders than CL teams.

That isn't too say that the entertainment level is better in the PL. I regularly watch NDL meetings. They may not have the skills on display in the PL but nonetheless can provide excellent entertainment.

Completely agree, but I'd maintain that Matt Ford's 70% is still about right. 

I have always maintained that the quality of the track is more important than the rider. Where that's concerned, you're privileged :D:approve: because NL speedway at the NSS is better than most I have seen on BT from PL tracks. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Aces51 said:

The bspa should increase the PL team limit to 46.5 so that we can keep the same team

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Skidder1 said:

So have Lynn and Ippo reported huge (or any) increases in attendance for any normal league meetings then?  Just asking....

I don't know.. But what I read is that Poole are the most successful team over the last 10 years, with the best sponsors and the best crowds.

Yet Ford wants to charge the highest in the league for supporters. Not the best way to let the young ones to see whats on offer!!  But more ££ for Ford and that's what counts in his book. You should know that by now .

Ford is ££ for him. When that stops he don't want to know... Simples

Edited by Bald Bloke

22 minutes ago, Arthur54 said:

So with the news Berwick, Kent and Sheffield won't to move up, have Poole jumped the gun, looks like Premier league will be bigger than the championship and it sounds like eurosport want 10 teams 

Berwick and Kent????  No way.

• Like 1